ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum (https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/)
-   General ATV Discussion (https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/general-atv-discussion/)
-   -   2012 700MP blowing crank seals? (https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/general-atv-discussion/490017-2012-700mp-blowing-crank-seals.html)

sloboda 04-19-2019 07:59 PM

2012 700MP blowing crank seals?

Hey there mud pro experts. So I'm looking once again for some advice in where to go..... I got a 2012 700 mud pro that keeps blowing the crank seal behind the primary clutch draining my engine oil into belt compartment.
Have happened 3 time now. I've made sure that seal is installed properly (new seal each time), bearing behind the seal is in excellent shape, checked crank case vent tube to be sure not plugged and pressurizeing crank case, cleaned air filter/air box area. Starts on a dime everytime. Can't go more then 2 miles and it blows the seal out everytime. What am I missing here guys? I'm hoping something simple that I keep missing??? Please help a cat fan out 🤞

spanny798 04-20-2019 01:00 AM

Just a suggestion check with speedwerx they might know something also they do the wet clutch delete kit and might be able to give you an idea of what could cause the problem you’re having or something to look for that you might not notice putting it back together

sloboda 04-20-2019 02:27 PM

Thanks I'll check into it for sure. On the clutch housing assembly there is a hole in the middle towards the clutch itself and then two holes on the shaft that allows oil to lube the bearing. The oil comes out between the bearing and the seal itself that keep blowing out. Now I am pretty sure this is normal but are those holes maybe suppose to be solid and not allow oil to pass through?

sloboda 04-20-2019 06:39 PM

I read in a few different posts here today that there is an upgrade kit for this in the Wildcats? If so is there also one to the 12 700 mud pros? Also I've came a cross people mentioning something about a spacer, on this particular unit I do not have a spacer anywhere to be found upon disassembly. Also don't see one on the microfiche. But again maybe I missed the fine print somewhere. I know it's the long weekend here so will wait and hope some one has some input next week. Thanks all.

doorfx 04-20-2019 10:20 PM

Are you using a seal driver?

sloboda 04-21-2019 07:54 AM

The first time I borrowed one and yes I did. Second time no I didn't, flat head punch and tapped in. It is a tight fit so good. Seal had blown partially inwards each time as it can not blow out wards due to casing design. Is it possible that the fixed spacer drive face is turning and blocking the holes on the clutch housing assembly causing my issue?

zrock 04-21-2019 10:44 AM

So its blowing in towards the engine or out towards the clutch? If its blowing in i would say you have to much pressure on the clutch side or the crank is walking back and forth.

sloboda 04-21-2019 12:27 PM

Only about 1/4 of the seal blows out towards the engine. Inspected crank as good as I can when had it apart to replace seal, as seal has to be put in from back side of casing. Very limited with inspection as can't really see much of anything when apart. Any tips on how to check crank for walking with out complete tear down?

sloboda 04-21-2019 12:28 PM

Also is there anyway to reduce pressure on the clutch side to possibly rule that out if it doesn't correct my issue?

zrock 04-22-2019 09:21 AM

You should be able to just pull on the crank by hand and see if their is any in out movement.
Try driving with the clutch cover off since its blowing in 2 m you should know pretty quick