Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

97 powder extreme question

2K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  pelle15 
#1 · (Edited)
97 powder extreme project.

Can I mount my skid on my 97 Powder extreme 600 in the mounting brackets below the running boards, without changing anything else. I am in the prosses of rebuilding it Cat happy so if anybody has any tricks or mods let me know. Also has anybody made there own anti-stab kits?

.......guess it became more than a question......

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks alot, i am keeping the stock suspension for now, i got to get the engine built and running yet then might put new skid under it, i like the idea of a crossfire skid :) . Just to let you guys know what things look like, it was in decent shape, just dirty and the guy had it half apart so that saved alot of work. I just got all the A-arms primed so, any suggestions on colors seems like too much black on it.

#7 ·
Sweet, might do that next summer. As i need to get it running first, but really want to sometime. There was a guy on here that said you can get a TSL and put it on the rear and get a longer 11.5in shock and put those 2 things on and it will make it a long travel skid, any down falls to this?

#8 ·
No negatives what so ever. A TSL, Torque Sensing Link, skid is the best mod ever.

Even with the stock front end, the sled rides like a dream. Not sure about the longer shock thing? I kept the new skid stock. It's find the way it is. Now is the time to do the swap. You have everything down to the bare bones.

You're project is looking great!thumbguy

#12 · (Edited)

Any idea why there are 2 brown wires hooked together in the first pic, and a brown and yellow in the second?

And the LED is for what? The only thing that is different is there is was a 12v system installed on the handle bars but was cut, so i removed it, also there was a diode soldered in on the black wire coming form the cdi box and ideas on this?

#14 ·
#21 ·
My last two refreshes I used SPI Pistons & Rings, OE Wrist Pin bearings, and Widerosa gaskets. About 4500 miles now, so I guess they're good.

The crank will need PTO & Mag seals at a minimum. That's what I did. The only consumer serviceable bearings, depending upon you skills & tools, is the PTO & Mag bearings. The PTO is the one that takes the biggest beating. Mine rolled really smooth, with no slop, so I left them this time around. Next time, crank work may be needed. Again, I'm well over 10,000 miles.

If you're unsure, about the crank, bring it in for a second opinion. And bring the jugs with for inspection and a very light hone.

Use a Torque Wrench for Everything! Know the specs and use them.

#25 ·
Any questionable bearing needs to be replaced. Compare the SPI wrist pin cage rollers with your current ones. If you like what you see, use the SPI's. If there's any question, use Cat OE.

I do not know, for certain, if a 96 crank will fit the 97 case. If I was a gambling man, I'd say yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.