Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Swapping secondary

8K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  720 
#1 ·
Was wondering if it's possible to swap a newer roller secondary on a vintage cat,sled is a 78 el Tigre 6000.. already put a newer primary off a z 440 due to the original being shot, but looking to put a better secondary on to go with the newer primary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
wow, i kind of miss my old eltigre, maby il get another one and sell the jag.

#4 ·
What weights in your drive clutch. You will need a low helix 47,45,48/44 if you have stock like 440Z weights. Most likely still have to take them down some. White or blue spring would be best yellow will be the most common to come across though. If you havnt got the clutch yet on e bay 48/44 with blue spring are on there quiet offen. Might be a deal if the price is right

#7 ·
You will be very happy with the reverse cam clutch. There is more versatility on helix, spring combinations. The 1 3/8 belt is a better set up, make sure your primary is set for a 1 3/8 belt also. Your deflection is set by shimming the secondary. You will need to make sure you get all the spacers for the secondary as well because the reverse cam set's in the machine opposite of the old secondary. I have had good results with the Carlise Max1048m3 belts, but that your preference. By the way, you can make one of the spacers yourself with a piece of pipe. The inside spacer and bolt usually comes with the clutch if you buy it used.

#10 ·
Got a chance to take it for a spin, a lot better then before. Still doggy from idle to low end but I'm sure that's the warm weather, too much oil in gas, and no carb boots. She's fast on top end though. Next thing I'm going to do is newer chain case and Hydraulic breaks.

#13 ·
Needle is in 3rd setting, Pilots are 30, mains 320, I'm at about 1000 feet and thinking I should drop it a few, manual says 270. Weights are 52 gram and it's a newer 6 post with the fixed weight, red spring. Secondary is yellow spring and in center hole

#12 ·
The z weights might be a little to much, I've been running a-13 and a red spring with a roller secondary 49* helix. With the stock gearing they are no good for a hole shot but really pull in the mid range thru the top. Use the spacers for the secondary off the 81 6000 , you can find them pretty easy or cross ref them they are used on jags till 91 if I remember right. You can run the same belt as the 81 6000 the part # crosses up to a newer #.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.