ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum (http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/)
-   Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar (http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl-zr-zrt-tcat-ext-jag-cougar/)
-   -   1996 ZR580 Charging system (http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl-zr-zrt-tcat-ext-jag-cougar/349118-1996-zr580-charging-system.html)

rndbird 02-10-2014 12:37 PM

1996 ZR580 Charging system

Hi, new to site and have a 1996ZR580 ( with 550 motor) FI. The sled does not appear to be charging the battery. Now first I must state that I have seen reference to a "battery light" on the dash. Mine has one ( in the tach. ) but has never lit up sense I owned the sled. Also the guy I bought it from never new it existed and he was the one that did the restore on the machine. So do I need to attack this problem first? I am also looking into grounds and going to clean all regardless of how they look. This is my last effort on riding before my muscular dystrophy takes me off the trails forever. Please help!, I was an auto mechanic before my illness retired me. But I still want to at least putt on the trails for a season or two.......Thanks for your help!
UPDATE
I was just out and using a volt meter at the battery I had 12.2v ( KOEO) and 11.93 (KOEO) when I started the sled the volt meter climbed to about 14.0 to 14.2, after about 5 minutes running time the voltage started dropping. ( down to 11.73) so I shut off the hand warmers, ( voltage still dropping) and quick installed my battery tender. Which then the voltage then started to climb. Pulled the tach assembly out, found corrosion at two wires, ( black and red) nothing serious but they do go to the battery light. ohm testing and voltage showing both. But what is norm?

1995acext580 02-10-2014 12:50 PM

What makes you think it's not charging?

If indeed it's not charging you will have to check out the wiring, fusible links, and voltage regulator/rectifier

rndbird 02-11-2014 09:21 AM

Based on volt meter readings at the battery.

zrt900 02-11-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1995acext580 (Post 2641034)
What makes you think it's not charging?

If indeed it's not charging you will have to check out the wiring, fusible links, and voltage regulator/rectifier

It sounds like either the voltage regulator or stator. Charges when started cold yet starts to lose charge when it warms up fr your description.
I would put my money on the Voltage requlator. Also cheapest to replace . Stator is dear for the AC's. Seems to me one I put on my ZRT was 700+ fr AC.
I know there is some type of ohm test for the VR as well as stator but where yours seems to drop when warm ohm test might not work. Try a voltage regulator and see what happens is way Iwould go.

Anyone know the Ohm test for the VR? If so chime in to help this guy.

kev 02-11-2014 09:07 PM

You have a red and black wire on the tach? Is this setup using a 3 phase stator? Is there 3 yellow/red wires coming off the stator?

rndbird 02-14-2014 12:26 PM

I ordered the voltage regulator to try it ( wish me luck) Now I was told by a salvage dealer that the 550 motor was never injected. ( and that is what I have) so as I wait for parts I must ponder if the stator in the 550 has enough output for the fuel injection. Find ut soon and let you know.

rndbird 02-18-2014 10:01 AM

I installed new regulator today. No change. Anyone want to buy this P.O.S.?

1995acext580 02-18-2014 10:52 AM

No change with the regulator..... I'm not an expert on the efi sleds but I'm gonna have to say the stator might be failing. Those are not exactly cheap either

kev 02-18-2014 01:01 PM

Is there 2 regulators? Which regulator did you swap? Still trying to figure out what ignition components you're running. Most sleds have a yellow and brown going to the tach. The only ones that run a red and black that I know of are the set ups running 3 phase stators. Can't really help without knowing what's in there.

1995acext580 02-18-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev (Post 2645767)
Is there 2 regulators? Which regulator did you swap? Still trying to figure out what ignition components you're running. Most sleds have a yellow and brown going to the tach. The only ones that run a red and black that I know of are the set ups running 3 phase stators. Can't really help without knowing what's in there.

He's not talking about the tach signal wires. He's talking about the battery light indicator wires.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/uputesuq.jpg