Honda 300 rear sealed drum brake - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum
All Other Brands Of ATVs Discussion (NO ARCTIC CATS) ATV Forum for discussions about all other ATV Manufacturers OTHER THAN ARCTIC CAT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Honda 300 rear sealed drum brake

I've got a honda 300 fourtrax 4x4. It's a hunting machine. It's never used for trail riding, but I duck hunt....so that means water and lots of it. It's not uncommon to be in calf-deep water for half a mile at a time. I can't keep water out of the rear drum. It makes the rear brakes useless. Just a couple days on the farm and the rear drum is gone. It'll fill up with water, then turn to sludge as it mixes with brake dust (and mildews between uses). The 300 uses a drum that is mounted near the center, whereas all the newer hondas use a drum mounted more outward towards the wheel, so from what I've seen there is no disc conversion kit available (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me). Has anybody found a way to keep water out of these drums? I'm about to the point where I think the drum housing just need a drain hole so that the water can run out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Garage
ATV: 2006 TRV 500
Have you looked to see if there is a drain hole? My ATC from 83' has the rear drum but has a drain hole. I just took the bolt out and left it on a shelf because if there was trapped moisture in there come November the brakes would freeze up making it useless for deer season.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > ATV's > All Other Brands Of ATVs Discussion (NO ARCTIC CATS)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode