Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #1

Sled: 03 ZL 600E.F.I SS
06-07 Mileage: 2200?
I have found answere to most my issue's here on this forum,that I've been trying to fix since last year.

To start with I have a 03 ZL 600 EFI SS. The rear shock's gave out right after I bought it, and untill I found a old post here didn't know what shock's to get. Of course my dealer wouldn't tell me.

I'm going to order the #'s soon and get that part out of the way.

The next issue is the clutching on my zl is weak(must be for beginer) I hate the way it work's all the way around. I have spoken with a few people with ZR's that said the EPI tail kit's realy help out....would this also give the ZL more agressive clutching(I'm a ditch banger and deep powder rider,when it's there). My biggest issue with the stock ZL setup is slow backshifting and no power in loose power. Would a clutch kit be worth the $150 ?

MY last issue is with the power valves.....seem's like I'm cleaning every 100 miles. I have run every type of oil from CAT oil to Amsoil with the same issue's. I have heard that there was a problem with the oilinjection pump putting out to much oil....and my sled does drink the oil. Was this a problem of just a rummor ? What can be done to correct the power valve's gummy/sludge/oil build up ? I have been wondering if my clutch issue's(motor way out of peak power) could be part of the issue. Under normal speed it's right on the edge of the power valves opening,so unless you ride WOT all the time they start to stick, not wanting to open up when needed.

Other than the thing's above I haven't had any other problem. With 1700 miles on the sled are there other thing's I should know that these are prone for ? I just don't want to ride this year haveing to carry 2 can's of carb cleaner.....and missing every jump.

slushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #2

Sled: 2001 zr 800 08 f-8 snopro
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 1400
08-09 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 1400
06-07 Mileage: 1200
clutching is everything it is worth the 150 for the kit. i always ride one year with stock clutch then buy a kit night and day every time.

as for your power valves you have a problem is your sled smoking alot? look at your oil pump with the sled off of course push the throttle in and see when the pump opens and shuts make sure it is not sticking open . make sure it is adjusted right. also check your apv cable length to see if your in spec. get it running right and buy a clutch kit and that little sled should rock
01zr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #3

Sled: 03 ZL 600E.F.I SS
06-07 Mileage: 2200?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01zr800 @ Sep 11 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
clutching is everything it is worth the 150 for the kit. i always ride one year with stock clutch then buy a kit night and day every time.

as for your power valves you have a problem is your sled smoking alot? look at your oil pump with the sled off of course push the throttle in and see when the pump opens and shuts make sure it is not sticking open . make sure it is adjusted right. also check your apv cable length to see if your in spec. get it running right and buy a clutch kit and that little sled should rock[/b]

Where do I find the spec for the APV cable's ??? I have spoken to the dealer and they said they said it's just a personal prefrence....I talked to 2 local shop's and they gave me some run-a-round BS about well this and that. In the end the 1 shop said they didn't know the other shop said they just set them like choke cable's.

I have tryed the cables from no free play to 3/4in free play and every thing inbetween. They seemed to work best at about 1/4 inch free play. As far as the oil pump I never checked into all that much. The mark's lined up at ideal and WOT,the arm returned and that's is far as I went.

The sled DOES seem to smoke a little more than it should.....well the whole right side of my bellypan,and side are covered in a dark oil residue. I've cleaned it off and it's back in a week or so. It realy hasn't fouled plug's,I used 1 set in 700 mile's. I'm very good to my sled,it's alawas warmed up prior to running and riden VERY nicely untill up to temp. SO this plug life seemed short. My Skidoo(503 fan cooled) ran 2 year's and 2000+ miles on the same set.

As far as my spark plugs they look like crap after about 20 mile's. They are BLACK and sticky,but not fuel type black....they also get a gummy buildup(kinda like APV's). I have tryed "Plugin it" a few time's, 1 run for over a mile WOT and the plug's don't clean up. That's the part that has me stumped.

I did find a post on "snowmobileworld.com" about people talking about a diffrent oil pump arm that change's the oil ratio. However I haven't been able to contact any of those people.

So any input would be great.....I'm hopeing to get my sled TO-DO list finshed early this year....not till after 2 foot of snow.

slushrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Sled: 94 ZR 580
Black and fouled plugs, and excessive smoke, are usually a sign of too much fuel, but that gets much trickier on an EFI engine. You should check the indicator marks on the opil pump boss to see if the marks line up at closed throttle and wide open. You should probably take the air box, and maybe even the throttle bodies off to give you good access to the oil pump. If you think you have been using too much oil the only real way to know is to measure how much you are using relative to the amount of fuel you using. To reduce the amount of oil being injected you adjust the cable down at the oil pump. What is your fuel consumption? How much oil are you using relative to the fuel?

You should get a factory maintenance manual for your sled. The manual will give step-by-step, illustrated instructions on how to adjust the oil pump and APV cables, and how to tear down and reassemble everything on your sled. The ZL has the same engine as the ZR, so you can use the same clutching and should have the same performance. Check the online micro fische for the stock components to see what should have. Maybe you have poor backshifting because the clutches are dirty and/or worn out. Clutching is always the best bang for buck for performance improvements and should be the first thing you attempt, but only after getting the engine running as it should.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 01 ZR 600 X
10-11 Mileage: 400
09-10 Mileage: 30
08-09 Mileage: 500
07-08 Mileage: 503
06-07 Mileage: 1268
ATV: Dodge Ram
2007 Mileage: 50
32-34mm I think cable measurements

56g Poo weights
AC Yellow/white primary spring
EPI green spring(108lbs) set in second hole of Secondary
57/50helix

is what I had last year

works great IMO

I might take a bit off the 56 maybe a half gram ,somebody told me to try that,as my rpms dropped a bit on full out run,from 8300-8100 which he said should get my Rs up and stay

You might want to try red/white AC secondary spring

and my oil consumption is high also,I will be changing that this season
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #6

Sled: 2001 zr 800 08 f-8 snopro
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 1400
08-09 Mileage: 1200
07-08 Mileage: 1400
06-07 Mileage: 1200
check e-bay i bought the shop cd for 3 bucks tells you everything you need to know . good luck
01zr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #7

Sled: ZR500
your owners manual should tell ya apv cable measurement. your dealers sound like dufuses, find new dealers. hows the sled at start-up? cold? warm? the marks on the oil pump body are factory set marks, there a starting point, but you need to actually do the math and figure out you ratio before messing around too much on the pump adjustment. and then stick with the oil you are using when you check and set it, different oils flow at different rates in different temps, so use the same oil so you know what you got.
Snotcicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Z/ZL/ZR/ZRT/Tcat/EXT/jag/cougar

Search tags for this page

2000 artic cat zl 600 oil consumption

2001 zl 600 fuel problems

2003 arctic cat zl 600 oil and gas in air box

arctic cat zl600 ss problems
black sludge from arctic cat apv vent
how to adjust the throttle cable on a kawasaki zl600
what does the boss mark on a arctic cat oil pump look like
why does my zl 600 arctic cat use so much oil
zl 600 efi excessive oil consumption & lack of power
zl why do i have to choke it everytime even when its warm
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.