Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2001 ZR 600 Front Heat Exchanger

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Lqdmetalmkr 
#1 ·
Anyone know where is the best place to get a replacement front heat exchanger for a 2001 EFI ZR 600?

#5 ·
Look closer. It is welded to the bulkhead down the sides of the heat exchanger. At the top edge it attaches to the tunnel, but down the sides it is welded. It is also welded across the bottom to the frame assembly. That is unless your sled is a frankenstien that has been butchered by a previous owner. From the factory they were welded and you can't just buy the heat exchanger.

#7 ·
All I have left to remove is the engine. Got to give the whole thing a good wash. Figured it would be easiest to get at it if everything else was out of the way. It was welded by the previous owner, but the way it looks, it failed too. I'm a welder and a fabricator for life. So this isn't something I can't do. I wondered how much damage was done to the inside of the heat exchanger and how much restriction it had with the weld job on it. Beings you can't see all that with the ****** weld on it now, I wanted to just get a different one and swap it.

#14 ·
#15 ·
I lost a stud and it damaged the front heat exchanger badly. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Then I used panel bond, same stuff that the body shops use to glue car panels together, same stuff the auto manufacturers use. 3 years and close to 5000 miles later no issues. No welding required, less likely to plug up the heat exchanger. The key is simple "it must be free of ALL anti freeze residue". I used carb cleaner. Simple, cheap and it works.

#16 ·
I'm kind of pressed for time with this one. Just got it home two weeks ago. My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer all over her body in July. She is still hanging it strong with us all for now but it is only a matter of time. We go and spend every weekend with her and my father to get in as much time as possible. I only have time to work on this on the week nights for now. I just need to get it ready so I have some thing else to do all winter than build bikes in my garage.

#17 ·
Wow, that's rough. Sorry to hear that.

My 95 has a removable front heat exchanger that's riveted in place. I wonder how easy it would be to just cut yours out completely, weld a couple pieces across for strength and rivet one of these older ones in to place.

#18 ·
I've been looking at that also. I have found another chassis that I can get the whole works out of. So for now I think I'll aim towards that route. All the heat exchangers I could find early off when I started looking into for a fix for this, were all riveted in on older sleds. I thought, that would be nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.