Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #1

Sled: 1998 ZR 600 EFI LE
06-07 Mileage: 400
ATV: Suzuki Quadrunner 4x4
Ok, heres the problem.

My friend that I bought the sled from, put a D&D Pipe and Chip in the sled, and I think ever since he did that is when the problems started. It seems to be fouling plugs like crazy, and runs on one cylinder alot now. I was told I should something to tune the EFI fuel maps and stuff, but those are around 400$ and dont really wanna mess with that. I was also told that I need to turn down the oil pump? No clue how to do that, so if anyone could gimme a heads up, that would rock. As far as I know, the oil is on the stock settings.

When he added this stuff, was he supposed to turn down the oil injection or something? Im guessing thats why its fouling out plugs like crazy? Is there any place I can bring my sled in Minnesota to get it tuned properly? Or should I just do it myself, never messed with jetting or EFI tuning, or any of that lol.
Velislide is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #2

Sled: F7, ZR900
ATV: BF 750
First put the stock pipe and chip back in the sled and see if the problem goes away. If it does call D&D and tell them what the problem is. Make sure the chip matches your ECM.

You would have to be dumping a TON of oil to create the problems you describe. A little too much oil is a good thing, your engine will last longer. That shouldn't have anything to do with the problems you are having.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #3

He lost the stock pipe somehow, but I do have the stock chip. Basicly I'll have to get what I have working, not sure what else to do.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #4

Sled: 02 ZR 800EFI CC, Crossfire 600EFI
Two things right off the bat;

Make sure the symbol on the ship matches the symbol on the ECU case. Make sure the chip is installed properly, no bent pins. Secondly get the stator tested, sounds like it may be shot which is common on these sleds if run too hot in warm conditions. You don't need to mess with the fuel map or the oil setting whichshould be OK. You can test oil consumption after the issue is fixed. With the pipe/chip combo and proper clutching that sled will rip!! I miss mine.
ZRrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 AM   #5

Is there a way I can check the oil settings to make sure they are where they should be? And not been toyed with or something... Also how do I get the stator tested? Sled ran great till he put the pipe+can+chip into it.

Heres the sled as it sits! lol, the exhaust u see is from my friends 460 v8 that was running for a minute.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #6

There are a ton of posts here on stator problems and testing just look around a little. Does the chip match your computer? That will cause problems.

You don't have an oil problem yet. Too much oil is GOOD! You would have to run richer than 10:1(you would have to fill the oil 2 times for every tank of gas) to have the problems you describe. Once you get it running top off the gas and the oil and take it for a ride. Then top them both off again so you know what you used. Make the calculation and you know what your oil:fuel ratio is.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #7

Looked around for awhile, couldnt find anything on testing stators, any help? lol.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #8

Would it be possible to drain the oil and just run premix for the first tank? To make sure its just the oil consumption thats the problem? If it ran perfect with premix, then I just need to adjust the oil injection settings... right?

To do this do I need to disable the oil pump somehow or something? Or can I just run premix with no oil in it.. thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #9

Drain the oil out of the reservior and run it for a SHORT time on premix. Without the injection you won't be getting any oil to the crank bearings so I wouldn't run it long.

You said it had this problem since your friend installed the pipe and chip so why do you think it's an oil problem? I know racers running 12:1 and the engine makes a ton of power. Did your buddy mess with the pump when he swapped the pipe? 9 times out of 10 the last change caused the problem, thats why I say check the pipe and chip and don't worry about the oil till you get it running.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #10

Well it does run the way it is, just annoying when you foul plugs at lower RPMs. He also rebuilt the topend on it, so thinking maybe he turned up the oil on it while he was breaking it in, he usually ran Blue Marble in it. He doesnt remember much about it, was maybe 2 years ago.

Ok I wont be running premix then if it wouldnt be getting oil in places it needs. I dont have a way to see if its the chip or the pipe, as he lost the old pipe somehow. Would I be able to run the stock chip with the D&D pipe?

Thanks for the input, been fixing little things on it all day, had a crack in the hood and got that all riveted back onto a plate w/ black rivets, looks good as new.

The chassis/stator has 6,600 miles on it, so getting the stator tested will be one of the first things I do before going into anything else I think, just need to figure out how, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page
1998 arctic cat 600 efi pipe tuning
1998 arctic cat zr 600 efi d&d pipe/chip combo for sale
98 zr 600 efi hot chip wont run
98 zr 600 efi tuning

arctic cat efi tuning

arctic cat efi tunning
arctic cat zr 600 efi tuning
d&dpipe forsale 98 zr 600 efi
how to tune an efi sled artic cat
zr 600 efi tuning
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.