Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #1

Sled: 1999 ZR600 EFI w/136" extension
07-08 Mileage: 150
06-07 Mileage: 50
ATV: 2001 YZ 125
2007 Mileage: 50
Hi guys thanks for visiting, i was just wondering what the best type of grease is for my cat? i know arctic cat has their own low temp grease or whatever, but would i be fine just using standard automotive grease?

any info helps!
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #2

No you will not be fine using std auto grease. The Arctic Cat grease is low temp and flows well in cold temps.
700Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #3

Sled: 2003 Arctic Cat ZR800 Sno Pro
07-08 Mileage: Yet to come!!
06-07 Mileage: 1000
ATV: none
2007 Mileage: NA
2006 Mileage: NA
I was told the key is to use a LOW TEMP snowmobile grease! High temp or standard auto grease gets to thick in the cold weather. I have used both Cat and Polaris grease and had great luck with both of them! It is not that much more than standard grease so why take the chance? My 2 cents worth!
spatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sled: 2015 XF7000sp Limited
10-11 Mileage: 1568
09-10 Mileage: don't ask.....
Yep, I've always used the Cat grease myself and never had any problems with it.

Need info on riding Pa??
http://www.pasnow.org
Pennsylvania Snowmobiling | Facebook

PA Certified snowmobile Safety Instructor
Ride safe arrive safe
contact Don@ dadsf7@hotmail.com

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."-- Ronald Reagan

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." -- Ronald Reagan

dadszr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #5

Sled: '98 ZRT 800, '78 Pantera F/A
Just for argument's sake.... (and I know this will get everyone worked into a lather, but.... )

So, if low-temp grease is all that will work in cold temps, then what is the deal with all automobiles out there using "standard" viscosity grease and not blowing up/breaking in cold weather (at least, not due to lube issues...)? I certainly agree that low-temp grease might be better optimized for cold weather, but it's not like standard grease stops lubricating when it gets cold. And especially when talking about lubing things like suspension pivots and spindles on our sleds, "flow" isn't really an issue like it is with tight tolerance, high speed items like wheel bearings....

Again - I'm not saying low-temp grease doesn't work. But just for the record, I've always used standard automotive weight grease in my sleds for the past 25-30 years, and I've never had a part fail due to lack of lubrication. Take it for what it's worth...
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #6

Sled: 2007 F-6 SnoPro + 2007 F-5 LXR
07-08 Mileage: 14
06-07 Mileage: 450
ATV: We Build BTM ATVs
Use Arctic Cat low Temp grease only. Regular automotive grease will stiffen and not perform as intended.
This is a no brainer as well as the reason you would pay almost $50.00 a gallon for APV oil over regular stuff when running a Power Valve Cat.
taylor motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #7

I agree with running the correct injection oil if you have a power valved motor. But we're talking simple pivot suspension lubrication here, not petroleum combustion residue.

The Valvoline automotive grease I use is rated from -60 deg F to +425 deg F, and is compatable with all existing lithium-based greases. Not sure where you ride, but I've never been out in ambient temps below -60 F, so I'm well within Valvoline's intended performance envelope. I think I paid 5 bucks for a tube...no idea what 'Cat charges for low-temp grease, but it's irrelevant - I use the same grease for my car and sled. Just one less thing to clutter my garage and have to keep track of.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #8

Sled: 2001 600 triple touring 2012 Grand Touri
ATV: 99 big bear, 91 Suzuki Quadrunner
I agree Ventura II, I use Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease for my tractor that I use year round and I am not about to change grease in the gun to lube the sled. The lucas is also rated for use in lower temps than we will ever see here (or ride in for that matter). I also question running a low temp grease in the jackshaft bearing that is subjected to higher temps from the clutch
Snowmobile Club
320 Sandy Hook Rd
Pontypool, ON
wbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #9

Sled: 2007 Z570LXR
Automobiles and tractors have power steering and the likes. Snowmobiles dont and as such it probably would be hard to turn the steering should you use automotive grease. Other than that issue you would think grease is grease.
fossill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fossill @ Dec 28 2007, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Automobiles and tractors have power steering and the likes. Snowmobiles dont and as such it probably would be hard to turn the steering should you use automotive grease. Other than that issue you would think grease is grease.[/b]

Are you kidding or serious?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page
1243k11

best cold weather grease

best grease for snowmobile
best grease for snowmobile suspension
best grease for snowmobiles

best snowmobile grease

cold weather grease

grease for snowmobile
low temp grease for snowmobiles
low temp grease polaris snowmobiles
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.