Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

too many miles for f7?

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  C-note 
#1 ·
Im looking to buy this f7 on craigslist. It has 8000 miles on it but about 130 psi in each cylinder. Its recently been built into a mountain/ trail sled (136 track, 2" paddles. lots of other custom work). He wants 2200 for it... My question is, from what i have said is this going to be a reliable sled that i can take on 100+ mile trips? He says the previous owner rebuilt it.

Thanks,

Wes

#4 ·
All my 03 F7s seen 15,000 miles with just piston changes along the way every 4-5000miles. The 03s are gambles if driven hard the bulk heads fell apart/twisted from the motor, I think I replaced about 8 in those years (04 bulk head or 03 factory racer bulk head was the fix).
130 psi seems low to me also, mine all hung around 140-150 range, and I only ran my sleds on 91 or better.

#5 ·
All my 03 F7s seen 15,000 + miles with just piston changes along the way every 4-5000miles. The 03s are gambles if driven hard the bulk heads fell apart/twisted from the motor, I think I replaced about 8 in those years (04 bulk head or 03 factory racer bulk head was the fix).
130 psi seems low to me also, mine all hung around 140-150 range, and I only ran my sleds on 91 or better.

#7 · (Edited)
Like posted by 99firecat... 140-145 is out of the box compression... 130 is nothing to sneeze at or worry about....

The f7's are like the "prudential" of the industry IF remotely taken care of.... (Sturdy as a rock)

If worried, replace both crank seals and while open, have crank checked for runout by a skilled technician...

Jftr... The '03 that originally belonged to "rob" (back when he had site pertaining to f7's PRIOR TO harccoresledder name change), is still going strong at over 16,000 with only a new piston set and gaskets by its second owner.... 'Nuff said about their engines imho.....

Other than the typical bulkhead and tunnel cracking and rail bolt hole egg shaping issues mentioned.... They are rock solid....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.