Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #1

Sled: 1998 zr600efi
I have tested everything on my sled except the main computer and one side of the crankcase seal for leaks....I was wondering if the stator would cause a problem with real low idle on startup, or in most cases real high idle 4400-4500 rpm and just stay at that rpm but I would take it for a ride and it would perform well...it just would never idle down below 4500, I tested the stator as per specs and all seems to be fine as it sits...I also drained the gas and put fresh stuff in. I could go for a long ride through the snow without a performance issue, and park it back in my garage and it would just sit at 4500 rpms. So I matched up resistance and measurements with an exact sled like mine and all seems well...I checked the boots on the carbs real close but they seem just great...I am now very frustrated of course. I was thinking of swapping computers with the other 98 zr600 efi, and trying it....I don't mind riding the sled idling at 4500 rpm but I get paranoid that its gonna fry the engine one of these times....winters coming and I am running out of ideas. After starting it with fresh gas yesterday and letting it run for 5 minuites without it idling normal again, I searched the forums for answers on this problem and found nothing that would help except maybe getting the engine checked at the shop for a pressure test in the crankcase, is this possible to do at home? I tried the esther test which didn't do anything. The computer doesn't output any codes unless I unplug something. Anymore ideas to try for me...I was gonna just get a new stator and hope for the best, as this seems to be the most common problem but its just not related to real high idles that I can find...
98 zr600 efi 6000 miles.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #2

Sled: 2001 600 triple touring 2012 Grand Touri
ATV: 99 big bear, 91 Suzuki Quadrunner
Doubt it is the stator.
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator and look for obstructions in the return hose.
I assume the throttle cable has the proper slack?
Snowmobile Club
320 Sandy Hook Rd
Pontypool, ON
wbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Sled: 1998 zr600efi
Return hose is good, the throttle cables and so forth are smooth and fully open and close properly, I have not tested the fuel pressure regulator, if the pressure is right does this mean the regulator is good? It was tested at 34 or 38 psi last year if memory serves me right. It runs excellent other than the high idle that scares the bejesus out of me!
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #4

Sled: 1996 Artic Cat ZRT600
ATV: Yahmaha Rhino
Have a question about this also. My 96 zrt 600 idels high and it feels like it drops a cylinder after it get real warm. Now will a stator cause the engine to drop a cylinder?
kingofhill21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Sponsors

Sponsors
Sled: 95 ZRT 800 AGLT, 92 Jag 440
10-11 Mileage: 800
09-10 Mileage: 679
08-09 Mileage: 1000
07-08 Mileage: 1600
06-07 Mileage: 728
ATV: 50cc
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingofhill21 @ Sep 7 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Have a question about this also. My 96 zrt 600 idels high and it feels like it drops a cylinder after it get real warm. Now will a stator cause the engine to drop a cylinder?[/b]
Yours sounds typical of a stuck choke. Once it's warm, if the choke isn't fully seated, too much fuel gets through and kills the spark.

Original poster has EFI. I would also doubt it's a bad stator.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Sep 7 2008, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingofhill21 @ Sep 7 2008, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
 Quote:
Have a question about this also. My 96 zrt 600 idels high and it feels like it drops a cylinder after it get real warm. Now will a stator cause the engine to drop a cylinder?[/b]
Yours sounds typical of a stuck choke. Once it's warm, if the choke isn't fully seated, too much fuel gets through and kills the spark.

Original poster has EFI. I would also doubt it's a bad stator.
[/b][/quote]

well i bought this sled from a guy. I asked him about it and he said that the middle cylinders exhaust was way cooler then the two outside cylinder exhaust any clue why? Thanks for the help so to intrude to the OP
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #7

Sled: T-cat
07-08 Mileage: 1700
06-07 Mileage: 1000
Kev's right remove the middle cylinders choke cable from the carb and clean the plunger and the bore for the choke plunger. Then adjust it down, so that the plunger seats when the choke is off. Right now the choke is always on, on your middle cylinder because fuel is going past that plunger into the choke circuit. This is good when the engine is cold, but when it gets warmed up it needs more air or the fuel can not burn properly.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #8

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thunderscrap @ Sep 8 2008, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Kev's right remove the middle cylinders choke cable from the carb and clean the plunger and the bore for the choke plunger. Then adjust it down, so that the plunger seats when the choke is off. Right now the choke is always on, on your middle cylinder because fuel is going past that plunger into the choke circuit. This is good when the engine is cold, but when it gets warmed up it needs more air or the fuel can not burn properly.[/b]

Wow that makes a lot of sense did not think about that. thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #9

Sled: T-cat
07-08 Mileage: 1700
06-07 Mileage: 1000
underscore I am not realy great with efi sleds , but I would definately say it's not your stator. Unless it's your computer malfunctioning the only thing I can think of is throttle cable routing. Start the sled and while it is idling turn the steering left and right. If the revs increase and or decrease in different spots you have a routing problem. Simple fix, just reroute the cable. Good luck.

Anytime King. Hope thats all it is. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 AM   #10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thunderscrap @ Sep 8 2008, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
underscore I am not realy great with efi sleds , but I would definately say it's not your stator. Unless it's your computer malfunctioning the only thing I can think of is throttle cable routing. Start the sled and while it is idling turn the steering left and right. If the revs increase and or decrease in different spots you have a routing problem. Simple fix, just reroute the cable. Good luck.

Anytime King. Hope thats all it is. Good luck.[/b]

Any reason why a zrt 600 would idel at 3k on a 70 degree day and during the winter time? Would the stuck choke cause this too?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page
99 zr600 idles high in park

bad fuel regulator causing high idle

can a bad fuel pressure regulator cause a high idle

can a bad stator cause eratic idle
can a bad stator cause high rpm
reasons snomobile is ideling high
stator causing high rpm problems
what does a stator do on a snowmobile
will a bad stator cause high or low rpm problem
will a bad stator cause snowmobile not to idle
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.