Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

drive cog bearings

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob P 
#1 ·
Hey I have a question I have been told I can change my clutch side drive bearing without having to take the shaft out. How true is this? It would be great if I could seeing that I will prob have to do this outside. Any help is better than none.

#2 ·
Not true at all.
Your better off just pulling the whole drive shaft out and do both bearings at once. Give the gears and chain a look over to while its apart. If one bearing is bad the other one will not be too far behind it. Hate to replace one, put it all back together and in a few miles the other one goes. Then you gotta tear it all back apart a second time. Theres also a lock collar that, most of the time is seized on there (sometimes the bearing is to) and has to be cut off with a grinder. If you have to cut yours off be careful not to hit the driveshaft with the grinder. Just carefully cut almost all the way thru and then knock it of with a chisel and hammer. Same applies to the jackshaft
I have to do all my work on my sled outside aswell, your not alone there. Ive put in a new track, done clutching, electrical work and did the tsl suspension swap all laying in the snow! Some sort of make-shift garage is in the works for this summer, enough laying in the snow lol

#6 ·
And once again thanks. Ya im gonna get the other bearing at my local tractor dealer. The cat dealer charged me $55 for the first one. Felt that was too much for just one bearing. The only one left in stock.Going to tackle this 2mor.

#7 ·
Be careful, look at the bearing. A few weeks ago when i did mine I
called the local Tractor Supply (TSC) and they said they had them.
When i went to the store the bearing in the package marked SA205-16
was not correct. It didn't have a collar on the inner race of the bearing
or the locking collar either. TSC has the wrong bearing in the package I think.

AutoZone, NAPA, Auto Value, and O'Reilly all had them.

bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.