XFR/Firecat/Sabercat Regular 128" XF / Firecat/Sabercat chassis

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

10-11 Mileage: Blown motor...
09-10 Mileage: 1k
08-09 Mileage: F7 purchase
ATV: '07 700 Cat
serious oil pump issue?!

Finally got out on the trails to break in my motor. Everything was going well but I started to notice that I was not burning as much oil as I should be. I had 100-1 premix in my first tank for break in also fyi. I got back from the first day of about 15-20 miles and compression was doing ok ect. I did not burn to much gas so I had not noticed that I barely burned any oil. I went for a 40 mile ride the next day, nice clean trails until the last 10 miles and they got rough and nasty. I got a check engine light flashing i.e. coolent was starting to over heat. I checked my oil bottle and I had not burned as much as I felt I should so I sat on the side of the trail for 15 min and also added more oil into my gas tank to increase that ratio so I would feel slightly more comfertable that I would not destroy my fresh rebuild. light went away, rode a few more miles, stopped again. did this a few times just to get back. I calculated my oil pump ratio to be in the 700-1 range!!!! wtf! I turned the adjuster in 3 turns. Went for about 30 miles the next time, everything seemed to be going well. Had to run a packed plowed logging road to get on a very nice groomed trail that no one had touched and everything was good minus the beating my carbides took. ran that trail but had to turn back for fuel in my buddies sled. had to run the mile or so on the hard packed road i.e. (no snow to cool) again and my light came on. Got to the the trail crossing and jumped the sled into some fluff and the light went away and did not come back on the 10 or so miles home. I was with 4 other sleds and none of them had over heating problems all week. got back my oil pump ratio was 170-1...... I dont think I have much more adjustment left on my linkage. It felt like it got harder to turn in roughly one more turn from where I am at now. what is going on!! I replaced the throttle-oil pump linkage when I rebuilt the motor becasue I accidently broke it. I got the new one from cat. Never had any oil consumption problems before motor rebuild. this was basicaly the first time that the sled had been out as in not just running in the shop sinse rebuild.

at idle it smokes a normal amount.

Coolant levels ect are good. compression is ok but rings havnt seated yet. I am sure I have caused excessive heat damage but I hope not.

what could be wrong with the oil pump? is it possible to hook it up wrong??

I need help!!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Sled: 2006 f7 sno pro, 2001 zr800\1010,05f7
so what your saying is because your temp light came on ,you think this is a oil pump issue,is this what your saying.just want to understand the question..if ya ride on a hardpacked trail with NO!! snow to cool the motor the light will come on.if my templight comes on i wouldnt be checking the oil bottle.

Last edited by the grinch; 01-07-2012 at 03:41 PM.
the grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Sled: 2005 F7 efi, 2004 F5 carb
10-11 Mileage: 1500
09-10 Mileage: 500
ATV: 94 Polaris Sportsman 400 2 Stroke
im curious if the math is right on the ratio of oil to gas....seems extreme...
2005_F7_maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

Sled: 2006 f7 sno pro, 2001 zr800\1010,05f7
uuuuuh fu--,dont sound right
the grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Sled: Jag-Z
ATV: z-400
at 700 to one that sled should have burned down
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Check your calculations... Not to mention its hard to figure out on a short ride and be accurate... As it is an average
RIsnoPRO83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2004 f7
just so you know the 03 have a small cooling system out of all the years it you turned the oil pump down 3 turns you might be ok do oil consumtion check for sure when i turned mine down it was 2.5 turns and i did a oil consumtion check 47.1 -1 50-1 is perfect but i think 3 turns will be 50-1 but you should check was it a pig on oil before ????? if it was you are problably close a lot of oils now will make the plugs white, but if it was rich on oil before and you are running the same plugs what you might be seeing is ash which will give you fase reading .
hell cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
03 were lean out of the box.. Some 65:1
RIsnoPRO83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

Sled: 05 440/700 sp
 Quote: Originally Posted by slednecks03f7 View Post
Finally got out on the trails to break in my motor. Everything was going well but I started to notice that I was not burning as much oil as I should be. I had 100-1 premix in my first tank for break in also fyi. I got back from the first day of about 15-20 miles and compression was doing ok ect. I did not burn to much gas so I had not noticed that I barely burned any oil. I went for a 40 mile ride the next day, nice clean trails until the last 10 miles and they got rough and nasty. I got a check engine light flashing i.e. coolent was starting to over heat. I checked my oil bottle and I had not burned as much as I felt I should so I sat on the side of the trail for 15 min and also added more oil into my gas tank to increase that ratio so I would feel slightly more comfertable that I would not destroy my fresh rebuild. light went away, rode a few more miles, stopped again. did this a few times just to get back. I calculated my oil pump ratio to be in the 700-1 range!!!! wtf! I turned the adjuster in 3 turns. Went for about 30 miles the next time, everything seemed to be going well. Had to run a packed plowed logging road to get on a very nice groomed trail that no one had touched and everything was good minus the beating my carbides took. ran that trail but had to turn back for fuel in my buddies sled. had to run the mile or so on the hard packed road i.e. (no snow to cool) again and my light came on. Got to the the trail crossing and jumped the sled into some fluff and the light went away and did not come back on the 10 or so miles home. I was with 4 other sleds and none of them had over heating problems all week. got back my oil pump ratio was 170-1...... I dont think I have much more adjustment left on my linkage. It felt like it got harder to turn in roughly one more turn from where I am at now. what is going on!! I replaced the throttle-oil pump linkage when I rebuilt the motor becasue I accidently broke it. I got the new one from cat. Never had any oil consumption problems before motor rebuild. this was basicaly the first time that the sled had been out as in not just running in the shop sinse rebuild.

at idle it smokes a normal amount.

Coolant levels ect are good. compression is ok but rings havnt seated yet. I am sure I have caused excessive heat damage but I hope not.

what could be wrong with the oil pump? is it possible to hook it up wrong??

I need help!!!!!
Yes you can hook it up wrong, the oil pump marks need to be lined up, deault on the pump it wide open, when you hook it up it shud be on the idle mark, DO NOT WIND up the little arm, the spring on the pump makes sure its always getting oil, the pump arm only does a quarter turn when u punch it
Aalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #10

10-11 Mileage: Blown motor...
09-10 Mileage: 1k
08-09 Mileage: F7 purchase
ATV: '07 700 Cat
 Quote: Originally Posted by the grinch View Post
so what your saying is because your temp light came on ,you think this is a oil pump issue,is this what your saying.just want to understand the question..if ya ride on a hardpacked trail with NO!! snow to cool the motor the light will come on.if my templight comes on i wouldnt be checking the oil bottle.
temp light started to come on the first time after a 40+ mile ride. rough trails at the end but have ridden worse with no problems. yes I understand that hardpacked with no snow to cool = overheat. i noticed the lack of oil burn while sitting on the side of the trail for 20 min trying to cool down.

My question is am I right with the understanding that a low oil mixture can cause an engine to run hotter then normal (cylinder temps)?

Main question is can the oil pump be hooked up wrong. if so, how can you tell? the stupid thing is facing forward and in a crappy freaking spot to work on.

i believe my calculations are right. seem to be getting correct numbers on the other sleds. tell me how you do it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » XFR/Firecat/Sabercat

Search tags for this page

arctic cat firecat oil pump

arctic cat oil pump arm

artic cat f7 2003 oil pump

bleeding the oil pump on a 2003 f7

firecat 2003 oil pump

how to do an oil pump delete
oil pump ltr 450

testing arctic cat oil pump f7

yamaha enticer oil pump bleed

zrt oil pump marks

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.