Why did my water/oil pump shaft seize? - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Procross 2012-? General talk regarding 2012 & newer

1Likes
  • 1 Post By chripopper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Why did my water/oil pump shaft seize?

Hello, i have a -12 800 with a seized oil pump shaft. It got completely stuck and locked the engine up when it was idling.

The shaft is really bent and the only clue i can see is that the shaft has been grinding the bushing towards the waterpump, so the impeller has been grinding the housing a little bit.

I've bench tested the oil pump and in about 8 oil drops to each cylinder the shaft gets 1. Is this normal? Check valves all open at about 2.5psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

I can now answer my own question,
THE OIL CAP failed and created a vacuum lock in the reservoir....! After i found the problem i googled the oil caps and found out that it was a known issue, strange No dealer ever told me.

The reason the jugs made it is that there was a little premix in the gas tank due to an earlier rebuild.
JOE G likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chripopper For This Useful Post:
favoritos (04-09-2019)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM

Dealers rarely ever help the common man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Do you have a angled filler neck. When I got my 12 f8 I replaced oil cap to newer design after I read this article

This was a pretty highly talked about topic in 2012/2013...if you bought the sled new, your dealer should have let you know...all the 2012's with the 800 engine, because of the angled filler neck design, had potential oil air lock issues. With the angled neck design, it made filling it much easier than a straight neck but the little ball in the vent of the cap does not work at an angle. Until a new designed one was released the solution was to drill a small hole on the angled neck just below the vent cap and/or do not fill the oil above the sight glass. The 2013 models and newer were changed to a straight neck design....a little harder to fill but the vent worked.
Too bad your dealer didn't let you know because it was truly a pretty hot topic back then.....been a non issue since the redesign. And from what I heard it was no longer an issue for anyone who drilled the hole in the neck.
I know that doesn't help your issue today.....unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM

That cap on the right is the new style I put on my 12 f800 and that was also on my 18 8000. 2019 they changed cap design again ( left side in pic ). Donít know why

post #6 of 6 Old Today, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F7snopr View Post
Do you have a angled filler neck. When I got my 12 f8 I replaced oil cap to newer design after I read this article

This was a pretty highly talked about topic in 2012/2013...if you bought the sled new, your dealer should have let you know...all the 2012's with the 800 engine, because of the angled filler neck design, had potential oil air lock issues. With the angled neck design, it made filling it much easier than a straight neck but the little ball in the vent of the cap does not work at an angle. Until a new designed one was released the solution was to drill a small hole on the angled neck just below the vent cap and/or do not fill the oil above the sight glass. The 2013 models and newer were changed to a straight neck design....a little harder to fill but the vent worked.
Too bad your dealer didn't let you know because it was truly a pretty hot topic back then.....been a non issue since the redesign. And from what I heard it was no longer an issue for anyone who drilled the hole in the neck.
I know that doesn't help your issue today.....unfortunately.

Thanks for the info!
I have the angled filler neck, and i've had the sled since new, never heard a word from the dealer regarding this pretty stupid design problem. I've drilled a hole in the cap for now..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Procross 2012-?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode