Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

'00 ZR 500 EFI Complete newb

989 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  660catman 
#1 ·
Hi, I just got my first snowmobiles about a week ago on a trade for my truck... One of which (runs the most rough) is a '00 ZR 500 EFI. I work on cars and have experience with quads, but WOW how much of a different world Sleds are! That being said I have a few questions, starting with performance.

We noticed my clutch is marked as belonging to a 600, rather and a 500, is this a good or bad thing? (paint marker like it was marked when pulled off another sled.) #2, I can get on it and she wants to go once the clutch engages, however (speedo doesn't work so estimation) I hit 40mph and it bogs down from 7krpm to about 6krpm, if I go half throttle and slowly increase I can usually get it to what I believe is top speed. The only thing that we've noticed is the boots going into the motor both have large cracks as if it may be allowing too much air for the mixture thus bogging it down.

Now for the easier part, I am not usually so helpless, and don't want to be, I've seen some people talking about downloading owners manuals off the internet? Could someone point me in the direction of where I might be able to download these? I've got 4 sleds '99 440 carbed, '00 500 carbed, '00 500 EFI and a '01 ZL 600 EFI.

And 1 last thing, I can't seem to find (As it seems my googling skills have begun to decline this last year) a good source on line to purchase or look up parts. My closest dealer is a solid 45 minute drive alone, so online shopping would be preferred method for me. Thanks for your time and patience, I apologize if this has all been answered 1 million times before, but as a merchant marine, I'm terrible with the internet and computers, I don't use either very much anymore.

See less See more
#2 ·
Get those boots replaced ASAP before you blow the motor. Clutch might be calibrated to a 600 which may be different than a 500. Doesn't mean it won't work though.

Arctic Cat Snowmobile Service Manuals PDF Download is a site to download PDF versions for 4.95 U.S each.

Country Cat Home is recommended a lot on this site for internet ordering.

#3 ·
Seven

You have some work ahead of you. As 660 mentioned, stop riding it with cracked intake boots, you are correct in saying they could be letting in excessive air which will create a burn down.

Your speedo not working probably means the driveshaft bearings need to be replaced. I wouldn't ride it anymore until you get the bearings replaced or at least determine what is causing the no speedo issue if it's not the bearings.

When you put the "600" clutch on did you put the spring and weights in it from your 500 clutch or did the 600 clutch come complete and you just put it on your sled?

Sounds like maintenance on that sled has been lacking, if you end up doing the bearings on your driveshaft you will have the rear suspension out you might as well go through the rear suspension thouroughly.

#7 ·
well you are off to a good start
lots of good people here to help you
where in michigan are you?

To everyone: Thanks for the responses, this sled is in the worst shape of all 4 so, I'm happy so far. This 500 needs new gaskets for the engine, boots and as you say possibly the bearings. I got a ZL 600 in the trade which looks mint and is 200 miles into a rebuild.

Auburn, I'm in the Mason county area which is on the west side of the state right on Lake Michigan.

#8 ·
Sorry for the double post, if I was looking for these driveshaft bearings, they're the lower shaft bearing in the chain case correct? I'm looking at the diagram, I also read someone saying you have to pull the whole shaft out to replace them as to not damage seals, I assume this to be accurate?

#9 ·
Yes they are. You don't need to order bearings from Cat. If you have a bearing supplier close to you, take old ones with you. There are numbers on the bearing which makes it easy. Pull shaft out. If piece of speedo drive in broken in driveshaft, it's easier to get at. Chaincase side has seal which you don't want to damage. Chaincase bearings last a lot longer than the other side. At this point you may want to change jackshaft bearings (upper ones) and skid bearings too. Skid bearings are 6205-2RS and the 2 upper idler wheels and for the life of me, I cannot remember what they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.