98 300 4x4 Stalls When Warm - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

98 300 4x4 Stalls When Warm

I have a 98 Arctic Cat 300 4x4 that begins stalling after about 15 minutes of plowing. Up until that point it runs perfectly fine but will stall when I stop to raise or lower the plow. It usually starts right back up and runs fine as I stay on the throttle. Initially I thought it may be overheating so I installed a fan to draw cool air through the oil cooler but this did not solve the problem. I have also cleaned the carb, changed the plug, adjusted the valves and made sure the oil cooler wasnít plugged. I am at a total loss. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-21-2018, 07:37 AM

ATV: 2008700SD and 2002 400 FIS
I wonder if your battery is getting weak or the winch is drawing it down too far. Possibly you could fit a bigger battery. I was able to put a full size automotive Yellow Top on my 700 Diesel, helps a lot, still at night with all the lights on including LED's in about an hour, the lights will start to flicker from low voltage. I have a huge 5000 lb winch (way overkill). Even with a decent sized alternator, it can't keep up. I suspect the stator on your 300, just can't keep up. You could instal a volt meter or buy a smaller winch, maybe a 1500 will draw less juice. A bigger battery, fully charged should give you a longer running time. Lastly, you can possibly, change how you plow to use winch less?
makemusic116 likes this.

2014 700TRV XT EPS, 2008 700SD Intercooled Turbo

Last edited by Wallamatogus; 11-21-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-21-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallamatogus View Post
I wonder if your battery is getting weak or the winch is drawing it down too far. Possibly you could fit a bigger battery. I was able to put a full size automotive Yellow Top on my 700 Diesel, helps a lot, still at night with all the lights on including LED's in about an hour, the lights will start to flicker from low voltage. I have a huge 5000 lb winch (way overkill). Even with a decent sized alternator, it can't keep up. I suspect the stator on your 300, just can't keep up. You could instal a volt meter or buy a smaller winch, maybe a 1500 will draw less juice. A bigger battery, fully charged should give you a longer running time. Lastly, you can possibly, change how you plow to use winch less?
Thank you for the response! I could be wrong but I honestly don't think it is related to the battery or the winch. It has a brand new AGM battery and I checked the battery voltage after it happened and it was still putting out 11.5-12 volts. Once it warms up I will make a push, come to a stop and it will stall even before I raise the plow. If I allow the ATV to cool down for a half hour or so it will start up and idle great until it warms back up again and the problem reoccurs. It definitely seems to be directly related to warming up.

Last edited by makemusic116; 11-21-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 AM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,785 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
98 300 4x4 Stalls When Warm

If your battery is at a11.5 v it is the battery or charging system. Should be putting out 13.7-14.5 when running.

makemusic116 likes this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #5 of 21 Old 11-21-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
If your battery is at a11.5 v it is the battery or charging system. Should be putting out 13.7-14.5 when running.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear the battery itself had 11.5-12 volts after being removed from my wheeler. I wanted to put it on the trickle charger and swap my old battery back in to see if anything changed. The voltage regulator was checked before I removed the new battery and then once the old battery was put back in and is charging as it should. Swapping the batteries did not change or resolve the issue.

Last edited by makemusic116; 11-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-22-2018, 08:54 AM

ATV: 2008700SD and 2002 400 FIS
Next question, does it only stall when plowing? I'll bet when the winch is operating, voltage drops a lot. Guessing the stator on a 98 AC 300 has very low charging ability. A tiny battery that has been drawn down to 11.5-12 volts, when it gets hit with a huge draw from the winch, suddenly has all it can do to provide a spark for the motor. Honestly, it sounds exactly like my 700 Diesel. After an hour or 2 (I have a huge driveway and parking lot) voltage will drop, even with a 45 amp engine mounted alternator, it has actually stalled, not from spark plug failing, obviously, but from fuel pump failing to pump diesel. I let it idle and go have a cup of coffee. This winter, I've tried to plow differently and not have had that issue. Instead of lifting the plow all the way up, when backing up, I only lift it a bit or even let it drag. I plowed for several hours yesterday, never bothered. Honestly, if it is showing 11.5-12 volts after only plowing a few minutes, I think it's not related to carburetor or fuel system. The only other thing that I've experienced like that, was crud in the fuel tank of a 2001 AC 500, but that was random stalling. If you remove gas line from carburetor and let it drain into a clear jar, and you get a strong flow of clean gas, it's not that. A misadjusted carburetor float would show up when you weren't plowing... BTW, I was thinking about your issue yesterday while plowing.
makemusic116 likes this.

2014 700TRV XT EPS, 2008 700SD Intercooled Turbo

Last edited by Wallamatogus; 11-22-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallamatogus View Post
Next question, does it only stall when plowing? I'll bet when the winch is operating, voltage drops a lot. Guessing the stator on a 98 AC 300 has very low charging ability. A tiny battery that has been drawn down to 11.5-12 volts, when it gets hit with a huge draw from the winch, suddenly has all it can do to provide a spark for the motor. Honestly, it sounds exactly like my 700 Diesel. After an hour or 2 (I have a huge driveway and parking lot) voltage will drop, even with a 45 amp engine mounted alternator, it has actually stalled, not from spark plug failing, obviously, but from fuel pump failing to pump diesel. I let it idle and go have a cup of coffee. This winter, I've tried to plow differently and not have had that issue. Instead of lifting the plow all the way up, when backing up, I only lift it a bit or even let it drag. I plowed for several hours yesterday, never bothered. Honestly, if it is showing 11.5-12 volts after only plowing a few minutes, I think it's not related to carburetor or fuel system. The only other thing that I've experienced like that, was crud in the fuel tank of a 2001 AC 500, but that was random stalling. If you remove gas line from carburetor and let it drain into a clear jar, and you get a strong flow of clean gas, it's not that. A misadjusted carburetor float would show up when you weren't plowing... BTW, I was thinking about your issue yesterday while plowing.
Haha Iím glad youíre thinking of me. It stalls whether Iím plowing or not which is why Iím not convinced itís battery/charging related. I used it this weekend to retrieve a deer and had the very same issue...as soon as it warmed up it wouldnít idle unless I stayed on the gas. The strange part is that once it starts back up it runs fine it just wonít idle. I am definitely wondering about the fuel tank not venting properly because a lot of people have mentioned that as a possible issue. I also havenít checked the float for proper adjustment so Iíll try that too. There is definitely a direct correlation to it reaching a certain temperature and not wanting to idle. Iím sure itís something simple and the old 98 300 isnít super high tech so there are only so many things it can be.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator

Super Moderator
Sled: Radio Flyer vintage late seventy's
ATV: XTZ V2 550H1 50
Is it a manual choke or auto? Loosen the gas cap to rule out venting issues.
makemusic116 and Wallamatogus like this.

xtz,v2,550h1,50
post #9 of 21 Old 11-22-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirecatV2 View Post
Is it a manual choke or auto? Loosen the gas cap to rule out venting issues.
Itís a manual choke. Thanks Iíll definitely try that next time!
post #10 of 21 Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM

I had the same problem with our Prowler. It would start stalling when the plow winch was engaged and kill a battery in 15 minutes. Even a car battery! Turned out the warn winch was shot. It still worked but drew enormous amps when in use. Replaced the winch and no more problems.
makemusic116 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode