New Mobile Skin / Less Ads for Paid Members - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
ArcticChat.com Site Info and News The place to find news and special information related to ArcticChat.com. Site announcements are posted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Exclamation New Mobile Skin / Less Ads for Paid Members

We've seen a few complaints lately about site speed and we wanted to let everyone know that we won't sit by and let this become a problem so we've done a number of things to help the problem.

1. We've optimized the server to serve pages as fast as possible, lots of tweaks to apache, mysql and of course buying a really beefy server to make sure the site is as fast as possible and hosted at a great hosting provider (softlayer).

2. We realize that the ads may be a big slow down for some users. So we've done a few things to reduce the number of ads on the site for paid members, sponsors, etc.

To become a paid member (become part of team arcticchat) you can click this link: https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/payments.php

The cost is reasonable, IMHO.... but we realize money is tight and not everyone has the money to contribute (around $10/year, less then $1/month) so we've also done the following:

3. We've created a "lite/mobile" skin. You can of course use this as well as TapaTalk (from phones) to browse the site as fast as possible on low bandwidth devices. The lite skin obviously isn't as feature rich but it should be much faster and contains 0 ads.... and it's free.

To TEMPORARILY switch to the lite skin you can click this link: https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/index.php?styleid=4

To TEMPORARILIY switch back to the "full featured" skin you can click this link: https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/index.php?styleid=2

To PERMANENTLY change the skin you need to go to your User CP -> Click on "Edit Options" and go down to the bottom and set the "Forum Skin" to whichever option you want. Here's a link: https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

4. You can turn off displaying other people's avatars, signatures, etc from your User CP to speed the site up even more. To do so go to User CP -> Edit Options and then disable the elements you don't want to see under the "Visible Post Elements" area. Here's a link: https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

Our goal is to make this place the best it can be... We want everyone to be able to enjoy the site as much as possible. This means low bandwidth users and high bandwidth users alike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estwing View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the bare-bone text version!!! This makes life much easier when mobile.

Sounds like a great solution for ads. Many sites I frequent do the same thing. Pay or view; the choice is up to you. Now there is an option for those who constantly complain about them.
Now, working on something else as well Check out the "Garage" link in the navbar/header area
post #3 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Now, working on something else as well Check out the "Garage" link in the navbar/header area
Oh, you got a reply posted while I was moving my post to another topic. When I hit 'reply' I forgot the fact I was linked to this one.

I noticed the "Garage" link while using my CP. I logged out and then back in after reading your post and it's gone. Just fine tuning it I suppose? Will check back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estwing View Post
Oh, you got a reply posted while I was moving my post to another topic. When I hit 'reply' I forgot the fact I was linked to this one.

I noticed the "Garage" link while using my CP. I logged out and then back in after reading your post and it's gone. Just fine tuning it I suppose? Will check back.
Ahah okay. Yah, it's back now!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Ahah okay. Yah, it's back now!
Cool! Being able to add a picture is a nice touch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Site Information > ArcticChat.com Site Info and News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode