Max rpm immediately on startup - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 660catman
  • 1 Post By guudasitgets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Max rpm immediately on startup

Hello friends I read a lot on here but do not post much.

I have a 1990 Artic Cat that no matter what I do it is maxed rpm. As soon as I start this thing it just goes to max rpm. I turn all the screws in all the way made shire the slides were not stuck. More or less trying to stop the flow of gas No matter were or how I adjust anything it dont seem to make any difference. I just cant figure out what is going on. I can not find anywhere that it would have a vacuum leak but it is somehow.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Garage
Sled: 15'ZR8000 LXR, 74 Panther
So did you take the carbs off and go through everything? What is "Max RPM", what rpm? If your carbs are shut your trying to say you have two 34, millimeter leaks? Sorta need more information; Like what 1990 Arctic Cat?

Owning a Thundercat is like having a totally hot wife..... All of your friends want to see it, feel it and check it out..... They all want to know what it is like to ride it, but if they only knew how much time and money it takes to keep one up, they would call you a fool!

Seen in a DOO forum

"Of all the 850 vs Sidewinders/Thundercat/ZR 9000's; you are the first I have ever heard that beat one. I know the 850 is strong but it's down 30 hp from the turbo sleds.
I have a low slung fully built( by a well know engine builder) 3 cylinder 800 cc that made multiple dyno pulls over 200 hp on a calibrated Land and Sea dyno and I barely pull my buddy on his stock Thundercat. And I do have video."

Things on NASA headphones that are not good;
"That supposed to be like that?" "What the hell was that?" "Did you just pee in your spacesuit"
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

well yes I did clean the carbs, after doing that it did not make any difference. The motor is a 1990 artic cat cougar 500cc. The sled had the factory extended track I think its the longest one they had.
As of today I have put on the carbs that were cleaned from a 95 97 artic cat 440 lc. not exactly sure of yr cause i purchased it without the title but it does have the electric safety things on the side of the carb that I read do not matter if there hooked up or not. Since I have done this it now has to be started with starting fluid and starts at 3k plus rpm and has way more throttle response above 3k but will not run after you let the rpms go down. It dont seem to help when adjustments are made to carbs does make the normal adjustments. Starts right up with starting fluid and runs unbelievable at high revs but will not idle at all. With the newer carbs on it went from the bogey throttle response like the older sled and now runs like its a brand new motor and the response is like a electric motor now. Instant throttle response. Kick ass but will not idle down. Did I read a incorrect response about the electric thing not needing to be hooked up. Or am I missing something. One difference with these carbs is I am not using the oil injection i am just mixing it with the fuel and plugged the lines from the injection. The carb mounts are a little closer to the block now without the injection plate.
If anyone can give any help it will be greatly appreciated. For today i am going to mess with the new carbs and if I cant figure out anything I am going to go through the old ones and try them again. Wish me luck. Pics are the sled carbs are from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190511_211356.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	4.30 MB
ID:	347831   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190511_211412.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	5.03 MB
ID:	347833  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
Sled: 16 Bearcat XT, 06 T660 TT, 05 S/Cat 600
ATV: 03 400 4x4 auto FIS, 05 300 4x4
I take it the newer carbs are the same size? Does it continually rev high even after warmed up? Have you adjusted carbs to those specs such as air/fuel, throttle, and choke cable? Jet size? Needle placement?
C-note likes this.

Current Sled rides
2005 Sabercat 600 EFI LX
2006 T660 Turbo Touring
2016 Bearcat 2000XT

Past Sled rides
1993 Pantera 550 EFI
1980 El Tigre 6000

Current ATV rides
2005 A/C 300 manual 4x4
RTR Bushings & shock bushings
Motobatt Battery

2003 A/C 400 auto 4x4 FIS
RTR Steerlites & Shock Bushings
Motobatt Battery
26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's

Past ATV rides
2003 A/C 400 manual ACT 4x4
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 04:36 AM

Garage
Carbs cleaned and set and rebuilt properly, new rubber carb boots throttle cables set correctly all set to factory spec per the manual, should start without either and idle just fine, without doing one of those things your missing something I'd go back and look at the factory carbs that came with the sled, it ran fine when it left the showroom
C-note likes this.

Owning a Thundercat is like having a totally hot wife..... All of your friends want to see it, feel it and check it out..... They all want to know what it is like to ride it, but if they only knew how much time and money it takes to keep one up, they would call you a fool!

Seen in a DOO forum

"Of all the 850 vs Sidewinders/Thundercat/ZR 9000's; you are the first I have ever heard that beat one. I know the 850 is strong but it's down 30 hp from the turbo sleds.
I have a low slung fully built( by a well know engine builder) 3 cylinder 800 cc that made multiple dyno pulls over 200 hp on a calibrated Land and Sea dyno and I barely pull my buddy on his stock Thundercat. And I do have video."

"That supposed to be like that?" "What the hell was that?" "Did you just pee in your spacesuit"
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 1,066 Times in 937 Posts
07-08 Mileage: 2 few
06-07 Mileage: ^^^^
Crank seal(s??) and/or torn intake manifolds.

Other carbs made things “better” (to a certain extent), definitely sounds like an air leak

Who, me?! Don't listen to me.... (I don't know anything, evidently...)

Quote:
If it's cnote approved it will work good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoBBD View Post
That is freeking sick man........
Don
0637-185: '99 Sno-Pro APV (guide and button) update kit p/n...
0637-186: '99 Sno-Pro APV superseded valve inserts update kit p/n...
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-z...tml?highlight=

http://www.randakksblog.com/more-on-...fear-the-corn/

"Arctic Chat is not affiliated with Arctic Cat Inc. in any way, shape or form. We are an enthusiast site run by fans."

(Are you experiencing issues with your local dealer? Feel free to call Cat Consumer Complaint @ 218-681-8558)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 1,066 Times in 937 Posts
07-08 Mileage: 2 few
06-07 Mileage: ^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurp2 View Post
well yes I did clean the carbs, after doing that it did not make any difference. The motor is a 1990 artic cat cougar 500cc. The sled had the factory extended track I think its the longest one they had.
As of today I have put on the carbs that were cleaned from a 95 97 artic cat 440 lc. not exactly sure of yr cause i purchased it without the title but it does have the electric safety things on the side of the carb that I read do not matter if there hooked up or not. Since I have done this it now has to be started with starting fluid and starts at 3k plus rpm and has way more throttle response above 3k but will not run after you let the rpms go down. It dont seem to help when adjustments are made to carbs does make the normal adjustments. Starts right up with starting fluid and runs unbelievable at high revs but will not idle at all. With the newer carbs on it went from the bogey throttle response like the older sled and now runs like its a brand new motor and the response is like a electric motor now. Instant throttle response. Kick ass but will not idle down. Did I read a incorrect response about the electric thing not needing to be hooked up. Or am I missing something. One difference with these carbs is I am not using the oil injection i am just mixing it with the fuel and plugged the lines from the injection. The carb mounts are a little closer to the block now without the injection plate.
If anyone can give any help it will be greatly appreciated. For today i am going to mess with the new carbs and if I cant figure out anything I am going to go through the old ones and try them again. Wish me luck. Pics are the sled carbs are from
Ok, what did you utilize to “clean carbs” with?

As pointed out above, are settings correct?

Are choke cables set correctly (1/16” - 1/8” slack at lever when lifting lightly USING just your finger and thumb AT the steel pressed in roll pin)?? Using just enough pull to see if there’s MORE RESISTANCE than slack (more resistance would be stiff springs at plungers beginning to restrict movement), lighter resistance is from spring inside of choke control box behind lever itself.

As mentioned above, it should at least stay running, provided the slides have at least 1/8” under slides when resting on the idle screws.

Check the above (slack setting) and slide resting height (by sliding a 1/8” drill bit under slides, and adjusting screws until contact is made), then start and see how it runs. << THOSE slide height are just quick reference “base settings” that’ll help diagnose an air leak, by having a Mikuni VM series carb “closer” to OEM idle settings “quickly”

Who, me?! Don't listen to me.... (I don't know anything, evidently...)

Quote:
If it's cnote approved it will work good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoBBD View Post
That is freeking sick man........
Don
0637-185: '99 Sno-Pro APV (guide and button) update kit p/n...
0637-186: '99 Sno-Pro APV superseded valve inserts update kit p/n...
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-z...tml?highlight=

http://www.randakksblog.com/more-on-...fear-the-corn/

"Arctic Chat is not affiliated with Arctic Cat Inc. in any way, shape or form. We are an enthusiast site run by fans."

(Are you experiencing issues with your local dealer? Feel free to call Cat Consumer Complaint @ 218-681-8558)
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Reply

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I ended up cleaning the origional carbs and put them back on, Thyere was a big difference from before, now the motor runs totally different and noe making adjustments makes a difference. I have them set so it runs and isles great. still have some fine adjustments to get better performance in the higher rpm range.
Thanks to everyone for any responses made. Definitely learned a few things
I have another question...
This is s air cooled engine that I stuffed into a small buggy. Tomberline crossfire 150.
What are people doing for a temp gauge. What and were do I want to put it so I get the best temp reading. I am planing on just using a temp gauge and putting the sensor on the block somewhere. It least it can tell me before I let the thing get to hot and burn it up.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurp2 View Post
I have another question...
This is s air cooled engine that I stuffed into a small buggy. Tomberline crossfire 150.
What are people doing for a temp gauge. What and were do I want to put it so I get the best temp reading. I am planing on just using a temp gauge and putting the sensor on the block somewhere. It least it can tell me before I let the thing get to hot and burn it up.
Ok what engine, free air? Fan cooled? in the old Free Air days we could get cylinder head hep gauges they had big eyelets you put under the spark plugs, those were the thermocouples. You'll have look around for those , probably vintage by now cause nobody uses them on a fan cooled

Seen in a DOO forum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in