ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum (https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/)
-   Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting (https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/utility-atv-repair-maintenance-troubleshooting/)
-   -   random no start (https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/utility-atv-repair-maintenance-troubleshooting/449881-random-no-start.html)

zrock 07-02-2017 08:05 PM

random no start

having issues with my 500 core and random no start just click click click.. its been happening the last to rides. Last week it would not start in the morning so i figured i may have left the key on or something and drained the battery so i charged it and it was good for the day.. Today i tossed on the charger before leaving started no problem. sat on the trailer for 2 hours and no start. Hooked the jumper cables to the other bike and just jumped starter solenoid and off we went. then randomly throughout the day it would start or not start.. same thing when i unloaded from the trailer started right up drove it 20 feet and no start..
battery voltage is 12.63 and after trying to start the voltage drops to 12.2 - 12.3... idle voltage is 14.75 and idle up is 14.92.. So im leaning towards bad starter solenoid?

doorfx 07-02-2017 10:10 PM

Bad battery.

zrock 07-02-2017 10:15 PM

Ya that was in my thoughts as well. Going to have it load tested tomorrow get the print out and take it back. It's not even 6 months old and the second one that they said was better than the cat battery

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

doorfx 07-02-2017 10:17 PM

You really need to keep it on a tender 24/7

ArcticFrost 07-02-2017 11:32 PM

I've never put my batteries on a tender or charged them on my machines but I do use them almost every day. Both are sealed AGM I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx 07-03-2017 08:29 AM

If you use them every day no worries.

craiger1 07-03-2017 09:13 AM

Mine had a similar issue

Mine started off as you are describing, then progressively got worse until the starter stopped working all together and I had to pull start it every time. Every time it wouldn't start it would just click (once each time I hit the starter) from the starter solenoid. I had a buddy hit the starter button while I had a voltmeter on the starter and ground (I used the battery ground), it measured 12.xxVolts, so I figured it was the starter itself.

I took apart the starter and was amazed what I saw. It was almost completely filled with dust particles from the brushes. I had a can of electric motor cleaner around, so I sprayed the armature and casing with it. This cleaned it out pretty good but the armature shaft where the brushes contact (copper plates) were still black, I took some 800 grit sandpaper and sanded it until it was shinny copper, the black dust was also lodged in between the copper plates, so I took a toothpick and cleaned it out. I also sprayed some cleaner in and around the brushes as they weren't free moving and kept getting stuck / hung up, I just kept pushing them in and spraying cleaner until they were completely freed up.

I put it all back together and has been starting strong ever since. The Positive brush however was very small (worn down) and in my case I will need to get a new brush eventually. If your starter was easy to access like mine was it may be worth a shot. Took me about 1.5 hours, but was taking my time, also cost was $0

zrock 07-03-2017 04:00 PM

Ya I ride quite regularly so no need for a maintainer. Only time I put it on the maintainer is when I use the winch just to top off the battery. Put one of my other battery's on that I suspected as bad but turns out it was good. Also cleaned all the contacts on the solenoid and seems to be good the feed side of solenoid was pretty rusted up.. will have to go to the bike shop tomorow and test the battery. Non of the auto dealers could test without a CCA number on batt

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk