Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

03 mountain cat 900 bogging and running on one cylinder

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bigstv 
#1 ·
So I'll try to keep it short but detailed. I have a 03 mountain cat 900 that I just rebuilt the top end. I took it out on the 1st ride and it ran awesome. Had no issues tell I shredded a belt. I didn't have a spare (LIKE A JACK) so I ended up getting pulled back. It took it for a 2nd ride last weekend and it ran like crap. It was boggy and could tell right away it wasn't running right. Also mid week I took my tank off to weld on my handle bars. For a extra safety precision I started my sled for a sec to run the gas out of my line and into my pluse pump and carbs seeing I was going to be welding right above my line.(problem could be from barley running out of gas) So after the ride I brought it back in the garage to see what the problem was. It has spark it's getting fuel and it blows my finger off the cylinder(don't have compression tester) so it has compression. So i started it up to see if it was what I initially thought running on one cylinder. I pulled the mag side plug wire and it dropped for a sec in rpm's then back to normal pulled the pto side and it died. Dead cylinder on mag side right? Well the weird thing about it is if I pull the wire on the pto side while giving it gas it will stay running but like crap. Please tell me it's not a crank bearing or something with the crank because of that pos belt. Also power valves are working good and look fine just put new reed in as well so they should be good.

#2 ·
Just because it blows your finger off doesn't mean compression is good.....

You may have taken out the crank seal with the belt shreds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Ok so I somewhat figured it out. Its the coil pack or the stator. So today I fired the sled up and switched the plug wires around and the problem followed the wires. Ya i know should have tried that sooner you dummy. So I'm not sure if it's the stator goin out or the coil pack. I would think if it was the stator it would be both cylinders. As you guys can tell I'm kinda new to sled. It's only been 3 year's and have learned a bunch and yet to learn so any help is appreciated. Also I thought it was a crank seal but the plugs have no sing of being lean. I would imagine the pulg would show sing of being lean if it where sucking air. (True or false? Just curious) they are actually a little dark but I am running 100 to 1 in the tank as well as what the oil pump is pumping.

#4 ·
I had the same issue last year on my 03 zr9, was running fine all day then start missing really bad. Checked compression on both cylinders and checked out fine, ended up being the coil pack. Put a new on and runs great, so definitely check that out, good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.