deep water last week now wont turn over - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
All terrain ect.. repair/service manuals A place to share manuals

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

ATV: Wildcat 1000
Angry deep water last week now wont turn over

Drained the water in the oil, intake and belt. I did try and start it with water in intake and it started and died. Pulled it to the cabin and did not have a lot of tools. I got the water out of the 3 areas and cleaned them up. Pulled the plugs but could not get the engine to turn over even with the plugs out. I am going up tonight with more tools and a service manuel any help would be great. I know i should not have cranked with out pulling the plugs but I hope is not to late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-26-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

it is in northern MN so I want to make sure no water is left this weekend so if anyone knows how to turn the engine over manually to clear cylinders let me know.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM

ATV: 2008700SD and 2002 400 FIS
If you removed the spark plugs and it won't turn over, maybe, just maybe, the battery has decided to give up the ghost? That is the best scenario that I can imagine. Perhaps you could recharge the battery and keep fingers crossed? If it's truly seized, well, it's not going to be good. If you remove the CVT cover I'd think you should be able to turn the primary over easily with plugs out....

2014 700TRV XT EPS, 2008 700SD Intercooled Turbo

Last edited by Wallamatogus; 10-26-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Sled: 1997 t cat,1997 zrt 600
just so you know, there is NO 100% way to clean out a motor that got water in it from being sunk(sucked in water ) you can drain flush and what ever else you WISH to try and there is NO way to be 100% sure you got all the crap out that went in with that water
ONLY true way is to split the motor open and CLEAN it out!
JUST so you know
anything else is what I call a GAMBLE< you MIGHT get lucky and run for a while without issue's , then again you might run a short amount and have motor damage!

as for the motor being locked up
it could be hydro locked, or it could have water in there and temps could be below freezing, NOT sure where your at

does this model NOT have a pull start on it??
as if it does, pull spark plug, and pull starter rope it should allow you to turn the motor over
if not, ??
come back and let us know
playing in the water with an atv can be a costly event real fast
there ATV's not boats folks?
Wallamatogus and T.Ray like this.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

the oil had water in it and I left the plug out all day. I thought hydro lock also so I wanted to pull plugs and spin it but turning the key just clicked and hummed a little. I think I would like to spin it but there is no pull. it is a 2013 wildcat 1000. I am not a sled or atv guy yet but I have been 4X4 wheeling in my 73 Bronco for 30yrs. I want to try and spin it over this weekend to make sure I get most of the water out so if it gets cold I am not going to have worse issues. It might be the battery and I just got the service manual and the starting circuit looks very simple.
I know I may have some motor issues but I hope we can save it
Wallamatogus likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-26-2018, 07:03 PM

Well the 450 I bought had been sunk before me. The rod bent and broke off the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

starter will not turn I opened the case and was able to spin the engine over counter clockwise at the magneto with the plugs removed. I think I got all the water out now. It will only rotate counterclockwise is that a problem? Also there is a a clink noise on the rotation from the front cylinder when rotating through that has me a bit worried. Also starter is not turning but something makes a clinking noise if in the engine area when I hook up another battery to the battery cables.
so I think I have a bad battery
Starter maybe too.
possibly some engine issues but it will spin and no water is coming out anywhere any other help you guys can suggest would be great. I have worked on cars and trucks but these guys are just a bit new to me and I have not had much time to look at the service manual.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Sled: Bearcat 3000, Ovt 340, XLV 540, ZR200
ATV: Prowler HDX, Brute Force , Honda Big Red
Humidity in the solenoid will cause clicking and humming and keep the starter from turning.

Find your electricals by following the wires between the battery and the starter and get every relay, solenoid and fuses dried.

Once you get it started, make sure it gets to operating temps for a good amount of time and most of the remaining water eventually evaporate. As stated before, you cant get all the water out without splitting the cases, but the heat generated by running the engine will help.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...OV&sz=63182603

this is when turning the key to start using a boat battery tied to the battery cables.

Last edited by emtskiboe; 10-29-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...V&sz=322976499

noise at the end is the bothersome one not sure what that is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting > All terrain ect.. repair/service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode