Advice needed for storing EFI extended long term - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Sled: 2001 ZR600 EFI, 2000 ZR500 EFI
ATV: 2005 650 V2
Advice needed for storing EFI extended long term

Hello everyone!

I will be deploying overseas towards the end of this summer for a year and I am wondering how I should prep my two snowmobiles for long term storage? (Approx 22-24 months before I'll be riding again) They are both EFI's, so my main concern is fuel in the tank going bad, but if I remove it all I'm concerned about the seals drying out on the fuel pump. I typically fog the motors when I summerize them each year which I plan to do again, but what recommendations can you help me with? Do I keep the gas tank full or empty? Fuel additive? Remove drive belts? Etc..

I've summerized in the past many times, but never for something this long. Being overseas, I can't start them up periodically like I prefer to do. They will be stored inside a cold storage shed almost 2 years untouched :-(

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 PM

Garage
Sled: 2000 T-Cat LE -- 2002 T-Cat
10-11 Mileage: 2250
09-10 Mileage: 2450
08-09 Mileage: 2850
07-08 Mileage: 2400
06-07 Mileage: 2100
ATV: 2008 700 TRV LE
On my carb sleds of your years I mostly drain the fuel add stabilizer run for a bit and manually empty the float bowls.
I don't think stabilizer would last that long, maybe you could try some Stihl(or other) chain saw fuel oil mix. Good for 5 years closed 2 years open.

Other then fuel I would do these things.

run engine spraying engine preservative into intake, maybe with previous mentioned stihl product.

Add straight 30 oil to the cylinders and pull over a few times, replace plugs.
Remove belt, use fluid film on clutches, clean off sheaves before use out of storage.
Use a light spray of fluid film in the entire engine bay
Use fluid film on shock towers, and all ball joints, steering bushings.

Grease all fittings and use fluid film on entire skid frame
Loosen track
lift rear off ground, lift front off ground and block under center pan.
rag in exhaust outlet

Fluid film is an excellent product, research it.

~~~Keep The Rubber Side Down!~~
post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2002 ZR800 CC EFI, 99 ZR700, 99 ZL600EFI
I would fog them, fill the tanks with zero-ethanol with stabilizer, remove belts, lift tracks off ground. Cover them. I might throw bounce around it and in the airbox if mice are a concern.

I never, ever start mine in the off season. Not being able to run them to operating temp just introduces moisture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-24-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
Sled: 15'ZR8000 LXR, 74 Panther
Before you fog it mix some Sta-Bil in a 3/4 full tank of fuel, that way it will run in the engine and go in all the injectors and lines, fog it down till it quits. Then siphon it down and spray some engine fogger in the tank real good and quick close the cap so it traps all that goo and fog in there. This is my kind of cosmoline method. Take the drive belt off, And spray the clutches with WD-40, all those steel pins in there can rust, the clutch faces can corrode. Lift the back off the ground and loosen the track. Take the hood off and tape up the intakes and tape shut the exhaust can to prevent critters from getting a free rent apartment in your sled. Put moth balls and dryer sheets all over the place to keep the critters away. Get some cedar chips or scrap cedar wood and dump it all under the track after it's in the air and leave it hang. The cedar chips will keep some moisture away. Put the skis on a couple of 2x 4's, the carbides will rust stain your floor. Cover them with a bed sheet, preferably white with no dye's, not plastic, that doesn't breath.

And have a good trip.

Owning a Thundercat is like having a totally hot wife..... All of your friends want to see it, feel it and check it out..... They all want to know what it is like to ride it, but if they only knew how much time and money it takes to keep one up, they would call you a fool!

Seen in a DOO forum

"Of all the 850 vs Sidewinders/Thundercat/ZR 9000's; you are the first I have ever heard that beat one. I know the 850 is strong but it's down 30 hp from the turbo sleds.
I have a low slung fully built( by a well know engine builder) 3 cylinder 800 cc that made multiple dyno pulls over 200 hp on a calibrated Land and Sea dyno and I barely pull my buddy on his stock Thundercat. And I do have video."

Things on NASA headphones that are not good;
"That supposed to be like that?" "What the hell was that?" "Did you just pee in your spacesuit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode