Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Sled: Arctic Cat zrt 600
Pulling over free 2 weeks ago, now locked up

I have a 96 ZRT 600 with 6100 miles, two weeks ago, I decided to try to see if I could get it started(First attempt all year). After 6 pulls, I decided to just wait till we get snow. Well, today I awoke to snow and went to pull onto the pull hand and was in for a surprise, when it didn't even move. Do you think its possible that it could have seized with just doing that? I tried to turn the clutch by hand and it wouldnt even move. Could it be possible that the rewind is froze and that it would lock the motor up?

Its probably getting close to new top end time anyway, but it just wicked surprised me when it happened. To make matters worse, my Yamaha which has also sat all year with out being started, started in 2 pulls.
Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Sled: 2003 Arctic Cat F7 Sno-Pro
ATV: 2004 Honda trx400ex
As far as the recoil mechanism being the cause of the lockup, it's highly unlikely. The nature of the design makes it nearly impossible for it to cause engine interference.

When the handle is pulled, the rotation causes two or more "fingers" to extend from the drive mechanism. These fingers catch ears on the engine side and lock in to rotate and start the ignition process. When the rotation of the starter drive stops or retracts, the "fingers" retract into the recoil starter.

There are a few things to try.

The first thing I'd do is pull out the spark plug(s) and try to rotate the engine. If it still doesn't move, remove the bolts which retain the recoil starter assembly. Doing this will insure you aren't having a "finger" bind.

I would also pull the air intake assembly out and THROUGHLY inspect. If some insects or mice decided to take residence in the plenum, a piece of nest will cause lockup issues.

If the engine starts with foreign material in the intake, foreign objects which get sucked into the carb and valves will cause stuck or bent valves, piston damage, etc.

I would also spray a good amount of SeaFoam spray lube into the spark plug holes while the plugs are out. This will lubricate and help free stuck rings or binding bearings due to corrosion after a long sit.

Also make certain to drain out any gas which has been sitting in the system for more than a month or so. Add some regular liquid SeaFoam to the fresh fuel you add.

Good luck.
Acetylene213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Sled: 1998 Indy 600 XC
10-11 Mileage: 375
09-10 Mileage: 200
08-09 Mileage: 350
07-08 Mileage: 100
06-07 Mileage: 350
ATV: 1999 Arctic Cat 300
2010 Mileage: 550
2009 Mileage: 250
2008 Mileage: 150
2007 Mileage: 350
2006 Mileage: 150
Umm a 2 stroke doesn't have any valve's, but I would just take some pb blaster and spray some in the cylinder if that doesn't free it up you can try some marvel mystery oil into the cylinder then let sit for a little bit.

Titanium Needle 3rd--Clipped 3 coils--Uni filter-- GPS mount--Custom paint--Dynojet Jet kit
Full Front locker--Halogen Bulbs--headlight's sealed
K&N Air filter--EBC Carbon brakes--2000LB Winch--Power Madd Hand Guards

Free Downloadable manual: mymowerparts.com

To Do:
26 inch Kenda Executioners
Exhaust Mod

SS Brake rotors
Grease jerks

ALL REPAIR ADVICE GIVEN FREELY, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK
chris111179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

Sled: 07' Doo 1000X Gade , 01' ZR800/900
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 1500
08-09 Mileage: 2500
07-08 Mileage: 2700
06-07 Mileage: 2000
could also be hydrolocked from a stuck fuel line flooding the crank....
catspaz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2000 thundercat 1996 ZRT 800 AGLT/136"
10-11 Mileage: 1249
09-10 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 650 - 2 thaws
06-07 Mileage: 1100
ATV: Arctic Cat 500/ SuzukiQuadzilla 500-sold
See if the primary clutch turns. If so, its likely in the recoil. My guess is its not the recoil.

Life is not a bowl of cherries, it's more like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow !!!

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinn...to-96-zrt.html
Crossfire skid into a 96 ZRT

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/z-zl...t=zrt+800+aglt
ZRT 800 AGLT
tcat446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by chris111179 View Post
Umm a 2 stroke doesn't have any valve's, but I would just take some pb blaster and spray some in the cylinder if that doesn't free it up you can try some marvel mystery oil into the cylinder then let sit for a little bit.
That's what I was thinking.

A buddy was telling me that "it could have but probably not" gotten some moisture in one of the cylinders and then froze.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

Sled: 2000 ZRT with a Wildcat 700 EFI swap
Yeah could be the case is full of gas. When you take the plugs out is it ALOT easier to pull over? does gas come spraying out of the Y-pipe? IF not.. Pull the motor apart.
93wildcat700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by 93wildcat700 View Post
Yeah could be the case is full of gas. When you take the plugs out is it ALOT easier to pull over? does gas come spraying out of the Y-pipe? IF not.. Pull the motor apart.

Doesnt matter what I do, the motor is seized. Pull the plugs, try to turn the drive clutch it doesnt matter.

My next question, could I just get new pistons and rings and rebuild it, or should I have it bored out? I know if I blew it, I'd have to bore it out, but it just seized up, thats why I am asking that.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

Sled: 2000 ZRT with a Wildcat 700 EFI swap
You need to see whats going on in there. If there is minimal damage you could possibly get away with a hone and new rings. I would pull the heads maybe the rings are just stuck..? are you sure it was running good when you put it away?

If it was running fine at the end of last year when you stored it than its not possible that its actually locked up per say..Rings might just be rusted?? thats strange id pull the heads off.
93wildcat700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by 93wildcat700 View Post
You need to see whats going on in there. If there is minimal damage you could possibly get away with a hone and new rings. I would pull the heads maybe the rings are just stuck..? are you sure it was running good when you put it away?

If it was running fine at the end of last year when you stored it than its not possible that its actually locked up per say..Rings might just be rusted?? thats strange id pull the heads off.
It was running great when it was put it away, lifted the skis across the yard lol.

Sadly, I wont be able to work on it till this Saturday. I will then pull the heads off and look at it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page

01 polaris 500 pull starter locked up

2005 artic cat 400 hydro locked

98 polaris indy 500 engine locked up
arctic cat snowmobile sat for two years now locked up
arctic cat zl 550 hydrolocks after sitting
cant pull recoil on sled

recoil jammed snowmobile

skidoo recoil locked up

snowmobile pull cord stuck

why is my pull cord locked up on my atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.