Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

72 Panther 440: Need some clutch help

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BackyardRacer 
#1 ·
So I got my sled all together only to discover that the PTO side crank seal was shot. I tore the motor down, and got the clutch off, but there is this tapered aluminum thing seized on the crankshaft. How do I go about removing this without damaging it? Or can I get a replacement? I can't seem to find a part number for it in the manual... Please help. I really want to get this thing going before the snow leaves for the season.

#4 ·
I'm assuming you only took the outer part of the clutch off and the "tapered" thing you are talking about is the "fixed sheave"? That has to come off the crankshaft using the correct clutch puller. I made my puller and it works awesome, but they are easy enough to buy too.
Good luck!

#6 ·
Freeze off method is easy.
Tip sled on it's side.
Fill bolt hole with water.
Screw in bot that fits with teflon tape on it for a good seal.
Tighten bolt as far as it can go to increase water pressure.
Leave outside in the cold and it should be popped off the next morning.

#7 ·
But if you have the correct bolt for the hole why not just slide a socket in against the crank and pull the clutch off immediately? I've heard some clutches can be very stubborn, but I've never had an issue "yet". At least nothing that a little kiss from an air chisel on the end of the puller bolt didn't take care of.

#10 ·
Hi,
The 440 used a Salsbury 910 drive clutch.
These clutches used a tapered aluminum adapter that was separate from the fixed sheave/hub.
This allowed Salsbury to use the same fixed face for a variety of different applications by making different "adapters" for said apps.
I use a MAPP gas torch to quickly heat the aluminum adapter and make it expand and can usually get them off without too much trouble.
Later .......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.