XFR/Firecat/Sabercat Regular 128" XF / Firecat/Sabercat chassis

Old 02-22-2005, 10:50 PM   #1

Sled: '04 F-6/EFI Nightfire
ATV: '00 Polaris Sportsmen 500
...and it looks like I have a busted chain or screwed up reverse gear. Anyone have any problem with their reverse grinding/slipping? Mine is still under warranty and it's going back tomorrow. I even told them about my problem last season with this. Now it's cooked...
Mk-82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
i had my driveshaft bearing go on my sled... thought it was a chain or gear when it went. good luck at your dealer.
~Mike #177
ArcticFX Yellow n2o F5 *SOLD!!!!*
best 1/4mi time 11.58 @ 112.79mph, yes, on a 500...
firecatsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #3

Sled: 2004 EB F6
Replaced both my chaincase bearings last week. Bottom one grenaded pretty good...
ToyotaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #4

Sled: Sabercat 700
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mk-82@Feb 23 2005, 12:45 AM
...and it looks like I have a busted chain or screwed up reverse gear. Anyone have any problem with their reverse grinding/slipping? Mine is still under warranty and it's going back tomorrow. I even told them about my problem last season with this. Now it's cooked...
Sorry to say, mine had the same initial symptom - grinding in reverse, then leaking fluid bad.
Don't ignore it!!!
I was left stranded on the trail - something let go in the chain case. Ran out of fluid and got so hot it melted a wire that was touching outside of case.
Love the sled but don't like these types of troubles!!!!
Sabre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #5

Sled: 2001 Mountain Cat 800
I am repairing a similar problem.
My sled is older, no revers, and probably unrelated....but I still want to share my frustrations with you.

First my speedo quit
That was because I was loosing the bearings on the shaft. - I later learned.

Then the bearings totally gave out, and the track siezed.

That was replace at the lodge, they said chain and gears were ok.

The next time I went riding I heard a grinding under heavy accelleration.

Then the next time, the gears and chain broke. Now I am shopping for a new gear set-up.
pjnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #6

Sled: 06 Crossfire sno pro, 03 F7 sno pro
ATV: 01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO.....sorry
2007 Mileage: 100
2006 Mileage: 25
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
 Quote:
That was replace at the lodge, they said chain and gears were ok.

The next time I went riding I heard a grinding under heavy accelleration.

Then the next time, the gears and chain broke. Now I am shopping for a new gear set-up.[/b]
Sounds like they forgot to tighten the chain

06 Crossfire 700 sno pro

09 Crossfire 800R
cmscat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:57 AM   #7

Dealer said don't worry about it,it's covered by the warranty. Sun & Snow,New York Mills,NY is who I deal with. Always been good to me and I will always be going back. Haven't heard anything yet. It seemed more prevelant when using reverse initially. A grinding/slipping noise from chaincase when you went to reverse then forward. Only happened sometimes,would go away and then bam...Stranded on a remote lake,not even runnign it hard. Day before that,I just had commented to myself riding alone,how dependable it was! Go figure.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #8

Two new drive sprockets and a chain...all covered under warranty. Guess you really have to keep it adjusted more than any other machine. Apparently the auto adjuster types worked to good to keep them on the newer machines,now we are the auto adjuter.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #9

Sled: 05 SabreCat 700 Lx EFI / 98 ZL-500
Glad I found this thread.
My Sabercat snapped the chain just this weekend.
I was up in Canada, just 20 miles south of Halfway Haven when I started to hear the slightest funny sound that kind of sounds like brake or chain whine except it wasn't a constant sound. It oscillated like the chain was going loose - tight - loose over and over again. I checked the belt and brake. They both looked okay. Checked the chaincase oil and it was dry. Don't know where the oil went, I assume the drive axle bearing failed??? There was oil in it before I left for Canada. Siphoned some two-stroke oil into the case and continued to limp my way up to Halfway. The addition of oil into the chaincase didn't make the sound go away. Incidentally; I should add that the sled has about 3000 miles on it. Chain snapped 1 mile south of Halfway Haven. Got towed in, had the owner Steve make a phone call for me and a local from Missinabee drove 130 KM down to pick me up and then take me and my Sabercat 362 more KM to the Soo. Then he still had to drive 430 KM back home to Missinabee. All for a reasonable price of course. i.e. reasonable = VISA fast cash... ouch.
I'm fairly confident that this will be covered under warranty, assuming there isn't a gaping crack in the bottom of my chaincase.

Not much you can do when the chain has already stretched to the point that it starts making funny noises. I figure the chain had stretched to the point that the adjuster was pushing clear through to the point that the chain teeth were rubbing on themselves on the other side.

Some guy on an F7 asked me if I had received the CHAIN CASE BEARING UPDATE. He insisted that it was with respect to my Sabercat and all of the chain driven sleds. He said that cat had placed too thick of an o-ring between the gear and the bearing and it would cause a failure that would lead to lost oil or a cracked bearing race and finally a snapped chain. Nothing is listed though at waconiafarm.com.

Guess I'll find out more in the coming days. In the meantime, check your chaincase oil when you top off your 2 stroke oil.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #10

Sled: 2004 F6 EFI
ATV: 05 arctic cat 400 4x4
same **** happened to me this weekend, well almost, i noticed a loud chunking and clicking at take off, i know i keep my adjusters tight but somehow the chaincase was bone dry of fluid, so we stopped on the trail, and i went with my bud and got oil, well it was fine for a while but that chaincase was HOTTT, we kept goin and it started again later, so we stopped and brought it back to the nearest bar and got it on the trailer, anyways the chain is so stretched out, no freakin dealer had the part up there, O rings we suspect were bad so season is done for me, when i replace the chain, everything else is gunna get replaced too, even my track, bearing is fine though. **** happens

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » XFR/Firecat/Sabercat

Search tags for this page
04 f6 chain case sclamatics
2003 f7 chain case grinding
2004 arctic cat f6 drive chain
2004 arctic cat sabercat chaincase

2004 arctic cat sabercat something in chaincase broke

2005 arctic cat f6 chain case problem

arctic cat f7 chain case oil
how to adjust arctic cat sabercat backing chain
sabercat chain case grinding

sabercat chaincase problem

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.