Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

73 El tigre, needs more speed

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Peto164 
#1 ·
I have rebuilt a 73 440 El Tigre, the motor runs great, everything is stock. I'm ready to run some vintage radar runs. The best top end speed I can get is 64 MPH. My secondary does open all the way but on the primary clutch, the belt could still climb up another 1/2". I'm using a stock belt, which is already 3/16" to the plus (44" is spec.) . I don't see how I can shorten the center to center on this sled. Should I try a longer belt, and if so, how much longer to be able to use the primary clutch to the max?

#4 ·
I am running a stock Hex clutch, green spring. Center to center is correct, 11 3/8 and I am free floating the secondary. Engagement seems good. I don't know what my RPM's are, tach not working. But the motor does wind up great, I think anyway, sounds good and seems maxed out. Running 340 main jet, could put the 360's back in. I just can not see a way to shorten the center to center without modifying the motor plate. Really don't want to go there. So I think my next option is a slightly longer belt. 73 el tigre', when you are at wide open, how far up the primary does the belt climb?

#5 ·
You need to know RPM to tell anything. You can get a tiny tac just wraps a wire around a spark plug wire to work pretty accurate its $50. Belt should go about 3/16 from the edge of the clutch. What shape is the hex clutch in could be binding. You could try tightening the driven spring or even drop a tooth on the top gear to see if you can shift it more. The 73 is the one year only driven needs the odd ball belt size everything thing else for Cat is shorter. Is the belt new the width good. A comet 102 will be an up grade over a hex clutch

#7 ·
The belt is fairly new, width is right on at 1 1/4". The clutch is in great shape, had it apart, replaced rollers, tolerances were good and moved in and out good. Had the clutch balanced also. If 3/16" from the top is max, then I could move up another 1/2" approx. The secondary is totally open at wide open throttle. There is more room on the helix to slide open but the spring is totally compressed, stopping any more opening of the secondary. Thinking now I could try finding a different spring. I like the tach idea, I will do that. I would like to keep the clutch stock but maybe I will find a comet 102 and try that. Thanks to all for the comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.