Finally picked up my 700 Diesel. Mod time! - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Diesel ATV'S A place to talk diesel only!!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 515 Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Finally picked up my 700 Diesel. Mod time!

Over the weekend, I made the trek from Ohio down to Lawton Oklahoma to pick the big girl up. 2200 miles in 3 days wasn't actually that terrible.

The owner bought it brand new in 08 in Alaska for moose hunting but then got re-stationed in Oklahoma 6 months later. He said it was one of only 4 to get delivered to AK. Since he never used it in OK and is getting deployed june 15th, he put it on Craig's list and I happened to find it the same day. The rest is history now .

The previous owner kept it so clean it's not even funny. It never saw a night outside, rain or mud. Only snow and desert dirt. It looks brand new everywhere except for a couple light branch scratches on the plastic and racks. The brake rotors were actually slightly rusty from sitting in the garage so much haha.

Came as pictured including the 28" mud hogs with a brand new matching spare and a hard gun case with the speedrack mounts.

Stopped at Meramec cavers in Missouri on the way back. It barely fit on my 5x8 trailer haha.

Since the previous owner left it bone stock mechanically and I run a diesel shop, it couldn't stay that way! The thing was so slow it's not even right. I don't know how the PO drove it 400 miles that way haha.

The day after I got home from the trip, I bumped timing a few degrees, adjusted the injector link bar, and gave the torque limiter screw a few turns till we got a few puffs of black. It's not a rocketship by any means, but it'll actually spin tires on dirt now. It's acceptable for the moment.

While I was at it, I removed the spark arrestor and welded on a piece of scrap 1.5" SS tube. Used a cut off wheel on the factory tip to mimic mine. Some black engine enamel finished it off. Snorkels are next

Once I catch up on work at the shop, I'll play with the high idle setting/governor weights to get up to 4200-4400 rpms. I need to get the valve spring specs to make sure we won't have any valve float first though. Once I get that figured out, there's no reason this thing can't turn a few more revs. IDI diesels love rpm's and this thing is built so stoutly it won't be an issue mechanically.

The last thing I'm planning to do before fall is give it what every diesel needs, boost ! Going to grab one of these little guys and go to town. RHB31 Motorcycle Turbocharger Quad Small Turbo RHB3 | eBay . I'll be sure to post up lots of pics in this thread when I do it. Hardest part looks like it's going to be hiding all the pipes under the plastic.

I'm glad to finally have a Green machine again and be back with the crowd . Been 4 years since my 02 400 4x4 was totaled by a friend and I always had the itch for another AC.

2007 AC 700TD
1998 Banshee EFI

Last edited by Whitbread; 06-02-2011 at 12:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whitbread For This Useful Post:
doorfx (06-02-2011), Keitho991 (10-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 515 Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
ATV: 06 400m 06 400vp auto 08 700h1se
2010 Mileage: no idea
2009 Mileage: 900
i think the car should be on the trailer and the quad toeing the car home. The cat is bigger then the car

Cat #1
Used for work "farming" "cutting wood" and play

2006 400 4x4 M
Warn 2500 pound winch
Home made baskets
25' Kenda Bear Claws
880 HID Low Beams Only
Front & Rear bumpers
Moose manual lift snow plow, converted to work with winch.
Electric seeder / salt spreader
Rear Hooks for log chains
Custom built railroad tie drag
Home made fence stretching attachments
-------
To Do List
Reverse Cam, Camber Mod

Cat #2
2006 400 4x4 Auto VP - Stock

Cat #3
08 700h1 -Stock
post #3 of 515 Old 06-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
Nice ride man! I love those diesels.

08 TRV 500
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 515 Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Looks great... you mentioned getting some pep back, but I'm more interested in the bottom end... how does it pull?

Also, what kind of tires are those? I can't really tell from the pics. They look like a swamp wtich knock off.

650 V2

Teryx Gear Reduction, 4.0 Differentials
Highlifter 31 Outlaws, Snorkels
Ammo Cans, Back Rest, Tunes
MTI 1.5" Lift Kit and Arched Arms
Dynatek CDI, Temp Gauge
VFJ Stage II Primary
post #5 of 515 Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,006 Times in 2,778 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwngunner View Post
i think the car should be on the trailer and the quad toeing the car home. The cat is bigger then the car
Cat probably has more torque too lol

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #6 of 515 Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2004 650v2
do a propane injection set up , that will wake it up

gone but not forgotten
06 650 H1 SE
airdam 3.5
hidden snorkel
19 gram rollars
reclocked
moose plow
warn 2.5
drilled and clipped
27" swamplites
on 108 wheels
post #7 of 515 Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Fred View Post
Looks great... you mentioned getting some pep back, but I'm more interested in the bottom end... how does it pull?

Also, what kind of tires are those? I can't really tell from the pics. They look like a swamp wtich knock off.
With stock fuel settings, it was as slow as a slug. It didn't really feel torquey at all either, but then again I haven't had the chance to hook it to any load. With the fuel screw on the side of the head turned in a couple turns and the timing bumped ~3 degrees, it actually feels like it has some oompf now. I'd love to find a atv sled pull near me and see how it does against gassers with a load behind it.

The tires are GBC mud hogs I believe. They're definitely chunky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
Cat probably has more torque too lol
Nahhh, that's a sleeper jetta TDI (diesel). It has an aggressive tune, big injectors, cam, big turbo, monster factory front intercooler, 3" stainless exhaust, and a 6 speed manual swapped in. It dyno'ed a couple weeks ago at 220whp and 395 ft/lbs. Not bad for a little 1.9L 4 banger .

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4x4nutt View Post
do a propane injection set up , that will wake it up
No thanks, IDI diesels don't like propane very much. Their compression is high enough that they will ignite the propane before fuel is injected basically causing detonation. A DI diesel has a lower compression ratio and is more tolerant to propane, but you can still overdo it very easily. I'd rather not melt a piston in this kitty cat. A turbo should be more than enough for me until I find some larger injector nozzles out of one of the 4 cylinder turbo'ed Lombardini's.

2007 AC 700TD
1998 Banshee EFI

Last edited by Whitbread; 06-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.
post #8 of 515 Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Hey man off topic question to the op. Do you have any tricks for a kubota rtv. It's just like you described. You would think a three cylinder diesel would put out more umph.

07 450KQ
07 750BBK
09 TCAT
08 teryx 750

TEAM Louisiana Power Equipment and ATV