2012 700MP blowing crank seals? - Page 2 - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
General ATV Discussion Discussion Forum for Arctic Cat ATVs

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM

ATV: 2013 550 Core
No way there should be enough pressure built up on the clutch side to blow "in" the seal.
Check the 2 clutch snorkel tubes, make sure they are clear of obstructions. Even if the exhaust was plugged up, all it would do is reduce the air flow to zero and overheat the clutch and blow the belt.
Calling Speedwerx might be helpful, but if you don't have speedwerx products in your clutch then they probably wont give you any helpful info.
I'd be carefully running at any speed or for any length with your clutch cover off. The primary has a support bearing in the clutch housing and putting stress on the primary might damage the primary assembly shaft.
This is definitely a perplexing problem.

2013 550 Core, AC Hand Guards, Zilla 27's, RTR Steer Light & Shock Bushings, Auto Resetting Brkrs, Fnt & Rr Brush/Bumpers, RAM X Mnt & Cup Hldr, Champion 3klbs Winch, AmSteel 3.5Klbs Syn Rope, Braided Hook Strap, Rowe Anodized Billet Alum Fairlead, Bostitch 28" wtrprf box, Reese Tow Hook, DYI Web Catchers, Koplin Overfenders, Dr. Pulley Primary Sliders, 2ndry B3 Clock, DDM HID 35w 8K Kit, CREE LED light bar, green LED low beams and green Oznium 3W LED bullet running lights. 2" Moose Lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 04-22-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've made sure the snorkle tubes and are cleaned and free of any debris. I had it apart today and placed a clean rag around the centrifugal clutch and used a bar to see if any play in any direction on the crack and seemed solid to me. Noticed one the outer plate of the centrifugal clutch that there was a few small chips on the plate itself, not sure how woulda got there but doesn't seem to effect it in any way....or so I think. Also ordered a new bearing, seal, spacer and o-ring today. Should be in next couple days. So here is a thought I was thinking, please give fed back as to if it makes any sense at all.
My bearing behind the seal isn't sealed on either side, but cat says the side facing the seal should be sealed and the side of the bearing facing the engine open. So I'm thinking maybe my problem isn't over pressurizing the seal causing it to blow out maybe under pressure is the issue. Since there is oil being pumped between the seal and the sealed end of the bearing that the oil pressure in there keeps the seal pressurized so it doesn't get sucked in wards due to not having any pressure keeping it in place. (Again my old bearing was open on both ends, allowing no pressure to be kept between the seal and bearing itself). Is this a stupid assumption to be made or dose it seem logical.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-02-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay so after trying a few seals then installing a new bearing, new spacer and o-ring....the seal no longer blew out but still had a slow leak of visible oil. Ended up grabbing another clutch cover and reinstalled seal, bearing, spacer and o-ring. After 40 miles of giving it the gears and still no sign what's so ever of any oil in the clutch cover area.
So over all the culprit was a wore out clutch cover.
Hope this helps someone else in the future. Cheers
doorfx and AlexG. like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sloboda For This Useful Post:
AlexG. (05-02-2019), doorfx (05-02-2019), zrock Team ArcticChat (05-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 05-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,785 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Thanks!

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > General ATV Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode