2012 550 Problems - Backfiring, Winch not coming in - Page 6 - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
All terrain ect.. repair/service manuals A place to share manuals

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 75 Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,786 Posts
Garage
ATV: 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
That machine has a vacuum fuel pump. Your machine has an in tank pump. Not sure that would work.
Flemingo likes this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

07 500 Gone but not forgotten;
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 75 Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Is it bad to run the ATV empty? I can ride it this week and I was thinking of just riding it until itís empty and just bring along a 5 gallon gas can of fresh fuel so I can get a clear answer on if the bad gas is causing the popping.

I also started on that winch problem. The winch would go out fine, but not come in.

Hereís what FireCatV2 said earlier in this thread ďSounds like it's the switch on the winch. Testing the switch or winch is really easy. Use a voltmeter to test the switch. If it's not the switch then check the wiring. A bad winch typically won't move either direction. If you need to test the winch, I use a battery and jumper cables. First one way, then flip.Ē

I have a multi meter, but I donít really know much about electrical. If I understand correctly, the switch has 3 wires, one power, one in and one for out. The power wire on my atv is spliced into the wiring harness and on the end of the wire it is spliced into is a connector.

I think Iíve got an idea how to test the switch, so Iíll check the switch wires for any damage and then test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #53 of 75 Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Just tested at the winch. 13.8V for ďinĒ. Didnít get a reading for ďoutĒ, but obviously it has power because the winch is going out.

So I guess this means the switch is fine and the box beside the winch (the thing the wires go into) is the problem. How do I test it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 75 Old 05-07-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

I cleaned all the wires going to solenoid with a wire brush. Still going out but not coming in. What next? Itís not the switch or wiring to the solenoid. Could it be something inside the solenoid?

post #55 of 75 Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Yes it could be the contactor( solenoid). Put power direct to the winch then reverse it. That will rule out the winch.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :
28" Bighorns on bed linered 08 Prowler rims , Wireless winch remote, 3000LB. Warn winch, Heated front and rear grips, Cat relay wiring harness for accessories, LED light bar, 08 650 trv LTD rear box, Heated rear seat, Elka stage 3 shocks all 4 corners, Aftermarket A-arm bushings, aftermarket sway bar bushings(prototype), Deluxe brush guard bumpers front and rear, Red anodized Hause fairlead, beverage opener winch hook, Synthetic winch rope, RTR motor mount bushings, Dynojet PC5 programmer, Dynojet Autotune, [/B]

Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #56 of 75 Old 05-20-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Brought the ATV to the cottage for the weekend put on a good 150kms. Almost 500km on the rebuild. Didnít get a chance to work on the winch problem further. I went through about 1 and 1/2 tanks of gas. Still backfiring, but no more loud gunshot like backfires like last season. Just small pops. So Iíve ruled out the possibility of bad gas. Whats next?

post #57 of 75 Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin

Administrator
Garage
Are you sure the header pipe gasket is seated correctly ?
Checked all intake boots for cracks?
Flemingo likes this.

2013 700 XT TRV EPS :

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
post #58 of 75 Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM
Team ArcticChat
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat
Garage
Have u checked your valves and possibly timming? Backfiring when letting off throttle is also a sign valves are out of adjustment.. among other things..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
red_russian1 likes this.

Nothing better than riding with friends and family
post #59 of 75 Old 05-27-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

2012 550 Problems - Backfiring, Winch not coming in

Havenít checked the valve adjustment or the header gasket. I didnít adjust the valves after the rebuild, not sure if my dealer did either. The header gasket is new, dealer replaced it to try to solve the backfiring problem, but Iíll check it out. I havenít tested the winch both ways to make sure the winch is fine yet.

I rode the ATV 2 weekends ago and on the last day I went on a wet trail with several water spots, the highest the water went was up to the bottom of the foot wells. When I went to back up a trailer in reverse (this is after the ride, also a small utility trailer, empty) the belt/clutches were slipping. It wouldnít have enough power in reverse to back up the trailer. It did the same thing in low gear where it would act like the belt was slipping and would barely move the ATV. In high gear when you start moving the engine has to work a lot harder than usually to get going. I have moved the trailer before without issue. So something is definitely up.

I tried riding the atv this past weekend and it was still acting up. I thought that there might be some water or something in the clutch cover because of the wet trail but nothing came out of the drain bolt. So I took off the clutch cover and found that one of the bottom bolts was loose. You had to remove the footwell frame to loosen and tighten it. I think my dealer must have just not tightened it up? All the other bolts were torqued so so donít think it couldíve worked itself loose.

I had some trouble removing the cover, not sure if the bearing was stuck or the dowels. Anyway everything looks good. Belt not frayed, clutch cover bearing moves without any ďrough spotsĒ when turning. I started the ATV and tested Low and Reverse with the clutch cover off and the problem was gone. I put the cover back on and itís acting up again.

Is this just the clutch cover bearing? Maybe putting more load on the clutch?

I have the ATV at home now so I can work on it. Iím going to tackle the clutch problem first, then backfiring and then winch.

Also I noticed on the cylinder head, where it mates with the cylinder has some oil stains. I think this is just from assembly of the engine, but I will clean it off with brake clean and keep an eye on it.

post #60 of 75 Old 05-27-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Having trouble removing the clutch cover again. I donít know if itís the dowels or the bearing. Itís hard to pull it off using the little tabs. Donít want to pry between the two surfaces because Iíll likely damage them. Any tricks?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting > All terrain ect.. repair/service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode