2002 Polaris 500 Spark Issue - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
All Other Brands Of ATVs Discussion (NO ARCTIC CATS) ATV Forum for discussions about all other ATV Manufacturers OTHER THAN ARCTIC CAT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

2002 Polaris 500 Spark Issue

I had the dreaded flywheel issue. Replaced the flywheel and stator as both were bad. Installed a new coil and cdi as well. Still no spark. Any ideas? This thing is giving me hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 PM

ATV: 09 Thundercat
2009 Mileage: 300
2008 Mileage: 2000
Is the battery 100% charged? Have you tried to start it with jumper cables from car battery?

I know on my cat the spark signal comes from a pick up coil that sits next to the stator. The coil tells the cdi when the piston is top dead center and sends a voltatge pulse to spark at the corret time. Have you checked this?

Is there power to the starter coil?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I know the battery has a good charge. It cranks the engine over pretty dang fast. I changed the pick up coil when I changed the stator. The service manual I have is shoddy when it come to checking the ignition system. I know the coil itself is not getting power. I also checked all of my grounds and made sure the coil is grounded and everything checked out ok. There has to be something I am over looking. I checked the wiring and found nothing wrong. Could it be a safety switch or something. I am at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 01:29 PM

ATV: 09 Thundercat
2009 Mileage: 300
2008 Mileage: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel_18_2 View Post
I know the battery has a good charge. It cranks the engine over pretty dang fast. I changed the pick up coil when I changed the stator. The service manual I have is shoddy when it come to checking the ignition system. I know the coil itself is not getting power. I also checked all of my grounds and made sure the coil is grounded and everything checked out ok. There has to be something I am over looking. I checked the wiring and found nothing wrong. Could it be a safety switch or something. I am at a loss.
Does the popo have a tilt sensor? Basically a kill switch that keep the vehicle from starting if the bike gets flipped. I know my cat has one near the tail light.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Interesting but I have no idea what I am looking for :/
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I have dug through the wiring harness and wiring diagram and here is what I have found. There are 2 plugs on my CDI. One set goes to my brand new stator so no worries there. The second plug has 3 wires. One black which is ground and the wire is grounded. The other is a blue/White which goes to the coil. This wire gets no power as we speak even though it should. The other wire is an orange/white. Followed it up to the switch and found no issues. Found that the orange/white wire is the power wire for the cdi and does have power to it at the cdi. Sounds like my cdi is fried. What do you guys think?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > All Other Brands Of ATVs Discussion (NO ARCTIC CATS)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in