Arcric Cat 300 smoke problem - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-20-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Arcric Cat 300 smoke problem

Hello everyone,
I'm having a problem thats been going on for a while now. My Arctic Cat 300 runs great , but smokes when it reaches a certain rpm. The smoke smells like it would be a gas problem. I purchased a carburetor kit and it solved the problem for about a week or two and the problem is coming back. The ATV has low hours on it, and I have already replaced the valves also checked the bore for excessive wear. Everything looked good. For any of your guys help I thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM

ATV: 2008700SD and 2002 400 FIS
It has been a while since I owned an ATV with a carburetor, but tuning a carb is kinda fun. 2 Things come to mind for yours, either the main jet is too rich or possibly any crankcase vents going to air box are plugged causing excessive base pressure. Check that oil is not overfilled too. One thing that always helped me tuning carburetors was to buy a Dynojet kit. The adjustable jet needle is very helpful and having a few main jets to try makes final tuning easy. What I do, start with getting it to idle first, then tune the jet needle for best midrange and lastly, play with different main jets. Start lean, run it wide open, write down top speed and do a "plug chop" to check color of plug. Next try 1 size larger main jet, same procedure , eventually, speed will go down, plug will start to look rich. I try to go for the one that gives top speed. Check that all of the rubber boots between carb and motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jetting_2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	347449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet_Numbers_Cross_Reference_Sheet.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	347451  

2014 700TRV XT EPS, 2008 700SD Intercooled Turbo
post #3 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,792 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Are you shutting the fuel off when you stop ?

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't really wanting to get technical with my carbeurator I just want my atv to run and ride smoothly. It only has a fuel flow mixture screw at the bottom next to the float bowl. I checked with my manual and set the screw to the right specs.The plug has a nice and blue spark. I do shut off my gas at the petcock when I get done riding for the day.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 04:31 PM

Sled: 1997 t cat,1997 zrt 600
does your OIL smell like fuel?
as maybe carb float is sticking and flooding your oil with fuel!
even new carbs and or rebuilt one's can have this happen!
post #6 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

The oil has a slight smell of gas, how could I unstick the float?
post #7 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Did you replace the needle and seat?

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #8 of 22 Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I replaced everything in the carb, even the jets.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM

Sled: 1997 t cat,1997 zrt 600
well, this is going to be a guess on my part
BUT since this is not a brand new atv here
I would 1 , drain your fuel tank
as it sounds to me like you have dirt in your tank, as if you completely rebuilt and cleaned your carb, and flat is NOT sticking afterwards
that says to me NEW dirt got into your once cleaned carb!

this is rather common on older atv's
folks clean carb, then have issue's still and the reason is, you NEED to go up spotream of the issue to prevent it from returning

SO< to rule fuel system out, you, 1 drain fuel tank
2 clean fuel tank
,3 clean fuel peacock
4 IMO< Throw old fuel lines out and replace with new one's there cheap
Ethanol fuel causes lines to get a coating on them that builds up and can flake off, just like it coats parts ina carb, peacock and so on
5 CLEAN carb again, and I don't mean just spraying down with carb cleaner
I mean clean out all passages and make sure there is not varnish like coating on parts, some times, you realaly have to work hard to get things clean, or use a ultra sonic parts cleaner, boil hard parts in lemon juice or the likes, NOT just spray with carb cleaner as that does NOT do much at all to carb/ and its parts!)
and check and set float to proper spec's!

6 start with ALL new fuel

SO< if you do the 6 steps, you know for a FACT all is well
and then any issue's should all be gone
skip any step and you can have issue's till the cows come home LOL

NOW also, if you GOT fuel in your motor oil, you NEED to change it ASAP
as if not fuel in the oil can cause seals to go dry and make for larger problems down the road for you!
its NEVER good to have fuel in your oil,also thins the oil and the protection it supposed to provide to motor parts!

make sure you ALSO change oil filter too!
and I would be doing a SECOND oil change rather sooner than a normal period of miles/time! to make sure its ALL out!

when a float sticks or hangs up, it causes fuel to fill into the crankcase! and is a rather common issue with this crappy ethanol fuel we all have anymore!
Wallamatogus likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Then install an inline filter.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > General ATV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode