Do you like your boots? - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
General Snowmobile Discussion Anything snowmobile related. Arctic Cat or not.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do you like your boots?

I see all the cool new boots and I need to jump on this new lacing knob system. That and my lacrosse icemans from over twenty years ago are finally wore through the top from hooking in stirrups. What brand and style are you riding with and what do you like or hate about them? Is it warm where you ride or are you crossing lakes at -10 @ WOT? What about the new lace systems, seems to work for snowboarders what about us real athletes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator

Super Moderator
Sled: 2019 ZR 800 RR
10-11 Mileage: 2850
09-10 Mileage: 3000
08-09 Mileage: 3500
07-08 Mileage: 2150
06-07 Mileage: 1500
I goofed around with the boa style systems a few times. They are pretty cool. They are also spendy for what they do. I don't fool around lacing my boots much during a normal day of riding. It wasn't a big deal for me to have a quick system.

I'm also a little cheap. I just use good hunting/hiking style boots. I do get them with good uppers and soles. Waterproof, breathable, durable, and good grip, are my priorities. I am surprised by how well they work for the money. I have not had issues with wet or cold feet until the boots wear out. I do try to "save" my riding boots a little from daily wear. Basically, I just use them for snowmobiling until they start to get worn down. Then, they turn into work boots.

We stopped to eat and noticed other riders coming in with snow jammed in their helmets, jackets and gloves. They had snow everywhere. We looked out the door and couldn't see across the street. Six inches of snow fell while we ate a few burgers. That was the start of a great ride.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Sled: 1997 t cat,1997 zrt 600
the BOA lace system has been a bout a long time, and most that use it like it, its faster easier on off's is it best feature
there nice when your older and fatter LOL
but like most things today there over priced
the key to any boot lasting is care and how you wear /abuse them or not
good boots the more often you clean and treat leather longer they will last , and using a boot dryer will add yrs like a battery tender will add life to a battery, the easy slow drying of them, makes them last

if the price tag doesn't scare you and the fit is good, odds are you will like BOA lace system boots
if your normal GOOD boots last a LONG time with your basic care, so will good BOA lace Boots
just watch out for some of the newer models that are more Motorcross style, as there NOT made for walking to such things, there made for MX bike riders to add way more ankle protection and such from coming off small foot pegs and such while riding as normal MX boot protect them
if you ever worn a pair of MX boots and tried to walk far in them you will know what I mean here LOL

and with all boots, everyone's feet are different, what I like you may not and what I find WARM you also may not
best advice is, go try some one you like an go from there, and keep in mind how much insulation they have, normally its measured in gram's
anything over 600 is good cold weather boots, more is better if your more sensitive to cold and or feet don't move much to make warmth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-16-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I picked up a pair of rocky blizzard or something like that along the line because the icemans didnt have much life left in them. They ended up being work boots right away because I liked them so much and I went back to the icemans for the sled. I was thinking about a fresh pair of those rockys dedicated for riding but these boa things made me giggle when messing with a pair at the dealership. Theres a bunch of screws in one ankle too so more support from a stiffer boot might be a good thing.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-16-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess my main concern was the boa system and the wires and gear systems and how they hold up to our kind of abuse. Not everyone wears out boots on top and bottom at once like we can.

I appreciate the input and am leaning towards the klim arctic ones. Havnt tried their gear yet but they seem to be the "in" brand either because of marketing or an actual good product. I should be spending all my money on gas and oil but the weather isnt co-operating because I got a new machine and wrecked everyone's season.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update. I picked up the Klim arctic boots and didnt like the way they fit. Size was fine but the single boa doesnt compare to a dual boa system in my opinion. The way the tounge has material bunched up on the sides didnt seem ideal either. I could imagine snow packing in the wrinkles and making a mess of things. The bottom sole insert didnt fit right either and was bunching and wrinkling in the boot but that might have gone away with wear.

I picked up a pair of Motorfist alpha boots and I like those much better so far. The dual boa is great and the tounge is smoother and less likely to have snow build ups. I cant comment on the warmness yet but they seem like they will be fine.
mrbb likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-22-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
Sled: 15'ZR8000 LXR, 74 Panther
I have Trukke boots, the whole front opens up

Owning a Thundercat is like having a totally hot wife..... All of your friends want to see it, feel it and check it out..... They all want to know what it is like to ride it, but if they only knew how much time and money it takes to keep one up, they would call you a fool!

Seen in a DOO forum

"Of all the 850 vs Sidewinders/Thundercat/ZR 9000's; you are the first I have ever heard that beat one. I know the 850 is strong but it's down 30 hp from the turbo sleds.
I have a low slung fully built( by a well know engine builder) 3 cylinder 800 cc that made multiple dyno pulls over 200 hp on a calibrated Land and Sea dyno and I barely pull my buddy on his stock Thundercat. And I do have video."

Things on NASA headphones that are not good;
"That supposed to be like that?" "What the hell was that?" "Did you just pee in your spacesuit"
post #8 of 15 Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM

Sled: 11 HCR, 99 Summit 600, 98 SummitX 670
I have a pair of Motorfist Stomper IIs. They still have the laces but they're a good solid and durable boot. Relatively warm as long as you have good breathable insulated socks on. Nothing is as warm as my old Sorel work boots though! Even with the steel toes my feet never got cold. They just didn't breath any being coated with a durable rubber coating.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another update on the Motorfist alpha boots. I love them, I have only needed regular socks and have wore them at -20f. They are comfortable for riding and fit the stirrup great. I like the boots so much I want to try more of their gear.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
Sled: 16 eltigre 7000
ATV: 2007 h-d road king
I'm still wearing my 20 year old Lacrosse Icemans. I can't make myself replace them. I have never been cold in them. Probably have over 60,000 miles on them. They are getting a bit worn though, so one of these years.........

*previous sleds:
68 olympique
73 tnt silver bullet 294
73 tnt silver bullet 340
80 el tigre 6000
86 pantera
88 wildcat
90 ext
93 ext
95 cougar
97 xlt ltd
02 zl 500
01 z370
03 zr800efi
07 Z1EB
12 F1100 Retro
78 cheetah 5000
88 elTigre 6000

current sled
16 elTigre 7000

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > General Snowmobile Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in