Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Finally got a good ride in

624 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pelle15 
#1 ·
So. I got the 98 ZL 500 out this weekend. I put 40 miles on it. We were on a lake with very little snow cover. Finally got a good run with it. This was the second time I had it out. The last time was back in November when we had12". I found a broken clutch spring after that weekend.
I was very happy with its top speed of 102 mph! I think I could've gotten 105 with a bit more lake. But at least I know what it is capeable of. You definitely need a studded track for the ice. My skidoo is not studded and is not very reassuring on the ice over 30 mph.
Now onto Minoqua WI in a few weeks.

#2 ·
Not to burst your bubble but it really wasn't 102. The speedos are a little off. But the fact that you where reading that says the sled is running pretty good

#3 ·
That's why they are called the dream-o-meter lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I know what your saying, but I checked it against a skidoo and a Yamaha, at 60 they all read the same. I also grabbed my gps from my truck and did a run it was reading 100 when I backed off. So yes I do believe it was going 100 mph. I've read where other owners have said the ZL500 will do upper 90's without breaking a sweat! It seems the ZL 500 was very under rated! It's also possible the previous owner may have done some performance stuff. If so hen it's all internal, because everything on the outside is bone stock!
Why what do you think the top speed would be?

So let's say even if my gps was off a bit (which it couldn't be), it would still be an upper 90's sled!

#5 ·
Oh its a upper 90's sled. But stock clutching is a mid 90's sled

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.