Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
SLE

144" ZRT 600 clutching & performance mods

Alright, I've completed and become comfortable with my 144" long track project that I recently completed on my ZRT. Now it's time to add some performance!

First for a little background; the sled is a 2000 ZRT 600 with a tick over 2,000 original miles. Compression is 115 accross the board so I should be good to go. Carbs, air box and so forth have all been aprart cleaned and reinstalled a few weeks ago. No engine work or mods have been done and I'm running stock pipes with a MBRP race can. The running gear of the sled has been has been changed to a 144" x 2" notch track, tunnel extention, 136 Rails w/ 144 extension, extended heat exchangers with rear cooler, 8 Tooth Drivers, AntiStab Kit, new seat cover, 3" bar riser w/ hand gaurds, Slydog Powderhound Skies. I'm not a lake runner and my goal with this thing is to build a bit a of tripple tripple crossover. So far I'm pleased with my results. I don't care to go 120 accross the lake but love the 0-80mph stuff with the occasional powder run or hill climb.

After a few tries tuning the suspension I have come to a happy medium and feel that the sled rides and handles really well and hooks hard with the new track! I figure nows the time to go after a liitle more power. I've explored ideas of adding pipes, power breathers or gutting the air box, clutch kits, reeds, and of course gearing. I just don't know quite where to start or how far I want to go. First and formost it has to remain dead reliable! I also know that adding pipes affects everything else from jetting to clutching so if that's truely the best bang for the buck performance wise then pelase tell me so I'm not chasing my tail.

I guess I should start with the Air Box. Is it worth adding a power breather, should the air box simply be gutted or is it best to leave it alone. I've read countless forums that have only confused the matter.

Gearing? Rght now with the 8 tooth drivers I've essentially already geared it down and by the seat of my pants it pulls really hard from 20mph to about 80 on the speedo. I have little need to go much faster than 80+. I'd rather it be an animal from 0-80 as I don't do any lake running.

Clutching? Right now I dont know what size wieghts or degree helix I have although since both springs are yellow which I assume is factory I would assume the same for the rest. The only thing I noticed that's probably different from factory is the secondary spring is set in the tightest hole. I feel this might be pretty tough and I'll probably have to compramise a bit. I'd like it to come on pretty soft at engagement so I can get started in deeper bottemless snow yet once engaged pull hard and shift fairly quick. Maybe my thinking is backwords, feel free to add other suggestions. I know little to nothing about clutching.

Reeds? from what I've read there's really no downside to adding aftermarkets, let me know if I'm worng. The question comes down to Boyseen or Vforce and if used ones are safe or if new are a must.

Last but not least are pipes. I know they'll add performance with out a doubt. I also know that for the most part they make power at 88-9200 rpm depending on brand (and this will play into to clutching & gearing). What effect are these truley going to have and how much reliability am I going to sacrafice? Of course the next questions is if these are a must have what brand are the ones to watch for and which ones should a guys stay away from.

Thanks for any help, I'm looking forward to having a one of a kind relic. So far from the guys I know and ride with, all have been impressed with how this project has turned out. Just hoping to make it better. I'm also out of garage projects so I need something to wrench on in my spare time.
SLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
SLE

There must be an infinant knowlage ZRT guru around here willing to part with some past experience on these relics of days past?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
SLE

60 views an no ZRT wisdom?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Sled: 2002 ZRT600
10-11 Mileage: 830
09-10 Mileage: 800
08-09 Mileage: 700
07-08 Mileage: 1580
06-07 Mileage: 1700
Likely because you went 144, most go from 121 to 136. Plus the 8 inch drivers and 2" track. On a 136 conv, most would gear at no more than 22/41 maybe 22/40 with a 1.5 track, then clutch according to mods. 57/50, 57/51 and 57/52 is a good trail/flatlander helix not sure for your location. ANother issue will be you want powder riding and the zrt6 is a dog when the engagement is below 4600 rpm, you will not like that high engagement in powder as the zrt is quite heavy when it gets stuck.

