1997 cougar 550, won't start/flooded cylinder - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

1997 cougar 550, won't start/flooded cylinder

Hi, I bought a 97 cougar 550 the other day with 52 miles on a top end rebuild, supposedly still had half tank of break in gas in it. Before I bought it, the owner started it with 2 pulls, we drove it into the back of the pickup to haul it home. It sat in pickup a day or two then when I went to unload it, I noticed there was a puddle of fuel in the front corner of the pickup bed. I tried starting it in the pickup to unload it but it was hydro locked, after dinking around pulling on it several times it spun freely but wouldn't start. So I pulled the plugs and they were wet, cleaned them, pulled the engine over till gas quit coming out and tried again but still didn't start. So I started researching and people were saying needles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

and seats. So I took the carbs off and didn't do a complete tear down but took the needles out and sprayed everything with carb cleaner. But they actually looked very clean, I didn't notice any problems with the needles or seats. Any ideas what else to look for to get this thing started? Also during my research, there is talk about an impulse line. Where is that? Also talk about rebuilding the fuel pump, where is that and what parts do I need and where do I get them? And one final question, do I need to drain the crankcase? Thanks!
post #3 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Sled: 04 f7 plus 3 others
06-07 Mileage: 650
ATV: 95 Polaris 400
It doesn't take much for the needles to get out of wack. Just a small ring around them can do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Sled: 2016 zr 6000 ltd green
07-08 Mileage: 2000 a year or more
are your plugs wet or dry sir ?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowxcrazy1 View Post
are your plugs wet or dry sir ?
They were wet.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM

then i would think you have lots of fuel the float level could be off or floats could be but rarely are saturated and not floating all easy to find problems did you try with all new plugs ? not trying to be a smarty pants i want to help you so to start with we need good compression at least 100 lbs, fuel ,spark and air if we have all of them and the belt is not to tight in primary clutch it has to run im not sure where your fuel pump is on that sled but if you follow fuel lines they will show you it and then from there the impulse line should run down to crankcase now as far as draining case only old polaris sleds had crankcase drains as far as i know now im no super pro mr know it all kind o guy but if you have the crankcase that full of old possibly stale fuel you will bum out your new happy plugs instantly so take em all out turn off key and pull it over to see if it is blowing gas out of plug holes i would hate to think you could'nt clear out the flood with 5 or 10 pulls if not then you still need carb help. you tube is going to be your friend to help you there unless your near chicago or somewhere in michigan where i could come and help you dont give up it will work out if the person you got it from was honest and didn't sell ya a wall mount hoping for the best and please dont be afraid to ask for more help maybe im missing something. ? there are lot's of great mechanics on here me im just a parts changer spray can mechanic any more thats why im fixing stuff for buds every day instead of going back to work / lazy/ retired .hope ya get it going , mike ps if your fuel pump is shot / ruptured it could drain into your crank case never seen it but i normally work on newer sleds and now after reading you first post again i would say that that if it was up on angle in truck possible float level and or fuel pump rupture please let us know what you find out thanks

Last edited by snowxcrazy1; 03-19-2017 at 11:01 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 PM

did you get a chance to do any testing ? thanks , mike
post #8 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Not yet.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 AM

Sled: 1996 bearcat
ATV: 2011 ranger 800 6x6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowxcrazy1 View Post
then i would think you have lots of fuel the float level could be off or floats could be but rarely are saturated and not floating all easy to find problems did you try with all new plugs ? not trying to be a smarty pants i want to help you so to start with we need good compression at least 100 lbs, fuel ,spark and air if we have all of them and the belt is not to tight in primary clutch it has to run im not sure where your fuel pump is on that sled but if you follow fuel lines they will show you it and then from there the impulse line should run down to crankcase now as far as draining case only old polaris sleds had crankcase drains as far as i know now im no super pro mr know it all kind o guy but if you have the crankcase that full of old possibly stale fuel you will bum out your new happy plugs instantly so take em all out turn off key and pull it over to see if it is blowing gas out of plug holes i would hate to think you could'nt clear out the flood with 5 or 10 pulls if not then you still need carb help. you tube is going to be your friend to help you there unless your near chicago or somewhere in michigan where i could come and help you dont give up it will work out if the person you got it from was honest and didn't sell ya a wall mount hoping for the best and please dont be afraid to ask for more help maybe im missing something. ? there are lot's of great mechanics on here me im just a parts changer spray can mechanic any more thats why im fixing stuff for buds every day instead of going back to work / lazy/ retired .hope ya get it going , mike ps if your fuel pump is shot / ruptured it could drain into your crank case never seen it but i normally work on newer sleds and now after reading you first post again i would say that that if it was up on angle in truck possible float level and or fuel pump rupture please let us know what you find out thanks
I have a 96 bearcat 440 fan spark on both cylinders getting gas maybe to much it seems will only run on one cylinder,any ideas?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM

many times my buds have blown seal in case between cylinders it's been along time since we had old twins plenty of parts / knowledge out there though could be coil,or wire or cap being a problem

Last edited by snowxcrazy1; 03-21-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum > Snowmobiles > Arctic Cat Snowmobiles > Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode