Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #1

fuel problem zl 440

i just picked up a 97 zl 440 cheap..... this is the first newer sled i ever bought. the problem is its not getting fuel to the carbs, there isnt even any in the lines, and yes the tank is full and the petcock for the shutoff is open. i can blow into the line and a little comes out. so my first question is there are 2 lines off the petcock, one on top one underneath, they werent hooked up so which one goes where. and how do i remove the tank to clean it out, because i assume it or something else may be clogged. it does run by spraying fuel in the carbs, and the compression and spark are good.. any help or suggestions would be great
glarizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Banned

Banned
ATV: s
Had the same problem with '96 cougar. The fuel line inside the gas tank came unhooked from the fitting where the fuel exits the tank. When the fuel level dropped to below 3/4 it would run out of gas. Siphon all gas out. Remove fitting where gas exits tank. It should come out with about a foot of gas line and a brass fitting with screen attached, which you can now check for clogs. If not that means the line inside the tank deteriorated and fell off, probably causing your problem. To clean the tank without the hassle of removing it I swabbed remaining gas in tank with a rag attached to a stick then left the tank open overnight to evaporate remaining moisture. Then when tank was dry I put in the shop vac hose. It sounded like it was pickin up a handful of gravel. Checked tank with flashlight and it was clean as a whistle. Re-installed fuel pick up line and fitting. New fuel in tank, problem solved.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to User Name For This Useful Post:
glarizza (12-08-2010), Relheok (08-27-2012)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #3

it looks like there is limited space in there would it be easier to remove the tank if so how does it come off. and the fitting on there is it where the petcock is or somewhere else....... anyone know how the lines off the petcock go then...thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #4

ok i got fuel in the lines and it pumps to the fuel pump not out... so fuel pump is the problem???? i got a good pulse i guess coming out of the motor....... also i noticed a chocolate milk look on the plugs...head gasket????man what did i get myself into lol.. good thing it was really cheap

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page

1995 z440 not getting fuel

1997 arctic cat z 440 spraying gas
440 intank fuel pump
artic cat inside tank fuel filter
artic cat z440 fuel line diagram
fuel filter for 1996 arctic cat 440z

fuel pump symptoms

how do you remove a gas tank off of a 97 z440 artic cat

is there a primer on a 2000 artic cat 440z
z440 not gettin fuel
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.