You doing a one of a kind. My guess is try snowest likely one of them tried it or at least did a t-cat with a 144 then you could come up with a guess.

The mods your looking at would all be good, but keep in mind after market pipes do not like to engage below 4800 rpms.
mikef7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
SLE

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured the 2" x 144" paddle and 8 tooth drivers was out in left field for most. Although I had a few threads during the build I found in the end most of the real detail I had to work out on my own. I am still of course interested in other comments for a good starting point. As far as clutching goes I don't neccessarly have an issue with a higher engagement however the key is getting it to not hit like a sledge hammer. It would be perferable if I could get it to start a little soft before full engagement. Might end up being I need to adjust my riding style when in a situation of being in bottemless snow.

As far as heavyness goes, franky it's not noticably heavier then the wifes ZR 600 or the Father-in-laws powder Special when riding. The addition of the powderhound skis, proper suspension set up, and removal of the stock suitcase silencer certainly helped matters quite a bit though!

As I indicated before I'm simply shooting for almost a crossover type sled. Something I can run down the trail once in a while, excell at cross country riding and playing in the coulees,k and yet have something somewhat capable at playing in the deep with a possible trip out west or to the black hills. I don't think I'm asking for too much, ha ha. This project might have been easier with the wifes ZR however I find myself missing the power of the tripple everytime I ride the ZR. The one thing I don't miss when riding the ZR (600efi) is "hitchhiker thumb" from pulliing on three carb springs!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
SLE

Bump!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Lets get some finished pics!

I hear the air breather...waste.. just gut the box, and ensure you have a source of cold air!

Gearing.. Im lost, figure out a ratio that you would like, and it may take some playing around!

Clutching.. talk to Snow800 here. he has a dandy kit I hear for the 800 triples, and I am pretty sure he can set something up for what your needing.

Reeds, I am seeing more than most are going with the V Force 3 reeds. Not too many guys run the boyesen reeds on a cat triple.

Well, hope to see some pics! Good luck!
Ask us more ???s!
axlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
SLE

Here you go!

144" ZRT 600 clutching & performance mods-image.jpg
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #9

Thing is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!! Seriously! Nice job! who made up that tunnel extension?! I am sure if you keep this bumped up, there will be some more replies! Did I say the sled was a beauty???
axlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
SLE

Thanks for the compliment, I do apprieciate it. Here's a couple more after it was 100% complete and washed. The last picture I posted I was still tinkering on some stuff. I'm not positive but I believe the tunnel extension and the rear heat exchangers and heat exchanger extensions were all genuine Arctic Cat. I bought them used out of the classifieds off of either here, snowest, or hcs although it was about a year ago and I cann't recall for sure. The rails are actually 136" rails from a pantera with a 136" to 144" extensions and the rear boggy wheels are a size larger than what came factory for the ZRTs & ZRs. I had the option of green or black boggy wheels and untill I had it all together I wasn't sure I made the right choice. I am now though. The track is a 144"x15"x2" that came from a newer Skidoo and I notched it myself (not terrible but kind of a PITA).

144" ZRT 600 clutching & performance mods-img_20121124_140611.jpg

144" ZRT 600 clutching & performance mods-img_20121124_135959.jpg

144" ZRT 600 clutching & performance mods-img_20121124_140632.jpg

Hopefully someone sees the amount of work that I've done so far and understands that I'm truely serious about adding some power to this project. As I said before, all input is welcome.

FYI, the weather in the area is taking a turn for the worse to night, here's to hoping for 12+ inches of fresh white snow!

Last edited by SLE; 01-10-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page
144 paddle track
1999 arctic cat zl 600 extended
99 zrt 600 long track
99zrt 600 mods
arctic cat powder extreme mod sled
arctic cat powder extreme with 144
hill climb zrt 600
zr 600 mod
zrt 600

zrt 600 mods

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.