Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Picked up a ZR800 CC. What do i need to know

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  mopar4u 
#1 ·
Ive been out of the sled game for a while but i picked up just about the sled ive always wanted. I bought a 2002 ZR 800 Cross country EFI, with a 136 extention. It is a very clean sled with 4000 miles. The adjustable shock has been disabled and replaced.

So far i cleaned the power valves, new plugs and fresh gas. With the PVs out the pistions looked good along with the walls. As far as i know everything under the hood about this sled is stock and original

What work should i do now at 4000 miles to make sure this will be a good sled to me and not leave me stranded?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#3 ·
Top end at 4000 miles? Why? I put 10,000 miles on one of those engines no problem. I'd be more likely to replace drive shaft and jackshaft bearings, tear apart clutches and inspect. It likely needs weights and pins. Pull skid and inspect all bushings and cross shafts. Especially check skid for egged out holes where front and rear arms attach. That sleds looks awesome! Enjoy!

#5 ·
mileage on a top end rebuild is a really hot topic. there is people who last forever, and people who don't.

to a compression check, see where your motor is, and go from there.

i wouldn't even check to see if their good or not, i would just replace the driveshaft and jack shaft bearings because you can.

then as said, pull the skid and give it a good look over and grease. check your idlers as well.

and don't forget to pull the front suspension. if the a arms dont have grease zerks either put some in, or pull the bolt pack it full and put the bolt back in.

and because their cheap, check your tie-rod ends both inners and outers, and the bearing/bushings for the steering post. might not leave you stranded, but can make for a much more enjoyable ride if your steering is tight.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Quite a few members have noted issues with all balls bearing especially in the ATV wheel bearings.

#9 ·
Seams everyone has chimed in on the important stuff. At 4k miles you might also want to pull the shocks and also have them all rebuilt, especially if you are already going to pull the rear skid to check that out, the less you have to pull and put that pain in the butt back in the better!!

Hard to say when the last time they were rebuilt, since the adjustable front shock is disconnected I would leave it like that, you'll be glad you did. They tended to fail early.

#17 ·
I bought the same sled last year. I would recommend checking clutch alignment then getting a torque arm, might help prevent premature belt blow ups. I put one on because I wasn't quite hitting max rpm because clutches weren't staying aligned.

Arctic Cat - SLP Engine Torque Arm - Starting Line Products

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.