Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Sled: '94 Wildcat 700, '96 T-Cat 900
07-08 Mileage: 300+
On my '96 T-cat I'm having a problem with an exhaust leak comming from where the pipe fits into the manifold. I already tried replacing the carbon ring that goes inside the manifold but it did not help at all, if anything it made it worse. Is there anything I could use that would seal the connection? I've tried hi-temp sealer but since everything is rusty regular silicon won't stick to it and just blows out. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2001 ZL 800 ESR
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 1300
08-09 Mileage: 900
Either the flanges on the pipes or manifold coulb be bent or damaged, or possible the springs are weak and worn and not holding enough tension.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sled: 2015 XF7000sp Limited
10-11 Mileage: 1568
09-10 Mileage: don't ask.....
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zrt600trip @ Jan 3 2010, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Either the flanges on the pipes or manifold coulb be bent or damaged, or possible the springs are weak and worn and not holding enough tension.[/b]

x2, you could also try if you haven't already cleaning everything with maroon scotch bright pad. and then use the copper atv.

Need info on riding Pa??
http://www.pasnow.org
Pennsylvania Snowmobiling | Facebook

PA Certified snowmobile Safety Instructor
Ride safe arrive safe
contact Don@ dadsf7@hotmail.com

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."-- Ronald Reagan

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -- Ronald Reagan

dadszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #4

Sled: 97 ZRT 600 with 96 motor
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 1000 twisty
08-09 Mileage: 500
07-08 Mileage: 500
06-07 Mileage: 900
This problem is a pain in my ass too. The 96 has the worst design going. I have yet to figure out how to fix it. I got new springs too. I was just about to order those little gaskets that go in there. Those are alot more expensive than they should be. I will hold off since you said it did not help at all.
I am very interested to see what others have done to overcome this problem. Mine is on a ZRT
arcticcatmattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

Sled: 98 Arctic Cat ZL440
07-08 Mileage: 1200
06-07 Mileage: 1000
ATV: Kawasaki KFX400
2007 Mileage: 250
2006 Mileage: 250
I say put new springs on all the tabs and tack weld each exhaust port just to hold them together, then remove the whole system and finish welding it all together....It wont ever leak again.............
grspot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #6

Sled: '94 Wildcat 700, '96 T-Cat 900
07-08 Mileage: 300+
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Jan 5 2010, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
This problem is a pain in my ass too. The 96 has the worst design going. I have yet to figure out how to fix it. I got new springs too. I was just about to order those little gaskets that go in there. Those are alot more expensive than they should be. I will hold off since you said it did not help at all.
I am very interested to see what others have done to overcome this problem. Mine is on a ZRT
[/b]
Problem fixed. I pulled the pipe off and cleaned the ends inside and out with a wire wheel, for the inside you can get a course 1" wheel for a drill at just about any True Value store. I plugged the inside of the exhaust manifold with a towel to keep anything from getting inside the cylinder and sprayed brake cleaner inside that outer manifold flange to dry up any oil inside there cause silicon will not stick if it is oily. After everything was good and clean I squeezed some copper sealer into the manifold where that so-called carbon seal ring goes and also put a thin layer on the end of the pipe itself. The painful part was waiting for the sealer to set-up, in cold weather it doesn't dry very well. I had to wait about two days just for it to become tacky. Doesn't leak at all now.

You might try instead of copper sealer, there are muffler repair paste that come in tubes that you can get at most automotive repair places, but I'm not sure if they are as flexible as silicon. I don't think welding the pipes is a very good idea, no offense, because the pipes need to flex with the tork of the engine and bouncing around during riding. Making them solid might lead to cracks maybe even cracking the exhaust port on the cylinders, especially if you ride a lot of rough trails, just my opinion though.

Sorry it took me so long to post, been out riding, FINALLY. Have a good one.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #7

Sled: 96 Wildcat 700 EFI
thanks for posting. I have the same problem on my sled. glad I don't have to spend the $$$ on new donut gaskets. $35 a pair from the dealer.
rippin600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page
exhaust leaking on snowmobile
exhaust leaking on snowmobile where muffler springs attach to manifold
exhaust leaks polaris 250
exhaust repair paste
fixing exhaust in arctic cat
how to fix snowmobile exhaust leak
how to seal smowmobile exhaust conections
no weld snowmobile exhaist
repair snowmobile muffler

snowmobile exhaust leak fix

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.