NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar » Few Quick Questions - upper chaincase sprocket & speedometer

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Sled: 1996 EXT EFI 580 Deluxe w/ TSL & AGLT
Few Quick Questions - upper chaincase sprocket & speedometer

I put my jackshaft back in today with new bearings, went in fairly easy. I put the upper chaincase sprocket back on but it doesnt sit all the way on the jackshaft. I didnt notice when i took it apart if it was supposed to sit like that. Second question is my speedometer hasnt worked since i got it. I made sure everything was turning in the speedo adapter. It was good. Then i hooked it up to the speedo gauge and it didnt budge. so im geussing the inside of my gauge is rusted. anyone know how i can free it up in side?
Attached Thumbnails
Few Quick Questions - upper chaincase sprocket & speedometer-imag0320.jpg   Few Quick Questions - upper chaincase sprocket & speedometer-imag0318.jpg  
96EXTEFI580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
The top sprocket won't go all the way on. That's normal. I always put silicone on the splines so the oil doesn't seep out the shaft and get on everything. Top and bottom for that matter. When tightening the triangular plate always use a 1/4" drive ratchet if possible or if you use and end wrench don't tighten it to the point of bending the plate or it will leak oil. Don't over tighten. I also use a little silicone on the o-rings/bearings too. Use a straight edge to make sure the two sprockets are aligned with each other when you put in the drive shaft. If not, you will need to move the shaft over to achieve this by unlocking the set screw and lock collar.

The speedo may be rusted as you said. I have replaced one once for a friend that was rusted inside the speedo itself. Had to buy a used one to install. You might get lucky and spray it with PB Blaster penetrating oil. Its worth a shot. Let it sit a day and spray it again.

Life is not a bowl of cherries, it's more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow !!!

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...to-96-zrt.html
Crossfire skid into a 96 ZRT

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl...t=zrt+800+aglt
ZRT 800 AGLT

Last edited by tcat446; 07-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
tcat446 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcat446 For This Useful Post:
96EXTEFI580 (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by tcat446 View Post
The top sprocket won't go all the way on. That's normal. I always put silicone on the splines so the oil doesn't seep out the shaft and get on everything. Top and bottom for that matter. When tightening the triangular plate always use a 1/4" drive ratchet if possible or if you use and end wrench don't tighten it to the point of bending the plate or it will leak oil. Don't over tighten. I also use a little silicone on the o-rings/bearings too. Use a straight edge to make sure the two sprockets are aligned with each other when you put in the drive shaft. If not, you will need to move the shaft over to achieve this by unlocking the set screw and lock collar.

The speedo may be rusted as you said. I have replaced one once for a friend that was rusted inside the speedo itself. Had to buy a used one to install. You might get lucky and spray it with PB Blaster penetrating oil. Its worth a shot. Let it sit a day and spray it again.
So you put silicone on the splines then put the gear on? Where abouts do you put the silicone on the bearings? and just put a little film of silicone on the o rings aswell? While were talking about oil seeping out, my chaincase over gasket, says in the manual to discard it n put a new one in. Does it have to be done, my gasket looks fine no cracks or anything. Should i still replace it ?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Speedometer is fixed. I sprayed it with WD 40 earlyer and just now i took a really small flat head n stuck it in there to see if it would budge. Barely took any force now it spins freely

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page
96 zrt speedometer jackshaft

arctic cat chain sprocket install

arctic cat chain sprocket which way

arctic cat f5 chain case
arctic cat zl 500 gauges

austin 7 speedo drive thrus bearing

changing sprockets on a arctic cat zr 500 chain case

gear ratio for a 1990 arctic cat prowler

how to get a arctic cat ext 580 chaincase sprockets and chain together

zrt chaincase sprocket position
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.