Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2003 ZR900 Vibration

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MNkittykat 
#1 ·
2003 ZR900 Vibration at idle
It is so bad make the belt squeal, took the clutch off and started still there, tried to weight the clutch at different points was unable to make a significant difference. Is this just the 900 motor or is something deep in the engine going bad? Help??:Bangin:

#2 ·
shakey shakey

could be crank problem
broken motor mounts, cracked frame
bearing mount bad, jackshaft
but our 900's shake like crazy at idle
we put hpe brackets on the motor mounts and added 3rd mount under the front helped
if you kick rpm up at idle does it smooth out?

#3 ·
could be crank problem Not sure of that one I guess it will get worse in time if so.
broken motor mounts, cracked frame No broken mounts or cracks in the frame
bearing mount bad, jackshaft
but our 900's shake like crazy at idle
we put hpe brackets on the motor mounts and added 3rd mount under the front helped
if you kick rpm up at idle does it smooth out? As the RPM goes up it doesn't seem as bad runs fine other wise if it didn't squeal at idle on the belt I'm not sure I would even worry about it.

#6 ·
ZR900's were often referred to as "paint can shakers" as they tend to vibrate really bad at idle, often making the handlebars do a harmonically induced "figure-8" if you watch them closely...

Belt squeal is definitely belt deflection issue due to wrong shims like mentioned (or incorrect belt width/length issue)..

#7 ·
Belt squeal has nothing to do with engine vibration. What do you mean you weighted the clutch at different points? You may want to get the clutch balanced now if you messed up the clutch balance enough you could really shorten the life of the motor. 900 motor will shake the sled at idle but should smooth right out off idle.

For belt squeal, correct clutch offset and check your secondary floats, and correct belt tension. Make sure you have correct belt also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.