NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » XFR/Firecat/Sabercat » 2003 F7 EFI check engine light/running problems!

XFR/Firecat/Sabercat Regular 128" XF / Firecat/Sabercat chassis

Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #1

2003 F7 EFI check engine light/running problems!

Hello! First of all i want to apologize my somewhat bad english because im from finland and have come to ask help from you guys since i couldnt find it on my own language.

So the problem is that my F7 works perfectly and runs fine, but sometimes the check engine light starts flashing and the sled starts to run very badly when i press throttle. Its like the ignition would go totally ****** up, it sputters and coughs and runs very badly, it wont go over 50km/h (30mph for you usa guys out there!). On idle it runs somewhat good. I dont feel like thats a fuel problem.. but im not completely sure because this is EFI sled..

The check engine light flashing is constant im pretty sure, so according to the manual it means the sled is getting warm? First i thought this was a cooling problem but it can't be since i ride it in good snow conditions. And when the sled tells you its getting hot, it shouldnt change how the sled runs??

I have read the manual over and over again and checked what the check engine light flash counts mean, but none of them sounds reasonable (if the flash is not constant, but im pretty sure it is)

And when the problem occurs, i just shut it down and the check engine light goes away and the sled will work on throttle very fine again, but usually it happens again in few minutes..

If the sled is shut down over night, you can easily ride something like 20kilometers before the problem happens, and week ago i rode 60kilometer ride without this problem? So i really dont think its cooling thing.

Sorry for my long and dull post but i tried to explain the problem as well as i could! Anyone experiencing something like this out there? Someone who knows something about this dont be afraid to post it here! Everything helps!

EDIT: It is flashing 6 times so it indicates that the servo has some kind of problems? What does the servo do? lift APV valves or what? If the apv would have some problem in it, it wouldnt have anything to do with the sputtering?

Last edited by eeroz; 02-24-2013 at 07:12 AM.
eeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Sled: 2003 F7 EFI
My 03 f7 is having the same problem. Im gonna try to figure it out later today. I too get the 6 flash meaning servo. The servo tells the apv to work and move the valves. With that 6 flash code means ur valves are either stuck, cables need to be readjusted or the servo motor its self has gone bad. Id start by cleanin ur valves and makin sure the cables are adjusted right. Hope this helps
djwustr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

If the valves are stuck in the up position while the engine is idle-low rpm, could it cause it to run badly when you are trying to accelerate? Im guessing yes because i have 125cc 2 stroke street bike and i had some problems with power valve on it too.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Im not entirerly sure. Like i said im gonna check mine out later today. Mine runs fine at idle and will let me move it around the yard just wont accelerate over 30mph. When engine light comes on for the 6 flashes, its puttin the computer in limp mode. In limp mode ur gonna use a ton of oil. Ill let u know what i find with mine
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

Yes, im having exactly the same problem, i noticed that it feeds very much oil when the problem occurs. Spark plugs were covered in 2 stroke oil.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

Start with cleaning the valves and makin sure apv cables r adjusted right. Worse case ull need a new servo motor. Idk how common it is they fail but i hope this points u in the right direction
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

I just figured out my f7. Turns out the wire harness for the servomotor rubs against the secondary clutch shoring things out. Might wanna check that too.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

Sled: '05 F7 EFI Sno Pro, 2013 F800 Sno Pro
07-08 Mileage: 700
06-07 Mileage: 700
ATV: None
2007 Mileage: None
2006 Mileage: None
 Quote: Originally Posted by eeroz View Post
Hello! First of all i want to apologize my somewhat bad english because im from finland and have come to ask help from you guys since i couldnt find it on my own language.

So the problem is that my F7 works perfectly and runs fine, but sometimes the check engine light starts flashing and the sled starts to run very badly when i press throttle. Its like the ignition would go totally ****** up, it sputters and coughs and runs very badly, it wont go over 50km/h (30mph for you usa guys out there!). On idle it runs somewhat good. I dont feel like thats a fuel problem.. but im not completely sure because this is EFI sled..

The check engine light flashing is constant im pretty sure, so according to the manual it means the sled is getting warm? First i thought this was a cooling problem but it can't be since i ride it in good snow conditions. And when the sled tells you its getting hot, it shouldnt change how the sled runs??

I have read the manual over and over again and checked what the check engine light flash counts mean, but none of them sounds reasonable (if the flash is not constant, but im pretty sure it is)

And when the problem occurs, i just shut it down and the check engine light goes away and the sled will work on throttle very fine again, but usually it happens again in few minutes..

If the sled is shut down over night, you can easily ride something like 20kilometers before the problem happens, and week ago i rode 60kilometer ride without this problem? So i really dont think its cooling thing.

Sorry for my long and dull post but i tried to explain the problem as well as i could! Anyone experiencing something like this out there? Someone who knows something about this dont be afraid to post it here! Everything helps!

EDIT: It is flashing 6 times so it indicates that the servo has some kind of problems? What does the servo do? lift APV valves or what? If the apv would have some problem in it, it wouldnt have anything to do with the sputtering?
I'm having the same exact problem. Mine will come on with no consistancy. Mostly after I ride 50 miles or so. I'll shut off the sled then it will be fine. Then it will come back again later. Usually after the sled is good and hot and sitting for a few minutes.
I've done the servomotor check (voltage and resistance) and it seems good. I'm going to check the wiring harness by the secondary clutch. I'll let you know what I find.
KittyLnF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

I just bought an 05 f7 sno pro efi and at idle I tap the throttle and engine light goes on then off, does that almost every time I yap the throttle. And took it for ride around the yard and when I give a lot of throttle it stuffs. Out and engine light goes on then off, any idea?
gustheman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » XFR/Firecat/Sabercat

Search tags for this page

03 f7 check engine light flashing

2003 arctic cat f7 check engine light

2003 f7 check engine light

after bad gas 05 arctic cat firecat check engine light flickering

arctic cat f7 check engine light

check engine light on 2003 f7

f7 check engine ligh

f7 check engine light

f7 check engine light flashing

how to know if there is something is wrong with your secondary clutch on a 03 arctic cat f7

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.