Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

HELP! Drilling and tapping water pump housing??

983 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Freak11970 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I had a screw break almost flush off while taking the water pump cover off, there is not enough to even get vies grips on.. I tried to file it and use a impact driver no luck..I am going to buy a screw extractor in the morning see if I can drill into it enough to pound the extractor in and hopefully turn it out... I have a felling this is not going to work and my last option is to drill it out completely and tap it a size bigger...has anyone ever heard of this...thanks again for all the help!!!

#2 ·
If its flush with the pump pull the rest of the screw out and pull the cover off over it and put some vise grips on it. You should be able to slide it over the broken screw. Or did it brake even with the inner case?

#5 ·
Yes- they come in all different sizes, of course. You chuck it up in your drill and run it in reverse. I use a center punch to get a starting point, and use a bit that isn't going to get into the threads. The bit cuts the bolt as it drills, creates a little heat too, which doesn't hurt, and acts as an easy out (if you're lucky). I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of getting it out that way- be really careful and stay straight and square and away from threads and you should be good to go.

If all else fails- a properly installed helicoil will work well and fix your problem permanently

helicoil,helicoil insert,helicoil inserts,helicoil kit, helicoil tap, heli-coil, helicoil tools

#6 ·
The screw and the case are what is called dissimilar metals, they corrode when put together, it is a common issue especially with aluminum. What this causes is a bond of corrosion that often makes screw removal difficult or worse as in this case. A good concentrated shot of heat to the aluminum case in the immediate area of the threaded hole will cause the aluminum to expand fast, faster than the screw and break the bond the corrosion has on the screw. I would say the left hand drills would be your best bet too, extractors can expand the diameter of the screw if not used carefully enough. Makes sure you drill centered and square to the axis of the screw, there's not much room for error and you will be in the aluminum and it will be nearly impossible to get centered again.

#7 ·
Ok so I bought easy out extractor. Reverse drill bit and still no luck...now I think I have to drill it out and ether tap or try this helicoil..the helicoil sounds ideal if it will fit in the hole I drill out and possibly even use the same screws..tapping the hole one size bigger sounds easiest option now I just haven't found anything anywhere of anyone doing this

#9 ·
If u have mig ,broken bolts in aluminum are piece of cake. Grind end clean hold a nut over exposed end and fill with weld . Let cool little and bolt will back out easy. I have even used this method on bolts broke inside hole. I work on fords and exhaust stud removal on aluminum heads is a daily job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.