Diesel, In-Line Fuel Filter - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Diesel ATV'S A place to talk diesel only!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Question Diesel, In-Line Fuel Filter

Just wanted to check to see if anyone was running an in-line fuel filter on their Diesel 700? Didn't know if it would cause any problems with the fuel pump or ???

Have done it on my trucks---was wanting to do this on the Diesel 700--but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM

ATV: 2007 AC Diesel / 1999 Polaris Diesel
I do it on my pickup, but can't really see it on the Cat. Even the smallest Racor or Parker Hannifin is going to be enormous.... And if you aren't adding a lower bowl for water separation, what's the point? The spin-on filter that's there now is pretty easy to get to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_O For This Useful Post:
Whitelite (01-14-2014)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 PM

Sled: Radio Flyer
ATV: 700 Diesel
2010 Mileage: Many more miles
2009 Mileage: Many miles
2008 Mileage: 42 now
2007 Mileage: Building it
2006 Mileage: Not built yet
It's not worth the hassle trying to squeeze another filter on this machine.

Smelly Cat. 08 700 Diesel. Smoke screw tweaked for smoke. RTR Flex bracket with a little lift. Stock looking hollow muffler. Mud Pro snorkel added for looks. Two batteries, because two is greater than one. Other stuff to be added later.

The Following User Says Thank You to trackspeeder For This Useful Post:
Whitelite (01-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

OK--well,-----Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Yes, I did install an inline fuel filter in the line underneath the right side cover. This after algae clogged up the main filter while on a long trip and I didn't have a spare on hand at the time. The inline filter I installed has a stainless screen and clear plastic bowl that can be unscrewed and cleaned out. Figured it was cheap insurance against the main filter getting clogged and leaving me stranded. At least I can clean this one out.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 PM

ATV: 2008700SD and 2002 400 FIS
I have the perfect set up: A 275 gallon tank in my shop with a pump and a large 2 micron filter. If you are getting algae, you need to nail down where the water in the fuel is coming from. My Cat had a crack in the big gasket around the pick up in the tank. I was lucky to find it by having it freeze up. When I pulled off the fuel filter, was full of ice! Lucky I didn't damage the motor! So you need to clean the tank, see if you have a leak around that gasket and fix, or make darned sure you have a good source of fuel. I use the same fuel in my Diesel Ram.

2014 700TRV XT EPS, 2008 700SD Intercooled Turbo
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Agreed, that is a good setup. In my case, I think the cat sat for too long with a partially full tank (this is on a semi-remote property in Colorado) and then I made the mistake of using a tank cleaner a couple of days before leaving on a 200+ mile trip. The gunk that was cleaned out of the tank, which I assume was dead algae, plugged up the fuel filter and ended up causing all sorts of problems. About 100 miles in, the engine progressively slowed down and lost power over about a mile, then would stall when brought to a stop to idle, and after sitting for a minute would run fine for a couple of minutes and the process would repeat. We ended up limping it back to the ranch about 15 miles away over the course of a few hours, stopping every 10 minutes, restarting, and continuing on. Nothing like losing engine power when you're in the middle of nowhere... learned my lesson about making sure to use fuel biocide every time and not letting algae build up in the tank!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Diesel ATV'S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode