Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

ho do you remove the front drive axle ?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  b18c1cya 
#1 ·
Well I got a question on how to remove the drive axle out of my 96 zrt 600 , I am installing a new track this weekend and wanted to know exactly what needs to come apart to get it , I searched some and could not realy get a good idea , just found stuff on the rear skid and track alinegment , any help would be great , Thanks :)

#2 ·
I can try and describe it best as possible, in a quick paragraph. If you need more details let me know.

First of all remove your skid. Loosen the track of all the way and remove the four bolts. Drain the oil out of the chain case. Remove chain case cover. Set parking brake, and loosen both bolts on top and bottom gear. Remove chain and gears. Remove flange on each bearing. I believe there are three bolts on each side. One flange is inside the chain case, and the other one is below the secondary clutch, where the speedometer cable hooks into. Then slide the shaft towards the chain case and the left side will drop down, and it should fall out.

I'm sure someone has a more detailed explanation, but it is pretty easy.

#3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecatman @ Jan 20 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can try and describe it best as possible, in a quick paragraph. If you need more details let me know.

First of all remove your skid. Loosen the track of all the way and remove the four bolts. Drain the oil out of the chain case. Remove chain case cover. Set parking brake, and loosen both bolts on top and bottom gear. Remove chain and gears. Remove flange on each bearing. I believe there are three bolts on each side. One flange is inside the chain case, and the other one is below the secondary clutch, where the speedometer cable hooks into. Then slide the shaft towards the chain case and the left side will drop down, and it should fall out.

I'm sure someone has a more detailed explanation, but it is pretty easy.[/b]
x2, that's about as clear cut as it gets. A pretty simple job actually

#6 ·
You do not have to remove the back part of the chain case.

I forgot to mention the chain tensioners. I would recommend removing everything except for the roller on the front side of the chain, someone you can adjust with the bolt. There are mixed opinions on this but I've done it on every snowmobile I have had and had no problems.

Arctic cat sells chain lube in a bottle, I believe it is 8 ounces or 12 ounces, I just use the whole thing and it is the correct amount. There is a dipstick for a reason though.

Are you putting on a bigger track? A deeper lug? Maybe consider dropping a tooth. Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.