Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

How long do you let your 800 warm up

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  favoritos 
#1 ·
I always let mine warm up at least a good ten minutes. Left a place and about 10 miles in blew a cylinder with 2200 miles on it. Being I have the extended cat care the dealer and cat is taking care of it but the mechanic at the dealer says it was from not letting it warm up enough. Had let it warm up about 5 minutes before we took off and it was still somewhat warm as we weren't there all that long. Wasn't really on the gas all that hard maybe doing about half throttle like is said after a good ten miles. I always let it warm up at least 10 min when it's dead cold, so my Q is if this is not enough how long does everyone else let theirs warm up? Most everyone else I ride with fires theirs up for a minute or two and takes off, I'm out firing mine up long before anyone else cuz I always have with a 2stroke.

#4 ·
I let mine idle for about 5 mins before I back out of the trailer, then I let it run till the heat exchanger is warm before taking off. Time isn't a very good way to judge whether it's warm enough or not, but it seems like your procedure would be sufficient unless it is ungodly cold.

#7 ·
I check the rear heat exchanger if it's warm your good to go then I drive maybe 1/4 throttle up the road to get to my spot to go on the trails by then everything is warm my dd,clutches,brakes etc.I trail ride on power for the first 4 km then we got about 1200 km of groomed trails right around my place by the time I am wot at all she is warm

#13 ·
Of course I start it up in the trailer as soon as we park and then I start putting all my riding junk on and getting my **** together. That probably adds up to 15 minutes when its all said and done. Then I check the temp and back her out.

#9 ·
I have KOSO water temp sensor installed in coolant flow leaving the engine.
If I waited to 110F, I would never go anywhere!!

With a stone cold sled I usually start and let sit for a minute or two then run on the jackstand for a minute. I'll then start out on the trial but taking it easy for the first couple miles till everything comes up to temp

The coolant system on the laydown engine is designed to make it very hard to cold seize an engine. Coolant is always flowing.

So the OP was out riding and stopped for a break and then went out to ride again. With the sled somewhat warm let it warm up about 5 minutes before he took off and wasn't really on the gas all that hard maybe doing about half throttle and after a good ten miles blew a cylinder.

Sounds very odd to me

#11 ·
I agree, his "warm up and ride habits" sound way more conservative than mine

Reactions: BL'sF7
#14 ·
Not an 800 owner but from your description sounds like you were doing it right in my opinion. My 600 two strokes I do the similar thing but maybe not quite 10 minutes. In the mornings I run on jackstands a little just to help the belt and tracks out a little and by running backwards first... Eliminate the ice crushing machine mode!

#15 ·
We all have the new 800 HO motors in our group. Most of the time we start the sleds and go back inside to put on helmets for the first ride of the day. I don't think we have ever had as much a five minutes before heading out to the trail. I will say that most first of the day starting points do require some slow street riding to get to the trail. I have done just a few blocks of that sometimes before hitting the hammer pretty good.

One of the sleds has 6K+ miles and the original motor. The pistons have held up great, but the rest of the sled has needed work. Reeds, primary clutch, stator, and almost all the wearable rear skid components.

I hope there isn't something else going on with the motor on the OP's sled. We have about 25,000 miles combined on the motors in our group, and all have gone over 2,600 miles. I have yet to see one go down.

Reactions: Snowcat14
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.