Gains in hp/ drivability - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Gains in hp/ drivability

I have a 18 alterra 500 i am curious if anyone has found a way to get some more power or better drivability out of this atv with out spending alot of money for little gains? Also is there anything aftermarket out there for these quads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 AM

ATV: 2008700SD and 2002 400 FIS
You might see what is available in the way of clutching, rather. EFI would , probably need remapping of the ECM, should you do anything to the motor. My old Suzuki motor 500 was fairly easy to modify, it was also manual transmission. I did an advance timing key on the flywheel (93 octane gas) gutted the muffler, and ran a Dynojet kit on the carburetor and the biggest mod= a Webb Racing cam. I dynoed it after everything and it put down 32 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with heavy 30" Mudzillas. Dyno operator said that I set the record.... for the lowest hp ever to run on his dyno, haha. See what Speedwerx has for clutching options, also see what (Kymco Racing) has. Best mod that I did, sold my 500 and bought a 700 TRV, that has a real Cat motor and runs strong, almost as strong as my 700 turbo Diesel Cat. Jus saying, I spent a lot on a 500, but it never had the torque or power of the 700, and it had a carburetor, easier to tune imho.

2014 700TRV XT EPS, 2008 700SD Intercooled Turbo
post #3 of 3 Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Garage
The issue that usually comes with modding a machine is reliability you rather start breaking things or other things go wrong.. Clutching seems to be a good option but looks like it may have some drawbacks as you set it for more low end you loose top end..
On my 2014 500 i have over 10000km with 0 issues other than normal wear and tear. Replaced 1 ball joint, 1 bearing, and just going to change out a u joint today.. 0 mods everyone i ride with is riding 1000 can am's and i go every ware they do without issues only time i have issues is winter when they dig the ruts to deep on me. The best upgrade i did was tires i went up a few sizes and did some research and got the lightest tire i could find with a good all around tread

Nothing better than riding with friends and family

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > General ATV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode