Crossfire 700 top speed problem - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 17
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sled: 2006 Crossfire 700
ATV: 2006 Yfz450
Crossfire 700 top speed problem

Hey there guys,
I have been having some trouble with my top end speed with my 06 crossfire 700. It seems to top out at about 85mph. My clutching right now is 77g weights, 165/310 primary spring, Goodwin blue/yellow secondary spring, d and d shift assist, cdd 75 helix, and an oem 044 belt.
Is it a problem with my clutching or could it be something else. Any help or any info on what your crossfire 700 top speed is, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Robcrossfire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 02:30 AM
Junior Member
 
Kohlermf7's Avatar
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Sled: 2010 Crossfire SP 800 H.O
Is it stock? My dads 06 only did 86ish across the lake. Im thinking that's normal for the year..He had 120 studs as well.
Kohlermf7 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Administrator
 
C-note's Avatar
ArcticChat.com Admin
 
Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mi.
Posts: 12,188
Thanks: 2,005
Thanked 1,061 Times in 933 Posts
07-08 Mileage: 2 few
06-07 Mileage: ^^^^
Shoot pic of the primary clutch drive sheaves so I can see if it has been shifting all the way out or has signs of belt slippage....

Cat had some really sh/tty OEM clutching in those...

Who, me?! Don't listen to me.... (I don't know anything, evidently...)

Quote:
If it's cnote approved it will work good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoBBD View Post
That is freeking sick man........
Don
0637-185: '99 Sno-Pro APV (guide and button) update kit p/n...
0637-186: '99 Sno-Pro APV superseded valve inserts update kit p/n...
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-z...tml?highlight=

http://www.randakksblog.com/more-on-...fear-the-corn/

"Arctic Chat is not affiliated with Arctic Cat Inc. in any way, shape or form. We are an enthusiast site run by fans."

(Are you experiencing issues with your local dealer? Feel free to call Cat Consumer Complaint @ 218-681-8558)
C-note is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 17
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sled: 2006 Crossfire 700
ATV: 2006 Yfz450
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-note View Post
Shoot pic of the primary clutch drive sheaves so I can see if it has been shifting all the way out or has signs of belt slippage....

Cat had some really sh/tty OEM clutching in those...
I have recently replaced the primary so I hope its not a problem with it,
heres some pictures. I also put some of my secondary incase theres something that looks bad on it.
thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_155540_resized.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	289178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_155617_resized.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	649.4 KB
ID:	289186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_155648_resized.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	289194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170104_155912_resized.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	796.8 KB
ID:	289202  
Robcrossfire is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 17
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sled: 2006 Crossfire 700
ATV: 2006 Yfz450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlermf7 View Post
Is it stock? My dads 06 only did 86ish across the lake. Im thinking that's normal for the year..He had 120 studs as well.
Yes it is all stock, thanks for chiming in because I have heard everyone else say these sleds should be doing about 100. and in my mind I don't see why a 700 that puts out that much power cant hit 100mph. Mine also has studs In it
Robcrossfire is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Administrator
 
C-note's Avatar
ArcticChat.com Admin
 
Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mi.
Posts: 12,188
Thanks: 2,005
Thanked 1,061 Times in 933 Posts
07-08 Mileage: 2 few
06-07 Mileage: ^^^^
Note: my server is limited to one pic per post

Look at the very exact center of this pic (and the one I'll put in next post).. See where the color has semi-drastic change? That is about all the further your belt is reaching in MOST CIRCUMSTANCES.... That said, you are probably reaching approx a 1:1 ratio in shifting... With belt slippage ... Full 1.2:1 ratio will seriously add speed up top

What rpm's are you pulling under WOT during your upshift? AND, are the clutches too hot to touch right after a hard pass?

I'm asking this, as it looks like there's not enough primary weight to shiftout fully... Most of these sleds shifted to 1:1 or slightly better OEM stock..
Using the softer compound (and slightly longer) 3211104 Polaris belt (been superseded to 3211115 I think??), coupled with slightly lightening of stock OEM 70gr weights to around the 65-66gr range, made these sleds easily exceed 105 under good conditions of smooth surfaces (hardpack or ice) with slight powder to help libe the hyfax... This combo worked best between 7700-7850 RPMS...

In a thread where I've LONG AGO deleted a lot of my posts (due to a few folks using my info and telling others it was their idea), there are some folks responses to the success that we got with member " billme1's " 2006 EB 700 ... Unfortunately a lot of others pulled their pics of their own posts as well... To read particular thread, click onto the tiny "throwback" arrow in the lower quote down in my signature... (DonoBBD's post quote)

Previously in that thread (2006-2007 season) there had been primary pics were shown where the primarys had been having big issues with belts slipping and forming/leaving discolored "heat rings" as witness marks... Your newer primary is already showing signs of those (hence why I suggest looking closely to see where the aluminum has darkened), those are the short use life (so far) heat ring marks beginning... I also see some rubber beginning to leave marks on outside sheave in other pic shot of primary (more on that later)

Primary sheave..

Who, me?! Don't listen to me.... (I don't know anything, evidently...)

Quote:
If it's cnote approved it will work good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoBBD View Post
That is freeking sick man........
Don
0637-185: '99 Sno-Pro APV (guide and button) update kit p/n...
0637-186: '99 Sno-Pro APV superseded valve inserts update kit p/n...
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-z...tml?highlight=

http://www.randakksblog.com/more-on-...fear-the-corn/

"Arctic Chat is not affiliated with Arctic Cat Inc. in any way, shape or form. We are an enthusiast site run by fans."

(Are you experiencing issues with your local dealer? Feel free to call Cat Consumer Complaint @ 218-681-8558)
C-note is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Administrator
 
C-note's Avatar
ArcticChat.com Admin
 
Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mi.
Posts: 12,188
Thanks: 2,005
Thanked 1,061 Times in 933 Posts
07-08 Mileage: 2 few
06-07 Mileage: ^^^^
Secondary belt travel witness marks

Here the pic shows how there is still close to 1/2" of lower sheave surface (basically) not seeing belt contact... In other words, you have some more shift ratio to be found... (See comments later in post concerning OEM belts bottoming once tuned)

Some of the secondarys back then had a white plastic sleeve (limiter) to keep belt from going too far down into the secondary and hitting helix surface... Occasionally, some were fine and didn't interfere with anything (billme1's happened to be one of those), and some were severely limiting belt travel, stopping a sled around the 90-95 mph range from upshifting any further.. It's worth taking a look into just in case this could be playing a role here...

Belt compounds play a big role in a sleds clutching as well, Cats Kevlar belts require more weight to prevent slippage, this confuses some who've never tuned cvt systems before, as usually, when loading down the primary to pull engine r's down, it requires either a shallower angled helix, or a stiffer secondary spring to raise rpms back up without creating slippage up front again....

This is where the Polaris 3211104/3211115 compound/length become interesting... The added length requires the adding of more shims (belt deflection adjusting washers) to sit belt higher in secondary, this alone adds more bottom end grunt,mas the larger diameter (radius) of the larger circumference of belt, in effect, lowers gearing..
Then, the added length (upon shift out), creates a situation where when the belt begins to near the primarys top edges, the belt hasn't ALREADY BOTTOMED in the secondary upon the helix (which the shorter Cat belts promoted)...

In essence, you're getting a " wider ratio " to shift through, and tuning the engines RPMS to it properly, makes these things a rocket!!!

The rubber on outer sheave up front is more than likely incorrect driven (secondary) clutch offset.. (Cats specs on these swallowed... If you know what I mean?)

Who, me?! Don't listen to me.... (I don't know anything, evidently...)

Quote:
If it's cnote approved it will work good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoBBD View Post
That is freeking sick man........
Don
0637-185: '99 Sno-Pro APV (guide and button) update kit p/n...
0637-186: '99 Sno-Pro APV superseded valve inserts update kit p/n...
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-z...tml?highlight=

http://www.randakksblog.com/more-on-...fear-the-corn/

"Arctic Chat is not affiliated with Arctic Cat Inc. in any way, shape or form. We are an enthusiast site run by fans."

(Are you experiencing issues with your local dealer? Feel free to call Cat Consumer Complaint @ 218-681-8558)
C-note is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to C-note For This Useful Post:
Robcrossfire (01-04-2017)
post #8 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
GregB's Avatar
ArcticChat.com Moderator
 
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: minnesota/Soo MI
Posts: 8,019
Thanks: 1
Thanked 887 Times in 811 Posts
Sled: Jag-Z
ATV: z-400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcrossfire View Post
Hey there guys,
I have been having some trouble with my top end speed with my 06 crossfire 700. It seems to top out at about 85mph. My clutching right now is 77g weights, 165/310 primary spring, Goodwin blue/yellow secondary spring, d and d shift assist, cdd 75 helix, and an oem 044 belt.
Is it a problem with my clutching or could it be something else. Any help or any info on what your crossfire 700 top speed is, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

My old XF700 box stock would pull 113MPH on the speedo if you held it wide open for about 2.5 miles. (The store is roughly 2.5 to 3 miles from my house and it would be tapped out by the time I pass my yard) After I did clutch work it would run about the same top end but it will pull a ton harder all the way to the top and the slip marks were gone cnote is talking about.
GregB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GregB For This Useful Post:
Robcrossfire (01-04-2017)
post #9 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Posts: 17
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sled: 2006 Crossfire 700
ATV: 2006 Yfz450
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-note View Post
Here the pic shows how there is still close to 1/2" of lower sheave surface (basically) not seeing belt contact... In other words, you have some more shift ratio to be found... (See comments later in post concerning OEM belts bottoming once tuned)

Some of the secondarys back then had a white plastic sleeve (limiter) to keep belt from going too far down into the secondary and hitting helix surface... Occasionally, some were fine and didn't interfere with anything (billme1's happened to be one of those), and some were severely limiting belt travel, stopping a sled around the 90-95 mph range from upshifting any further.. It's worth taking a look into just in case this could be playing a role here...

Belt compounds play a big role in a sleds clutching as well, Cats Kevlar belts require more weight to prevent slippage, this confuses some who've never tuned cvt systems before, as usually, when loading down the primary to pull engine r's down, it requires either a shallower angled helix, or a stiffer secondary spring to raise rpms back up without creating slippage up front again....

This is where the Polaris 3211104/3211115 compound/length become interesting... The added length requires removal of more shims (belt deflection adjusting washers) to sit belt higher in secondary, this alone adds more bottom end grunt,mas the larger diameter (radius) of the larger circumference of belt, in effect, lowers gearing..
Then, the added length (upon shift out), creates a situation where when the belt begins to near the primarys top edges, the belt hasn't ALREADY BOTTOMED in the secondary upon the helix (which the shorter Cat belts promoted)...

In essence, you're getting a " wider ratio " to shift through, and tuning the engines RPMS to it properly, makes these things a rocket!!!

The rubber on outer sheave up front is more than likely incorrect driven (secondary) clutch offset.. (Cats specs on these swallowed... If you know what I mean?)
Thanks so much for the help guys,
so this season I switched to the 044 oem belt (stock is an 036) I read the 044 pulled a lot better and was a softer compound so I thought id give it a try because with the 036 I was having the same low top speed problem. I pull around 7200 rpm i think. And my clutches surprisingly didn't seem to hot which confused my because i figured it must have been belt slippage.
Right now i have some spare weights in my tool box that are 65g. If i just put those on will i need to change all my springs too? If you don't think that would work what all would you recommend?
Again thank you for your help guys

Last edited by Robcrossfire; 01-04-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Robcrossfire is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
GregB's Avatar
ArcticChat.com Moderator
 
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: minnesota/Soo MI
Posts: 8,019
Thanks: 1
Thanked 887 Times in 811 Posts
Sled: Jag-Z
ATV: z-400
how many miles are on your sled? The secondary clutches are know for having the bushings fail and binding up as well.
GregB is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > CrossFire 136-141

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfire Sno Pro Out West 141-153?? mitch95100 CrossFire 136-141 11 12-30-2017 11:11 PM
Clutching 2015 XR 550 limited Shalts13 General ATV Discussion 34 10-01-2016 08:19 AM
Question about top speed Mr400 General ATV Discussion 14 08-22-2016 10:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome