2012 550 Problems - Backfiring, Winch not coming in - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
All terrain ect.. repair/service manuals A place to share manuals

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 04-01-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

2012 550 Problems - Backfiring, Winch not coming in

My ATV is currently at my cottage so I donít have access to it right now, I just want to figure out how to fix these problems.

Alright last year I had the engine in my 2012 550 rebuilt completely after it seized. I did the tear down and bottom end assembly in my high school auto class, then I gave it to my dealer to finish it. I only did about 500km s after the rebuild last season breaking it in easy. One of the things I noticed was it would backfire every once and a while after doing a throttle pull with about 3/4-full throttle and when you let off it would backfire loud. If I am correct this is a lean condition? I brang it back to the dealer and they replaced the exhaust gasket on the cylinder head. The last time I rode the ATV in September 2018 it backfired once or twice the whole weekend. I have the service manual and read that a dirty spark arrestor could be causing this problem, so I wanted to remove it and I snapped off a bolt. The two other bolts also were starting to round so I just put it away for the winter. Iím going to bring the muffler to my school to get the broken bolt out, but I never did find out what the correct size socket to use on the head. Do you think a dirty spark arrestor would cause the backfiring? Anything else to check? The dealer tech said that a backfire every once and a while was normal which doesnít seem right. Also When splitting the cases during engine tear down I got my auto teacher to help me and he nicked the mating surface where the cylinder goes on top of. The dealer tech said he noticed it and filled it in with some sealant. It was a very small nic out of the metal and it was only a few mm deep so I donít think it would cause any mating issues.

My next problem is the winch not retracting. When I bought the ATV used it had the same problem and the dealer fixed it and said it was just the switch. I donít think they replaced it just fixed some wiring (I canít remember) Anyway the winch puts the line out fine, but when the ďinĒ side of the button is depressed nothing happens.

The picture I attached isnít my engine just one I found on google, I circled the area where I remember the nic in the cases being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Flemingo; 04-01-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator

Super Moderator
Sled: Radio Flyer vintage late seventy's
ATV: XTZ V2 550H1 50
The spark arrestors always rust up and the bolts break. Not sure if that's your problem but check it out anyway. Seems a little counter intuitive to me but maybe it's the EFI compensating. I would check the intake system. Looks for loose clamps, cracks, etc. Anything letting air in that shouldn't be. Especially from the throttle body to the cylinder. Another common way to check is spray some starter fluid around the intake and see if the engine sounds different. If it does you know it sucked some starter fluid in and you need to fix/replace.

Sounds like it's the switch on the winch. Testing the switch or winch is really easy. Use a voltmeter to test the switch. If it's not the switch then check the wiring. A bad winch typically won't move either direction. If you need to test the winch, I use a battery and jumper cables. First one way, then flip.
Flemingo likes this.

xtz,v2,550h1,50
post #3 of 34 Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Bringing the muffler to school tomorrow to get the broken bolt extracted. Does anyone know the head size of them? Also the thread size/ pitch and length?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-02-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Tried heating the two bolts up but they just rounded over. Ended up grinding the heads off. Going to drill and re - tap the holes tomorrow with the help of my shop teacher. Going to weld the damaged part on the spark arrestor cover to make sure it seals well. Going to get a new gasket from the dealer as well.

post #5 of 34 Old 04-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 2,986 Times in 2,758 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Do this. !!
https://www.arcticchat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=297017
Flemingo likes this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #6 of 34 Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post

Maybe in the future. For now just trying to get it back to stock to figure out this backfiring problem. What should I use to clean the spark arrestor?

post #7 of 34 Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 2,986 Times in 2,758 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Heat. Burn it with a torch.
Flemingo likes this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #8 of 34 Old 04-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2013 550 Core
Keep your muffler stock!
550 EFI's run like crap if you do any muffler mods.
As for cleaning the spark arrestor, spray it with carb or brake cleaner and use a wire brush to get any carbon deposits off.
When your re-tapping the holes, be slow and use lots of oil. There are metal blocks or nuts welded to the back of the muffler where the bolts go thru. It's a lot thicker there than just a inch away.
Flemingo likes this.

2013 550 Core, AC Hand Guards, Zilla 27's, RTR Steer Light & Shock Bushings, Auto Resetting Brkrs, Fnt & Rr Brush/Bumpers, RAM X Mnt & Cup Hldr, Champion 3klbs Winch, AmSteel 3.5Klbs Syn Rope, Braided Hook Strap, Rowe Anodized Billet Alum Fairlead, Bostitch 28" wtrprf box, Reese Tow Hook, DYI Web Catchers, Koplin Overfenders, Dr. Pulley Primary Sliders, 2ndry B3 Clock, DDM HID 35w 8K Kit, CREE LED light bar, green LED low beams and green Oznium 3W LED bullet running lights. 2" Moose Lift.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

We tried drilling them out and the drill bit wasnít cutting well. My shop teacher said because they had been heated up. He said we can try removing them from behind with some vice grips. I donít think that will work. He also said I could just tack the cover in and if it needs to come off to clean the spark arrestor again to just grind off the welds. I donít want to do that. Hopefully we can remove them or drill them out so I can just use bolts. Didnít give that much effort to try to drill them out because he was busy.

post #10 of 34 Old 04-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2013 550 Core
I broke a few bits and taps so I just used self tapping screws in the thin spots... works fine.

2013 550 Core, AC Hand Guards, Zilla 27's, RTR Steer Light & Shock Bushings, Auto Resetting Brkrs, Fnt & Rr Brush/Bumpers, RAM X Mnt & Cup Hldr, Champion 3klbs Winch, AmSteel 3.5Klbs Syn Rope, Braided Hook Strap, Rowe Anodized Billet Alum Fairlead, Bostitch 28" wtrprf box, Reese Tow Hook, DYI Web Catchers, Koplin Overfenders, Dr. Pulley Primary Sliders, 2ndry B3 Clock, DDM HID 35w 8K Kit, CREE LED light bar, green LED low beams and green Oznium 3W LED bullet running lights. 2" Moose Lift.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting > All terrain ect.. repair/service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode