XFR/Firecat/Sabercat Regular 128" XF / Firecat/Sabercat chassis

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

Sled: 03 F7 EFI/99 ZR 600 EFI LE
12 Volt Supply Wiring Question

I am trying to set up a 12 volt dc power supply on my 03 F7 so that I can charge my gps, cell phone and maybe run a digital coolant temp gauge. So I bought a voltage rectifier/regulator off ebay for $10 that fits some mid to late 90's polaris atv's. It is polaris part #4060133 and is marked LR37-2. My problem is that the regulator has 5 wires coming from it instead of the 4 that I expected. The colors are: red, brown, yellow, yellow/brown and yellow/red. So far all that I can find is this poorly scanned wiring diagram. From this I can tell that the red wire is the 12 volt dc positive output and the brown being the negative. The a/c side of this diagram is where I get confused. I am thinking that the yellow wire is the positive a/c input and the yellow/brown is the a/c negative, but what does the yellow/red wire do? The bag that the regulator came is is labeled "rectifier/switch". The yellow/red wire is tied into some sort of speed limiter at the bottom the of schematic. Anybody have any ideas?

zrsnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

Sled: 03 F7 EFI/99 ZR 600 EFI LE
I realize that I am asking a question that is pretty much polaris specific but I was hoping that somebody might have some input.
zrsnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Sponsors

Sponsors
 Quote: Originally Posted by zrsnoman View Post
I am trying to set up a 12 volt dc power supply on my 03 F7 so that I can charge my gps, cell phone and maybe run a digital coolant temp gauge. So I bought a voltage rectifier/regulator off ebay for $10 that fits some mid to late 90's polaris atv's. It is polaris part #4060133 and is marked LR37-2. My problem is that the regulator has 5 wires coming from it instead of the 4 that I expected. The colors are: red, brown, yellow, yellow/brown and yellow/red. So far all that I can find is this poorly scanned wiring diagram. From this I can tell that the red wire is the 12 volt dc positive output and the brown being the negative. The a/c side of this diagram is where I get confused. I am thinking that the yellow wire is the positive a/c input and the yellow/brown is the a/c negative, but what does the yellow/red wire do? The bag that the regulator came is is labeled "rectifier/switch". The yellow/red wire is tied into some sort of speed limiter at the bottom the of schematic. Anybody have any ideas?

Okay maybe this will help, maybe not...

When dealing with AC current you don't have a positive wire and a negative wire per sey. AC is a little more complex as the wire is constantly ALTERNATING between positive and negative current, hence the name..

Single Phase AC Current like in your home uses a hot wire, and a neutral to power things like lights, it has one wire that constantly alternates between positive and negative.

Dual Phase AC current carries more power such as your stove in your home, this setup uses two wires, however their pulses or cycles are delayed to deliver more steady power between pulses.

Three Phase AC current is what's usually used to carry AC power to your home or power large AC Motors, the pulses in three phase are delayed by 1/3 again to allow a steady output.

Anyway the point of all this is:
It looks like from that diagram the polaris stator is a three phase stator. Thus the rectifier setup is going to be looking for a three phase input, or power coming in on all three yellow wires. As long as you're connecting the yellow wires to yellow wires the order shouldn't matter much.

That being said if you only have two yellow wires coming from your stator I don't know if just connecting them both will result in the rectifier putting out enough usable DC voltage. In short what the rectifier's job is to do is to take the Alternating Current, and via some diodes redirect the electrons so that they're all going the same way (Direct Current)..

Three phase stators produce much more usable current than other designs, this is why they're favored. Below is a simple diagram of how your rectifier works inside:

R S T represent the three individual phases coming out of a typical 3 phase stator. The diodes act as 1 way valves for current preventing the positive and negative electrons from alternating once they reach the rectifier. Once a positive pulse travels in on R S or T it can only go up (on the diagram) through the diode and out on the positive wire. When R S or T produces a negative pulse the upper diodes block it and it can only travel out the negative wire. (leaving the rectifier)

In theory it should work with only two wires although it ultimately depends on how much juice your stator is putting out as to how much DC current you'll get.

I hope this helped, and didn't further complicate what you're trying to do!

As an alternative, you could always put the largest battery you could fit in there and just charge it between rides. I had an old 87 banshee that I put a battery on for LED headlights and a GPS, it lasted a long time between charges, when out on a ride I would use jumper cables to the truck to charge it when no battery charger was an option.

2005 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE
28" Monkies on LE Whels
Whoolie Shop Underbody LEDs / Snork LEDs
Twin 5" Vision X Evo Prime LED Offroad Lights
Stock Headlight Delete
Viper Elite 4000 lb winch
Airdam /// w/ fixed plate mod
Racked Rad
Full 2" Snorkels

Ask me about LED Lighting & Accessories for your ride
www.whoolie.com

pondtunes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pondtunes For This Useful Post:
zrsnoman (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

just buy a koso AC to DC converter and be done...very simple
brker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » XFR/Firecat/Sabercat

Search tags for this page

arctic cat 12 volt ac power -wheels

arctic cat prowler wiring

how to wire 12 volt on arctic cat firecat

is brown wire positive or negative 12 volts

john deere 2005 gator electrical diagram

polaris part 4060133

snowmobile 3phase rectifier wiring

what color wire is direct hot on polaris atv
wiring diagram 12v rectifier for a snowmobile
wiring for voltage regulator f7
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.