2007 400 Auto 4X4 bogging, overfueling - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

ATV: 2007 400 Automatic 4X4
2007 400 Auto 4X4 bogging, overfueling

Hey guys,

I acquired this bike from my Dad about 1 1/2 years ago. It is all factory as far as I can tell and has 4,000 miles. It had been sitting for a couple years when I got it so I drained the fuel, disassembled and cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel lines, replaced the spark plug, replaced the battery and changed the oil (Maxim motorsport oil). After this it starts and idles perfectly but has a significant bog on acceleration and backfires through the exhaust. I got sidetracked on other projects and just got back to it last month.

Since then I've recleaned the carb, removed and flushed the gas tank, checked the air filter, adjusted the valves and ran a compression test (175 psi). With the air intake duct removed from the carb I can see the slide is moving freely and there is a heavy mist of fuel coming from the needle off idle. If I hold my hand in front of (not covering) the air inlet it gets fuel on it. There is air pulsing out of the carb inlet and also the crankcase vent hose. With my temp gun the exhaust pipe near the head reads about 850 degrees revved up in the shop. The bog is worse under load and the new plug is already getting black.

I've been a diesel truck and equipment mechanic for 20 years but this single cylinder unit is new territory for me. Are the air intake pulses normal for a single cylinder? I've searched this forum and Googled a lot looking for a fix.

The auto choke moves freely, is spring loaded out and measures 5 ohms across the coil. The needle on it is perfect and I can't see issues with the seat although its tough to see into the carb.

I removed the spark arrestor to see if maybe the exhaust was restricted and had no change.

I thought maybe timing so I tried to follow the procedure in the manual to check timing with a timing light through the inspection hole but it was splashing too much oil to see the marks. I read about the flywheel magnet issues so I thought maybe the magnets had come loose and damaged/bent the ignition pick up so I removed the magneto cover and found that it has the updated flywheel (looks like it could be an RM Stator FW) and no damage to the stator or pick up.

The carb has all the factory jets and the only thing I haven't verified is that the needle is factory. I'm near sea level, maybe 200 feet.

I'm stuck on troubleshooting until I get the mag cover gasket and reassemble that but I'm nearing my wits end. I was studying up on the CVK carb last night and have a better understanding of the Pilot screw and that it effects A/F ratio over the entire range not just idle. Am I over thinking this? Is it simply a pilot screw adjustment? I'm at 1 3/4 turns out per the manual base setting.

Sorry this got so long but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Keith

2007 Arctic Cat 400 4X4 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Nobody? I know I got long winded but I'll take anything at this point, information, opinions, guesses.......

I haven't ridden in years but rode with a friend a couple weekends ago and got the bug again. Help me get back out there.

Keith

post #3 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,785 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800

Make sure you have the collar in there. The diaphragm has to be seated correctly in the groove. They can be a pain, I freeze them first in the freezer.
Read this.
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=212576
FirecatV2 and Mechaneck like this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Door.

The collar is in place and the diaphragm is seated correctly. The slide moves freely by hand and under vacuum while running the engine.

I did read that jetting thread and will refer back to it once I get the cover gasket and get the engine back together. Parts are supposed to be here tomorrow.

I did check my valve timing last night by referencing the timing mark to piston TDC and valve overlap. I didn't pull the rocker cover to verify the cam timing marks. That may be my next step if adjusting the pilot screw doesn't lean it out. I also checked the resistance of the ignition pick up and it's in spec.

I have a video that shows how much fuel is coming out the needle/main jet and shows fuel mist blowing out the carb inlet but it doesn't look like I can post it here.

Keith
post #5 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator

Super Moderator
Sled: Radio Flyer vintage late seventy's
ATV: XTZ V2 550H1 50
This is an interesting one as you have checked everything. The "choke" is really an enricher on these carbs correct? Sounds like it's rich but it might just be the wrong jet for sea level. The air intake is clear of obstructions? No mice taking up residence while it was stored.

xtz,v2,550h1,50
post #6 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Iím sure you know this, but make sure you are on compression TDC as the marks line up on exhaust as well. Valves should be loose at TDC compression.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #7 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Firecat,

I agree that the "choke" is an enricher and it is the one thing that I'm still trying to completely understand. Most of the information I've found on those is not specific to the AC unit and seems to talk about the plunger extending when the wax pellet is heated. Mine is spring loaded out which seems backwards. I've checked the resistance across the unit and it's not open. I've been leery of jumpering battery power to it without knowing if that's the proper procedure for this specific unit. I will turn the key switch on tonight and see if it generates heat over time.

Jets are the stock sizes listed in the manual and I would think our thick air at sea level would cause it to go lean vs rich. The intake is clear and it still runs rich without any of the intake ducting connected (open carb).

Door,

Yep, both valves closed at TDC Compression and Valve Overlap occurs at TDC Exhaust.

Thanks!

post #8 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
FirecatV2 likes this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #9 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=336512

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #10 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
http://www.keihincarbs.com/tips/gate.html

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode