Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Gains in hp/ drivability

608 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  zrock 
#1 ·
I have a 18 alterra 500 i am curious if anyone has found a way to get some more power or better drivability out of this atv with out spending alot of money for little gains? Also is there anything aftermarket out there for these quads?

#2 ·
You might see what is available in the way of clutching, rather. EFI would , probably need remapping of the ECM, should you do anything to the motor. My old Suzuki motor 500 was fairly easy to modify, it was also manual transmission. I did an advance timing key on the flywheel (93 octane gas) gutted the muffler, and ran a Dynojet kit on the carburetor and the biggest mod= a Webb Racing cam. I dynoed it after everything and it put down 32 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with heavy 30" Mudzillas. Dyno operator said that I set the record.... for the lowest hp ever to run on his dyno, haha. See what Speedwerx has for clutching options, also see what (Kymco Racing) has. Best mod that I did, sold my 500 and bought a 700 TRV, that has a real Cat motor and runs strong, almost as strong as my 700 turbo Diesel Cat. Jus saying, I spent a lot on a 500, but it never had the torque or power of the 700, and it had a carburetor, easier to tune imho.

#3 ·
The issue that usually comes with modding a machine is reliability you rather start breaking things or other things go wrong.. Clutching seems to be a good option but looks like it may have some drawbacks as you set it for more low end you loose top end..
On my 2014 500 i have over 10000km with 0 issues other than normal wear and tear. Replaced 1 ball joint, 1 bearing, and just going to change out a u joint today.. 0 mods everyone i ride with is riding 1000 can am's and i go every ware they do without issues only time i have issues is winter when they dig the ruts to deep on me. The best upgrade i did was tires i went up a few sizes and did some research and got the lightest tire i could find with a good all around tread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.